Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the oppotunity to buy a 2013 outback too good to turn down. I'm planning on lauching at shoreline tomorrow. Do I need to be concerned about anything or will it be fairly calm and safe? Of course I have a life vest but will there be heavy boat traffic? I'm just planning on fishing the docks or do I need to go deeper? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No more dangerous than driving down 98. Just do what you can to protect yourself with proper safety equipment and stay visible, and you should be good. Can't say accidents never happen, idiots all over the world no matter what you do, but I've never had a problem and I fish alone most of the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I've been twice now with my dad to grassy point, but there was nearly zero boat traffic. Now that I've got my own it will save me a thirty minute drive to go somewhere in pensacola. Is there anywhere else y'all would suggest? Anyone headed out tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Be careful and you might ask to fish with a couple of other yakers on here. Have you fished salt much either in the bay or the gulf?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Get a safety flag and use it

Welcome to the area and kayaking. I wouldn't go out without a flag or something to make me a bit more visible. Unfortunately, my OB's are tan and not easily visible. I made my own flags up. Another guy suggested using old rod blanks for the flag pole. I wish I had run upon him prior to my exercise of making my own. Go to Wallyworld and buy some bright orange or red nylon fabric and cut it to what you want and staple or sew it up. Works well, or spring for the $50 rig from the kayak shops.

There are guys going elsewhere and you can jump in with them. A guy was looking for someone to go at Pickens. Like others, treat the boats as cars/trucks and think of yourself as a motorcycle. Keep your head on a swivel and enjoy the day. Go in pairs if you can as it is nice to have a buddy to watch your 6.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv fished every pier, bridge and shorline I can think of. 3 good solid years of saltwater fishing. I wouldn't call myself a pro but I'm not a noob.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not a yaker yet. Simply because when I do, I Know several things that will be a must for me. I do service work so I go into a lot of places, and have seen lots of Yaks. I have seen several that I think would be safe. It,s a matter a of proper prep. For example, I will want to go a good distance Off the beach. The guys yaks I've seen had gps units among other things. The use of common sense and proper prep are a must. As already stated accidents can happen on 98 or in the water. We just need to make sure we're not doing things to increase the odds of accidents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the information guys. I think I'm just gonna stay in close to the docks and bump some gulps for specks and reds. If anyone see a fat man in a yellow hobbie at shoreline park tomorrow paddle by to say hello.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
I've been in kayaks just about all my life, just never out of pensacola.
Ask that to the few that have had major issues in the last few days and weeks. It can be very dangerous wether you are experienced or not. When your by yourself, no one knows. Better to take a buddy. If your going to die, I would rather die with a buddy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to take a buddy, the problem is I live 50 miles from the water so no one around here has invested in a kayak. I fell in love with saltwater fishing I don't think I could ever go back to fresh.

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
You sound like you have your mind in the right place as far as getting prepared goes. Just prepare yourself well, and go for it! Be mindful of mother nature and your own personal limits.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
There are a lot of guys on here I see all the time on here trying to put together a yak trip. I saw where some guys just the other day were trying to round up a few folks to tarpon fish mobile bay. Just keep your eyes open and look at the posts. It's almost everyday I read threads about groups going yakking somewhere looking for someone to go

1 - 20 of 27 Posts