Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am semi-looking for a jon boat. probably 14 ft. my p/u has an 8'bed. so, figure about 6-7' of overhang tied off to the truck. i am trying to do this as economically as possible, so i dont really want to buy a trailor. but i do want a newer motor and boat. so, is it too much to haul this long of a boat in my truck? i already have a system in mind to load/unload the boat that wouldnt cost too much. later down the road i can buy a trailor, but right now im dying to get in the water to do some giggin. any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
With an 8' bed and a 14' boat you got another 1.5- 2' under it from your tailgate right? So thats only about 4' of over hang. I dont think that is bad. As long as it is all secured pretty well I would think it would be fine. You gonna feel like loading it up after a long night of slaying fish? Good luck. I think it would work fine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think the motor is something to consider in your transportation methods. The way I have it envisioned going down the road I see the weight of your motor bouncin around pretty darn good with it hangin off the back of your truck that far. I would recommend using some 14' 2x8's or similar lumber to try and support the weight of that back end and reduce some of the bounce. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I used to haul around a 14' jon boat in the back of my truck on a daily back in high school when we'd go set bush hooks, hunt from the river, etc. It's a piece of cake. Just get you a little tiller hand motor and set it in the boat up front while in transit and that will help secure the boat to the bed in addition to tie downs. When you get your spot - unload the motor, boat, gas tank - hook em all together and take off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hossing the motor on/off the boat is a consideration, but prolly not ideal. i like the idea of the truck bed extender and the 2x8's.harbour freight has a set of metal end caps that fit on the boards to make a ramp. i will need one for my 4wheeler anyway. first off, i dont have a jon boat yet. but when i get one, i was thinking of hooking up a manual winch at front of bed to pull boat up out of water on pair of 2x8's anyway. of course to do that i would need to find a way of keeping front of boat from going up due to weight of motor. figuring on 15-25hp 4stroke. extremely temporary if i do it at all. i am a redneck, but i dont like doing rednek stuff, well too much enyway:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
How many people are fishing with you? It can be a biotch to load that "lightweight" boat by yourself. :banghead

I allways put the boat in the truck with the bow hanging out the back and set the motor inside the boat. This will keep most of the weight of the boat in the truck and when you launch just backdown the ramp and slide her into the water. The tailgate extenders are very nice. DONT forget to rachet strap the boat to the truck!!!! Also attach a red flag to the front handle on the boat!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
bamasam (10/10/2007)

I allways put the boat in the truck with the bow hanging out the back and set the motor inside the boat. This will keep most of the weight of the boat in the truck and when you launch just backdown the ramp and slide her into the water. The tailgate extenders are very nice. DONT forget to rachet strap the boat to the truck!!!! Also attach a red flag to the front handle on the boat!
I like this idea best. I think I'd figure out a way (maybe those sliding hinges that come apart) to hinge your boards on the tailgate. That way as the load shifts they would hing down and make dragging the boat via the winch into the bed easier. It might be easier to mount the winch in the bed or on a post in the corner for removal,and use a pulley centered in the front of the bed just below the rear window.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
freespool50 (10/10/2007)just talked to mike at academy. they have trailers for 500bucks. seems like a no brainer. now i just need another 500bucks:banghead. oh, and a boat and motor.
I was going to ask how much for a trailer. By the time you rig up something to put the boat in the back of hte truck, and then have to deal with the motor, fuel tank, and batteries (all of which are heavy), I would think a trailer would be the better route. Unless of course you are going places where you can't take a trailer.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you wind up hauling it in the bed of your truck make sure you rig up lights on the transom. An easy way is get a piece angle aluminum, and a set of trailer lights. A couple of C clamps to clamp on the transom.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have tried the boat in the bed thing and trust me it is a lot easier to find a used trailer and do it that way. Otherwise, you will not be able to fish by yourself. Not to mention the fact "PEOPLE EVERYWHERE CAN NOT DRIVE" I would hate to see your boat on the side of the road because some Yahoo cut you off. Your idea would work if you have the perfect launch space and you don't mind leaving the boat in your truck, otherwise, it is a GIANT pain in the ars!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Yep, the loading and unloading in the back of the truck will get old fast. Removing the motor and laying it in the front of the boat needs to be done, but it's the fastest way to scratch a motor all to hell.

Remember when using this to go Floundering all this mess will be happening in the dark.

The less you have to do in the dark the better.

Be very careful with tightening the motor on the transom and check it often.

Don't do what my dumb brother did. The motor was used, but in good shape and he got a hell'va deal on it. he was just gonn'a go test it. Ya, right. The motor cranked and ideled real good so he decided to bring the RPM up some. No sooner was it on plane and Elvis had left the transom.

Never did find it.:banghead

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a 10ft plastic pelican bass boat , from Academy, with a 35lb thrust trollin motor. Its not too bad to load and unload. Its good for rivers and bays and bayous. I think I have $500 in it.(boat, motor, battery)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I HAVE A 2001 16 FT. WELD-CRAFT JON BOAT WITH A 2004 25 YAMAHA.IT ALSO HAS A SOFT-RIDE TRAILER. I MIGHT BE INTERESTING IN SELLING. THE BOAT IS ALL WELDED AND HAS BEEN USED FOR DUCK HUNTING. DUCK HUNTING IN AL HAS DRASTICALLY DECLINED ANDNOW DO MOST OF MY WATERFOWLING OUT OF STATE. I REALLY DON'T USE IT ANYMORE.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
you can do that with no problem. I used to haul my 14' Lowe jon boat with 15 horse johnson in my short bed Ford 150 duckhunting all the time with out a hitch. I put the little motor in the last well up against the cab of the truck and off we went. Piece of cake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts