Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a couple of croakers, a nice black drum, some whiting, and more hardheads than I could count in some very dirty water today. My question has to do with croaker or what I think are croaker. I mostly catch a hump backed fish shaped somewhat like a black drum but smaller. Sometimes, I catch a more slender fish more shaped like a whiting. This fish seems browner and not as shiny. They both croak. Are they the same fish?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
There is a fish that looks just like a whiting but darker. A lot of people call them ground mullet. Whiting have whiskers these don't.

ground mullet.jpg

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There is a fish that looks just like a whiting but darker. A lot of people call them ground mullet. Whiting have whiskers these don't.

View attachment 922946
What we call a whining is a gulf kingfish. What we call a ground mullet is a southern kingfish...and just to confuse matters, we also get northern kingfish in the mix.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Chris V came through with the right answer for me. I have been catching spots and croakers. The silver croaker is a interesting looking fish, but I have not caught one of those yet. Thanks all. Still trying to learn!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts