Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know you pay for what you get but I am trying not to brake the bank but get an all round setup for fishing off the yak with a half way decent rod n reel. My reel is a Shimano Tekota 300 I am trying to get something not to big for up north. I am coming from ohio for a 10 day trip to the Gulf so I am trying to get a setup that is big enough to use down there but not an over kill in ohio. So now I am looking for a rod to buy. I found this rod that I am asking about on Cabelas web sight. Trying to keep cost under 60 bucks and I know that dose not get allot of choices but with me paying to travel and all the other expenses trying to keep with in a budget. I was looking at the Shakespeare so dont know. Any help would be appreciated. Was hoping to a med to med heavy action up to at least 50 pd test line and a wide range of lure weight. I was seeing and liking 1 to 6 oz lure weight. I would think that would be good for the gulf and good for muskie fishing in ohio. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I have two beef sticks, got em at BPS for $20 they have held up to a couple big hook ups, just havent been lucky enough to land what ever smoked the reels, lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i know this will blow your budget issue but with casting reels i would highly advise building or having a rod built thats acid wrapped (guides rotate around to the bottom side of the rod) this really helps with fatigue while fishing, the rod doesnt try to squirm around under load when wrapped like this.

if you really want to try and keep the budget down it wouldnt be impossible to buy a rod of your choice and re-wrap the guides.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i bought a cheap combo at bass pro 5 or 6 years ago threw the reel away but i still use the rod in the kayak.... it has a pretty soft bend which is good for kings. nothing wrong with a cheap rod and if i ever lose it i will not lose a ton of sleep. just rinse it with fresh water when our done the keep the eyes from rusting ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bought the Shakespeare Tiger 7ft med action 20 - 50 pound line and 3/4 - 6 oz lure weight. Got it off Cabel's for 59.99

1 - 7 of 7 Posts