Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I went out once and got about 200 yards off the beach. I want to venture out 1/2 mile or 1 mile to try to get some bigger fish. What dangers are there in doing this?

I will have a VHF Radio
I will have my pfd on at all times
I will bring adequate food and water
I will have proper sun protection
I will have my kayak attached to myself with a rope

Is there ever any way that I cannot paddle back in due to current, etc? How can I plan for this ahead of time?

Some of you pros enlighten me on some problems I may encounter the farther out I go.

· Registered
454 Posts
Something I have wondered, has anyone ever heard of getting seasick in a Yak? I've not heard that yet. I know (from personal experience) that you can get so seasick in a boat that you can't function, that would not be good in a Yak.

· Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I'm taking my first Gulf trip this weekend with a partner of course. I know my prep has been to minimize my gear to assure I can grab everything easily and if I happen to tumble less to recover. Of course have a PFD, sunscreen, water and food. I'll have my cell phone fully charged in a water proof box safely stored (always do this) to act as a GPS and emergency contact if needed for either. Also a quick way to get away from any fish you don't want in your boat with you. No one wants a shark in their lap so having a knife to cut the line if its of any size is a good idea. And while I've been in rough conditions inshore I made sure the surf was going to be light until I'm comfortable with surf launch and landing.

So aside from a buddy I think planning and knowing when to call it are going to be the biggest assets. If you aren't comfortable don't go. There will always be another day to try if you stay safe. I'll report back if I feel I was lacking anything or found things to look out for. I'm just planning my first time but the guys on here are vets.

· Registered
196 Posts
LEASHES!!! on all your gear that is not secure. Never know when you are going to dump the yak. Could be an expensive trip. +1 to everything everyone else has said. When you are coming back in and if the surf is rough I usually will jump out before the breakers and swim the yak in to prevent dumping it in the surf. i may or may not have done that a few times and been whacked in the head by the yak. Good luck and have a great time. There is nothing like it. As far as getting sea sick...it does happen. I have a buddy that has gotten sea sick in the yak. There are over the counter motion sickness pills that are no drowsy that you can get. I think they are Meclizine or compizine(sp). If you get sea sick you might want to look into those.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
A real danger is getting run over by a boat! It can be really hard to see you guys once the afternoon chop starts from the west. A little spray and glare on the wind shield and it can be VERY hard to see you guys out there. I have seen a few (very few) with a flag sticking up. I can see that pretty good. To the guy that almost got run over, what i was shouting at you as i went by was "I CAN'T SEE YOU WITHOUT A FLAG! GET A DANG FLAG BEFORE WE READ ABOUT YOU IN THE PAPER!!!!

· Senior Yakker
2,845 Posts
If you're launching somewhere away from a pier, like Pickens or Perdido, make sure you look back and find a landmark near where you're parked. Sucks paddling back to the beach to find that you are half a mile away from where your truck is.

· Registered
7,461 Posts
x2 on the run over danger

Also if you have to cross a channel look out for boats. I almost ran over a yakker who was in mid-channel at dusk, dark clothing, no flag. And a dark-green yak.

And, there was 500 feet of shallow water they could have been paddling in with no danger.

A real danger is getting run over by a boat! It can be really hard to see you guys once the afternoon chop starts from the west. A little spray and glare on the wind shield and it can be VERY hard to see you guys out there. I have seen a few (very few) with a flag sticking up. I can see that pretty good. To the guy that almost got run over, what i was shouting at you as i went by was "I CAN'T SEE YOU WITHOUT A FLAG! GET A DANG FLAG BEFORE WE READ ABOUT YOU IN THE PAPER!!!!

· Registered
871 Posts
Use frozen waterbottles for ice and not real ice, that way if you ever need the water to drink you have it.

I have a somewhat waterproof case for my phone I use that I then put in my dry bag. Plenty of service out to 5+ miles and I won't be anywhere close to that far out. Waterproof VHF is good but I'd much rather use my phone.

· Registered
12,492 Posts
I almost hit a guy 2 weeks ago, 2 miles out the pass going from West to East crossing the pass. Didnt see him until the last second. He was at the bottom of the wave until I was on top of him.... he acted pissed, he looked winded and beat pretty good, I offerred a ride in and he gladly accepted.....

I would not suggest going out more than a mile at most. You have to get back, wind and current can be a bitch..... PLEASE get one of those orange bicycle flags if your going to go out there......

· Registered
966 Posts
Also if you have to cross a channel look out for boats. I almost ran over a yakker who was in mid-channel at dusk, dark clothing, no flag. And a dark-green yak.

And, there was 500 feet of shallow water they could have been paddling in with no danger.

The danger of being run over is very real. A couple of weekends ago we saw a guy outside of the pass at Destin catching bait from a yak. He may be the stupidest person I've encountered on the water in a long time. That is like having a death wish. I've seen guys out in the gulf in yaks before that were almost impossible to see b/c of yak color, rolling swells, etc. Be safe and make sure you can be seen. Also, catch some fish!!:thumbup:

· Registered
99 Posts
Hell I went out with a friend of mine in his boston whaler and was almost killed. Guy driving the boat was turned around not paying attention. He could of killed us. Luckily we made it out ok and his waves pushed us away from him at the last second. We blew the air horn and whistle but the guy must of been deaf because he didnt see us until we were already behind him. Had no clue he had clipped the stern until after he passed by us. Crazy thing is I had my first black tip shark on the line and it was 6ft. First time experience in Pensacola Bay. Funny thing is my friends jumped in the water right before he clipped us. They had no clue I had a six ft shark on the line at the time until they were already back on the boat. I pulled it up as the guy in the other boat circled back around to see if we were ok.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.