Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone hunt crows on here. i have had an eletronic caller forever and and yesterday finally decided to try it out. let me tell you, it is a blast. at one time there were 60 some odd crows circling us and just needed to drop a little more for us to shoot at them but they never did and turned the machine off. after they left we turned it back on and had one come back just as planned and hewill never raid a corn field again. we ended up killing 7 or 8 and killed one every set but one. wild ***** gave me some pretty good pointers and was wandering if there were anymore that had some tips. this is something that i will be doing again. we did not have decoys though and will next time.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sounds like fun. I never thought of hunting crows, and certainly didnt know they made calls and decoys for it. Yet another species to help pass the time till october.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I hunted crows for years and had a blast. The main advice I can give is <UL><LI>use the best camo you can afford, </LI><LI>hide your car,</LI><LI>set up in pine thickets, </LI><LI>Be very quiet getting out of the car, and getting into the calling spot, </LI><LI>try to kill the 1st crow that comes it (it's better if you just injure, but not kill him)</LI><LI>Try to find a roost area and set up 30 minutes before roosting time</LI><LI>Take a kid (if he can be quiet and stand still)</LI><LI>I never spent much time using decoys because we didn't seem to need them. I did occassionally use an owl decoy and that seemed to hold them in for a little longer.</LI>[/list]

I have hunted deer, quail, doves, squirrels, rabbits, and Crow hunting was my favorite. When we hunted (25 years ago), you could stop almost anyplace and call, and no one cared. Toward the end of my hunting, it got tougher because all the deer hunting land was posted, and folks didn't want you on their deer hunting land.

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
i was lucky enough to spend quality time withmy grandfather when i was a child and he needed to thin out the crows that were destroying his corn crop. he said he would gladly feed them all if they wouldn't peck and screw up every ear of corn they could.this was in the early 60's and he could call them by mouth.he set up a blind in the field and had me walk with him to the blind. then we went inside and i would walk back to the house and watch from the porch.he said they couldn't count and when they would see me leave , they thought the coast was clear.he would intentionally wound one , it would scream , then all would come " in force making lots of noise " and the pickings were good.he never killed anything without reason or for sport.I credit him for giving me the only moral and non violet upbringing i was ever exposed to.

I sure miss him. still have his 1948 GMC in the garage.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
HisName (2/28/2010)i was lucky enough to spend quality time withmy grandfather when i was a child and he needed to thin out the crows that were destroying his corn crop. he said he would gladly feed them all if they wouldn't peck and screw up every ear of corn they could.this was in the early 60's and he could call them by mouth.he set up a blind in the field and had me walk with him to the blind. then we went inside and i would walk back to the house and watch from the porch.he said they couldn't count and when they would see me leave , they thought the coast was clear.he would intentionally wound one , it would scream , then all would come " in force making lots of noise " and the pickings were good.he never killed anything without reason or for sport.I credit him for giving me the only moral and non violet upbringing i was ever exposed to.

I sure miss him. still have his 1948 GMC in the garage.
Good post.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I live in Walnut Hill where we are overrun with crows. I have a Foxpro electronic call and can call up a couple hundred crows at a time . This is what I do during the middle of the day during hunting season. There is a season on crows so check before you go shoot them. Season went out on 2/18/10 and won't come back in until august. If you buy decoys, be sure to get flocked birds. They are realistic and seem to work especially with a Owl Decoy.Be careful if you have never shot crows because it is addictive. Waiting on August

·
Registered
478 Posts
jpwalnuthill (2/28/2010)I live in Walnut Hill where we are overrun with crows. I have a Foxpro electronic call and can call up a couple hundred crows at a time . This is what I do during the middle of the day during hunting season. There is a season on crows so check before you go shoot them. Season went out on 2/18/10 and won't come back in until august. If you buy decoys, be sure to get flocked birds. They are realistic and seem to work especially with a Owl Decoy.Be careful if you have never shot crows because it is addictive. Waiting on August
there is no closed season on crows in Alabama.

·
Super Moderator
20,437 Posts
Dang sounds like a blast. If yall ever get over towards Andalusia give me a shout, we have some nice fields and a ton of crows and Im always looking for a reason to shoot something.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Splittine (2/28/2010)Dang sounds like a blast. If yall ever get over towards Andalusia give me a shout, we have some nice fields and a ton of crows and Im always looking for a reason to shoot something.
sounds like a plan.:letsdrink thats what we were hunting near, peanut and standin corn fields. needless to say it was ugly at one point.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I actually did have a fox come in while I was calling crows. It was a surprise, but I shot my only fox that day.Another day what I think was a bobcat came it, but it took off so fast I never got my gun up to shoot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We used to hunt crows quite a bit back in GA. It is lots of fun. We had a friend with a pecan orchard. The crows would get the pecans, fly up in the air and drop them on the road to crack them. We used an electronic caller back then, but they respond well to a manual call too, but the electronic is much easier. As said earlier, try and kill the first one that comes in by itself. If you shoot at him and miss you probably won't have any others come to you once he takes off. One other tip, we always tried to hunt in short planted pines. The crows will usually come in just above the tops of the trees in the area. The shorter the trees the closer the birds. Decoys work, but we would usually try and toss one we shot up into a tree and the birds would go right to it.......sometimes. Makes me miss bust'n those ol birds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts