Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a bigger house. up here in C-view. Only flat piece of land I found has to have a house built by them on it.

Just have seen the national reviews which were not so hot. Anybody local have any dealings with them?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
D.R. used to build some pretty exclusive homes here in the DFW area. They have now 5 subdivisions going up not far from me and they are cracker boxes, and there selling like hot cakes around here. All front entry, narrow streets, no allys, short driveways, no sidewalks...they still have the big ones though, but Fletcher's sells more hot dogs than Del Frisco sells steaks.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
I’m building a subdivision for them now. Phase 2 & 3. I’m about to send you a pm.

Reactions: kanaka

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna have to screenshot some pics of places we've seem for sale. E brakes and mops are mandatory accessories in some of these neighborhoods I believe.
Started looking for places just a little too late, missed a place by 12 hrs, went back to a rental.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I've been living in a horton home for bout 8 years now. I've got no complaints. But unless you are using a custom builder that only does a handful a year, all production homes are piles of crap. Its a race to build as many as possible as fast as they can. But I like my horton pile of crap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I may be wrong but isn’t their some pics on the pff forum of the guy currently building their subdivisons showing his prowess with large earth moving equipment and mudholes?🧐😁🤣

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts

Like these?

Reactions: DLo

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If it wasn’t you, who was the guy that caught one on fire and another got stuck in sinkhole? Damm I’m getting old

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,133 Posts
I built a new Cynthia in 2013 at just over 2300 sqf.

- Would I own another? Yes

BLUF: You get a lot of home for the money

Went in pre-approved for over $275K before starting our search. (keep in mind I had been overseas for nearly 13 years so I was totally out of touch with buying). At the time, we were looking in the $180 - 250K range and some of the used market garbage almost left me in tears till finally the realtor said lets look at new construction. Realtor took us by a similar home that had just been dried in and we liked it enough to look at the model home. I thought no way could we afford one, till they showed me the numbers and my jaw dropped. We signed on the spot and gave a deposit.

At the time, they were throwing all kinds of spiffs at us - Finance with them and get $15K off and they actually beat my pre approved rate, oh you're a Vet here's another $7K for serving, and ended up with getting nearly $30K off all together, which we turned around and gave some back to them in upgrades.

They did make it feel as if it were a semi-custom build as we got to pick the granite, tile, light fixtures etc.

Downside - they're tightwads ( and thats coming from me)
The project managers are overworked and its hard for them to keep up with the scheduling of all the builds (sheetrock guys, concrete etc.), pulling permits, getting inspectors out and on & on. One of the inspectors was out the day we drove by and he flat out told my wife & I that he absolutely hated DR Horton.
--- Our house ended up being two months behind schedule and I tried my damnedest but was lucky enough to get blinds thrown in. The regional manager said they just didn't have the room to toss in extras and that every penny was watched closely. I'm not totally positive, but want to say that he said that for a $200K home, they made $10-15K off it.

Otherwise, quality wasn't bad and there will always be little rat turds & imperfections as they're thrown up so quickly. Some may never notice, but you will over time. I'd buy another one ready to move in with the cheapest shit available... all carpet and whatever standard stuff they have, then rip it out and do my own tile, wood flooring, granite etc.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I built a new Cynthia in 2013 at just over 2300 sqf.

- Would I own another? Yes

BLUF: You get a lot of home for the money

Went in pre-approved for over $275K before starting our search. (keep in mind I had been overseas for nearly 13 years so I was totally out of touch with buying). At the time, we were looking in the $180 - 250K range and some of the used market garbage almost left me in tears till finally the realtor said lets look at new construction. Realtor took us by a similar home that had just been dried in and we liked it enough to look at the model home. I thought no way could we afford one, till they showed me the numbers and my jaw dropped. We signed on the spot and gave a deposit.

At the time, they were throwing all kinds of spiffs at us - Finance with them and get $15K off and they actually beat my pre approved rate, oh you're a Vet here's another $7K for serving, and ended up with getting nearly $30K off all together, which we turned around and gave some back to them in upgrades.

They did make it feel as if it were a semi-custom build as we got to pick the granite, tile, light fixtures etc.

Downside - they're tightwads ( and thats coming from me)
The project managers are overworked and its hard for them to keep up with the scheduling of all the builds (sheetrock guys, concrete etc.), pulling permits, getting inspectors out and on & on. One of the inspectors was out the day we drove by and he flat out told my wife & I that he absolutely hated DR Horton.
--- Our house ended up being two months behind schedule and I tried my damnedest but was lucky enough to get blinds thrown in. The regional manager said they just didn't have the room to toss in extras and that every penny was watched closely. I'm not totally positive, but want to say that he said that for a $200K home, they made $10-15K off it.

Otherwise, quality wasn't bad and there will always be little rat turds & imperfections as they're thrown up so quickly. Some may never notice, but you will over time. I'd buy another one ready to move in with the cheapest shit available... all carpet and whatever standard stuff they have, then rip it out and do my own tile, wood flooring, granite etc.
Where was this at?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Bearded Brotula
11,719 Posts
DR Horton uses local builders. Craftsmanship will change from neighborhood to neighborhood. Look at the homes under construction and the ones completed. Do they meet your standards? Some are good, some are shit. Over this way, the $500k+ DR Horton homes suck ass, while the $190-300k are much better.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
In the long run ,who ever you choose to build, new construction is worth it. A good friend of mine YEARS ago took a LARGE old house in Orlando to restore. He would have been cheaper to destroy it and start over with the same look. If you really want to compare quality ;look at the constructions of homes in GA. compared to Florida. You will never complain about Fl. ever.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
In the long run ,who ever you choose to build, new construction is worth it. A good friend of mine YEARS ago took a LARGE old house in Orlando to restore. He would have been cheaper to destroy it and start over with the same look. If you really want to compare quality ;look at the constructions of homes in GA. compared to Florida. You will never complain about Fl. ever.
Georgia homes are total $hit!!!! I use to do a lot of inspections in and around Atlanta. The one thing I could never get over is the gap of the roof decking to the the fasica board. Sometimes it could be up to 12in under the shingles

1 - 20 of 30 Posts