Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cultipacker is an essential food plot tool in my opinion, even if you subscribe to the throw n mow theory and do not do any form of mechanical tillage. It puts the seed in contact with ground. There’s a hundred ways to do it, but a cultipacker just works, and it’s simple.

I started using one of these about 3 years ago.

In the right conditions it is amazing. Good in most conditions. Horrible in a few situations, such as wet clay soils or bunching soils (like buckshot mud soils). My travel speed is much slower but because I’m doing everything in one pass I’m between 2 and 4 times faster than a traditional 2-3 passes with disc, then spread, then cover. I plant at about an acre an hour with it in untouched ground from the prior season. Double that if the ground has been broken a day or week before planting. Since I’m usually a one man operation (hunting camp help always sucks) it counts as a good purchase. If I had asses to put in tractor seats at will it wouldn’t make sense to spend the money on it though.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I’d like to make a cultipacker. I’ve been looking for the right parts to build one. I love to have one of those like you have cynical but they are pretty proud of them!!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cultipacker is an essential food plot tool in my opinion, even if you subscribe to the throw n mow theory and do not do any form of mechanical tillage. It puts the seed in contact with ground. There’s a hundred ways to do it, but a cultipacker just works, and it’s simple.

I started using one of these about 3 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGhFrP3ckIE

In the right conditions it is amazing. Good in most conditions. Horrible in a few situations, such as wet clay soils or bunching soils (like buckshot mud soils). My travel speed is much slower but because I’m doing everything in one pass I’m between 2 and 4 times faster than a traditional 2-3 passes with disc, then spread, then cover. I plant at about an acre an hour with it in untouched ground from the prior season. Double that if the ground has been broken a day or week before planting. Since I’m usually a one man operation (hunting camp help always sucks) it counts as a good purchase. If I had asses to put in tractor seats at will it wouldn’t make sense to spend the money on it though.
Those are amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Dang that looks sporty.... prob a 10k price tag?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I bought an old one off craigslist and turned it into an 8' and a 5'. Made the ATV one so you could flip it but it shredded the tires, so I took them off.

You can get decent results dragging chainlink over seed thrown onto disked soil, but we saw germination rates really increase once we started cultipacking. Especially with clover.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts