Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this somewhere before and had a few comments on it, but I wanted to get your take on this. I have seen many dead hogs in this part of the country, including one that I killed, just lay until in turns into an oil spot. Nothing seems to eat hogs up this way. I have no idea why that is, but I have been watching one that is laying close to Bermuda for three weeks now, and again nothing has touched it. A dead dog that was laying rather close to the hog has long been taken care of, but the hogs always just lay there. Does anyone else see this, or do coyotes and buzzards work them over around yall?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was hunting this year and shot at a big sow, i didnt make a good shot on her so off i went to look for her in the woods. While looking for her i came up on this dead hog that must have weighed 200-250 pounds. This hog had been laying thier for at least a week. I too wondered why nothing , even buzzards have not taken care of this thing. If your wondering i never found the intended hog i shot.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yeah, some POS dumped a small hog on our road, and the thing never got touched. They have dumped deer carcasses in the same area, and the coyotes and buzzards have them picked clean in a matter of a few days, but nothing touched the hog.

Ed

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
At an old hunting camp, there was a golden lab that would beg for hand outs when we were cleaning deer. It would also lick the blood on the ground. When cleaning a hog, we could not get that dog to take one bite of the hog meat. He would sniff it then walk off.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
We've had the same thing happen with big boar hogs. The ones that we cleaned and butchered and then just dumped the guts got eaten, but I've heard that it was other hogs doing the scavaging. I'm not sure if buzzards and coyotes will eat them or not.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder why that is? How come nothing in the wild eats a hog, at least that is my experience. I am not sure if other wild hogs would eat it or not, but I do know they take forever to rot away. Kind of weird to me is all. Yall take care.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I dumped a big boar hog a few months back. i had removed the shoulders/hams/backstraps. yotes and buzzards cleaned up the rest. i could see where it would be hard to get through the hide if they werent already half butchered.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i have heard of people cleaning the hog and then dumping the carcass in the area they shot the hog and come back and try to kill another hog over the dead hog but as for other critters it does seem to have to be opened up quite a bit for buzzards and yotes to get in on the action have no idea why!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts