Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Dauphin Island surf?

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  StoneBear 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
I'm getting to get a quick gulf trip in to heading to DI. What should I be throwing for pomp?

#3 ·
RacFocus, thanks for the reply. I went out last Thursday morning and used some fish bites and got one nice kingfish. I threw some other stuff but the water was so flat I didn't expect to catch much. The better half and I went for a walk on the beach Friday morning (getting ready to head home). A fellow was surf fishing and using fish bites. I talked to him for a while and he was hooking up pretty good with them.

#5 ·
My family is headed out there in mid August. My elderly mother likes family vacations, but her idea is to read books on the beach in a quiet area and go out to eat.

I'm an experienced trout/red lure fishermen from Texas. Will there be trout/reds in the surf or bay side around the island? If so, will my same topwaters/soft plastics work in DI?

I've already read about pompano fishing and have looked at youtube videos. Seems pretty simple, buy the rigs, buy some fish bites and hope for clear water. Is it worth trying it there?

Any tips or tricks, I'd appreciate it.

Brad

#6 ·
Brad, I didn't have much luck when I visited a few weeks ago. I only fished a few hours. I fished there a few years back in November and caught some nice redfish out of the surf on Mullett chunk bait. I fished just east of the fishing pier on the gulf Side not the basin side. There also used to be a nice hole near Raphael Simms st but I didn't check it this time. There is a live bait shop just behind the sandwich shop near the ferry. You can also get good fresh or frozen bail at Jemison's bait and tackle on DI parkway. I've seen people wade fishing in the bay over near there using popping corks. I've caught reds over there with a popping cork and shrimp from Bayside Park. Stone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.