Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWC has a pole going on allowing the use of crossbows during archery season.. I voted for it. Have no problemif someone wants to use them and in my opinion I think they are a great weapon if used in its limitations. If interested go and vote....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I voted yes as well,, I have a artificial shoulder, I cannot pull a recurve or compound bow,, I do have a disabled permit, i dont think one should need a special permit to hunt with bow and arrow.. be it a compound, long, or cross,,,, each individual should know ones limits and hunt accordingly,,, a true sportsman will not hunt outside his ability...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I know I'm going to catch some heat from this but I voted no. You can already use it all you want in rifle season

I feel that if you're physically able to, that a person should have to use a long bow or compound bow. I know it sounds silly to some of you but IMO using a compound bow is cheating.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Geronimo (2/12/2010)I know I'm going to catch some heat from this but I voted no. You can already use it all you want in rifle season

I feel that if you're physically able to, that a person should have to use a long bow or compound bow. I know it sounds silly to some of you but IMO using a compound bow is cheating.
No heat. I kind of agree but I then again when we had the hog hunting property in south florida about 75% of the hogs shot by traditional bow hunterswere not found. Even the #1 guy in the state back then lost 1 out of 2 pigs on his weekend. It may be cheating but it's better than what we have going on now with people going out and buying bows the week before season and wounding animals.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Geronimo (2/12/2010)I know I'm going to catch some heat from this but I voted no. You can already use it all you want in rifle season

I agree with you. If you are able to draw a bow, then use a bow. If not, then go thru the proper channel's and get a permit.You are alreadyable to use one during gun season,plus having a seperate crossbow season. I think bow season should be just that, bow season. JMO

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I don't think it really matters. More people will hunt during bow season if they are allowed, but it isn't any easier.

I've got several crossbows and I can tell you that I wouldmuch rather hunt with my Mathew's compound over one of my Barnett crossbows. It is lighter, easier to carry, more accurate (for me anyway) and you can get off a second shot (crossbow is too complicated to cock for a second shot).

A cross bow that shoots a 22 inch bolt is big and cumbersome, there is no way around it. The one and only advantage while in the field is that you don't have to draw on the animal. While this is a big advantage, I found that the cross bow is so big and hard to move around that this advantage can be lossed. If a deer comes out and your pointed in the wrong direction you can forget moving around. For me, the compound bow is a better choice.

My dad actually hurt his back cocking his crossbow during crossbow season this year, and he has no problems shooting his compound. He said to hell with the crossbow.

·
Super Moderator
19,842 Posts
imkilroy (2/13/2010)

I agree with you. If you are able to draw a bow, then use a bow. If not, then go thru the proper channel's and get a permit.You are alreadyable to use one during gun season,plus having a seperate crossbow season. I think bow season should be just that, bow season. JMO

+2

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I voted yes to the crossbows. I think it would be cool to be able to hunt with one during bow season. I always wanted to try one, but can't justify buying one to hunt with it for 2 days. I know you can use it during general gun but still. Who knows, might not like it, might go right back to the bow. It's interesting they are considering it though.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Even though I recently sold my crossbow and now will only huntArchery season with my compound bow I still voted yes for the crossbow use.

Having shot both of them I don't seethe advantage of the crossbow over a compound bow and since they both can shoot arrows at an average speed of 300+ FPS why not allow crossbows that shoot arrows to be used during Archery season? A crossbow still has the same limitations on distance of the shot just like a compound bow so let crossbows be used. It was because Alabama allowed crossbow use that I bought a crossbow and looked into hunting the Archery season. Now I have a compound bow and love it but without buying the crossbow first I might never have made the leap straight to a compound bow. Florida is over run with does,crossbow use might justhelp thin themout a bit since it's doesn't looklike they are going to extend the time you can take does during rifle season. It just makes sense to allow crossbowuseduring Archery season.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
69Viking (2/16/2010)Even though I recently sold my crossbow and now will only huntArchery season with my compound bow I still voted yes for the crossbow use.

Having shot both of them I don't seethe advantage of the crossbow over a compound bow and since they both can shoot arrows at an average speed of 300+ FPS why not allow crossbows that shoot arrows to be used during Archery season? A crossbow still has the same limitations on distance of the shot just like a compound bow so let crossbows be used. It was because Alabama allowed crossbow use that I bought a crossbow and looked into hunting the Archery season. Now I have a compound bow and love it but without buying the crossbow first I might never have made the leap straight to a compound bow. Florida is over run with does,crossbow use might justhelp thin themout a bit since it's doesn't looklike they are going to extend the time you can take does during rifle season. It just makes sense to allow crossbowuseduring Archery season.

I have never shot a crossbow but a friend of mine is going to let me barrow his so I can try it out. A lot a people I have talked to that have hunted with a crossbow didn't like it. What did you not like about it?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Matt Mcleod (2/16/2010)
69Viking (2/16/2010)Even though I recently sold my crossbow and now will only huntArchery season with my compound bow I still voted yes for the crossbow use.

I have never shot a crossbow but a friend of mine is going to let me barrow his so I can try it out. A lot a people I have talked to that have hunted with a crossbow didn't like it. What did you not like about it?
I never hunted with it but I did climb up in the tree just to see what it would be like. The two biggest things I found that could be a pain are when you turn to shoot around the tree you're in, a crossbow sits horizontal so you have to be careful not to hit the tree with it and lean out further to get a clear shot behind you. Then there isshooting and cocking it for a second shot. The shot is easy enough but trying to cock a crossbow quietly while up a tree for a second shot can be difficult as compared to stringing another arrow in a compound bow.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't get rid of the crossbow because I didn't like it. I sold it because I needed the cash and had aquired a Hoyt Compound Bow in a trade so there was really no reason to have two archery weapons especially when I wasn't allowed to hunt with it in Florida. Maybe if they change the law I'll consider getting one again, you just never know.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I would vote no, and here is why:

Shooting a deer with a compound bow vs pulling the trigger on a crossbow is not the same.

With a crossbow there is no need to stand up, no physical drawing of the bow , minimal body movement, etc..

However, if a person has a disability then by all means give them the crossbow exemption.

Why doesn't FWC open a doe season at the end of gun season to allow hunters to use crossbows in order to bring the doe / buck ratio more in line ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Emerald Ghost (2/17/2010)I would vote no, and here is why:
Shooting a deer with a compound bow vs pulling the trigger on a crossbow is not the same.
With a crossbow there is no need to stand up, no physical drawing of the bow , minimal body movement, etc..
However, if a person has a disability then by all means give them the crossbow exemption.
Why doesn't FWC open a doe season at the end of gun season to allow hunters to use crossbows in order to bring the doe / buck ratio more in line ?
I'll go a step further. Why not allow them in the primitive weapons(MZ) hunt at the beginning and end of the hunting seasons ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
hyco (2/17/2010)why are you guys so opposed to my 14 year old daughter shooting her crossbow?.....tony
I'm not. I honestly hadn't thought about children. Maybe if it was amended to only pertain to licensed hunters.

If I was actually against children using crossbows, my argument would be that she could use it all rifle season.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I voted yes. I don't see the controversy. I think it is options, you don't have to use but you can if you want to.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
hyco (2/17/2010)why are you guys so opposed to my 14 year old daughter shooting her crossbow?.....tony
Because they can't figure out that whether you pull a trigger on a crossbow or pull the release on a compound bow they both shoot an arrow at relatively the same speed. So it's a different way of shooting the arrow, so what it's still an arrow and for most hunters you will still need to be within 40 yards of the animal to score a kill shot! Some people will just oppose it to oppose it and nothing anyone says will change their minds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts