Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife and i have had quite a hectic and stressful year so far with the new addition to the family, the move, new jobs, etc, etc. anyway, we needed a getaway, and this was a "treat" that my wife and i cooked up for our birthdays (mine 10/16 and hers 10/8). i scored some smokin' tickets (19th row, near center) to the buffett concert in tampa for last saturday night, then we used some skymiles to get a flight, and rented an awesome little convertible to ride around in.

damn, what an AWESOME weekend!

pics:

2007 Saturn SKY : small, but a really cool little car. However, I was crammed in that thing like a sardine in a can! It was still a BLAST to have for a day.

View down one of the roads in St. Pete Beach on our way to lunch.

Val and I on St. Pete Beach.

Enjoying a few beverages at the tailgate outside the venue. Gotta love the goofy crap that people give you so that you'll look just as silly as them! :D

We had VIP access, so this was how close we got to park to the Amp. Damn.

Cool screen shot that I just had to get.

Just Jimmy and his guitar. Barefooted - gotta love it!

Can you tell that we're having some fun by this point? :D

Another of Jimmy... if you've never seen him live... wow!

Downtown Tampa, right before we headed for the airport to drop off the car and head home!

awesome trip and an awesome time! like i said, if you love "island escapism" then you've got to see jimmy at least once in concert!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Looks like a blast! Sounds like a well deserved time for Mom and Dad. May be your last for a while with a new born. ha ha. Glad you had a great time and shared it with us.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hell, i was practically born a parrothead. i've always had a thing for his music, and this is actually the third concert that we've made it to. however, this is the first one "out of town" that we've done "right". the first was at the BJCC in birmingham back when we lived in hoover. my wife got off work about 45 min before he opened, and we barely made it to our seats before the show started - but they were good - 15th row center. the next concert was 2006 in Atlanta at the hi-fi buys amphitheater. that was a horrible experience. we drove down that friday and got in later than we had hoped. our son LOVES jimmy's music and since he was under 3 (by just a few weeks) at the time, he could go in with us w/o a ticket. it was going to be a very late night for him, but he wanted to go so bad that we gave in. anyway, it rained all the way until 30-min before he started. we had to park over a mile from the gate since they absolutely SUCK there and didn't have 1/10th of the parking that they needed. we got to the gate and all the tailgaters had been waiting out the rain and there was a "mad rush" to get in. we stood in line for nearly an hour trying to get in. we missed the COMPLETE first set. sucks, but that's life. since we were late getting down, we had not stopped for anything to eat, so our son was starving (crackers and cheese was all that he'd had since lunch), so i went to track down some pizza and a drink and missed another 20-min of the show. we got to see less than an hour of good music and then it was over. we had good seats, but it just wasn't all that enjoyable of a time. our son loved it though, and that's what matters. we didn't tell him where we were going this year so that we could go w/o too much guilt! we did stop by the ron jon surf shop in the TPA airport and bought him a blue ukalele. as soon as he got it and figured out how to hold it and strum, he asked us to put on a JB DVD so that he could play along. lemme tell you, FINS via a 4-yo w/ a ukalele is AMAZING! :D

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
thanks for sharing. been listening to buffett sine the 70's. was turned on to him by a much "older" woman...she was 25 and I was 20...i've seen him at least 5 times in the 70's-80's...

i leave this on at work everyday...

http://www.radiomargaritaville.com/listen_now.htm

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Have seen him 17 times !!!!!!!!!!! What a blast you guys must have had.Seen him from Mobile to Pensacola airport. Mississippi to New Orleans. Have even seen him in St.Thomas and Lauderdale. A few other places to. So if you ever get the chance to see Jimmy Buffett. Jump on it and dont lookback.:letsdrink:letsdrink

Scott

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Awesome trip!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I saw Jimmy back in the early 70's.... in a High School gym in Wilmington, NC. Been one of my favorites ever since.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Great shows - especially the outdoor ones. My favorite album in college was the live - You Had To Be There LP recorded in the Fox. One of my buddies used to claim he was the guy on the album yelling at him to do God's Own Drunk. Not as much of a parrothead as some but I loved seeing him the couple of times I've been and really like all his music (although I'm a little partial to the older stuff just based on familiarity). Looks like you guys did it up right and had a blast. Thanks for sharing...and don't let no filling station hold up cost you 2 good years.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds & looks like a blast. I met Mac Macanaly (one of his guitarist pictured) at Fame Records in Muscle Shoals --very talented. That Saturn Sky looks very nice. Glad you all had fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts