Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Browning .300 mag and the stock is cracked, one crack is where the bolt m comes down and meets the stock and is about 2 inches long and there is a second crack on the other side of the stock where your thumb would be. I do not want to replace the stock just repair it if possible. The gun has been passed down and if it can't be repaired I will just keep it in the safe. Any recommendations for a good gunsmith that may be able to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
19,887 Posts
Find a wood guy to fix it not a smith. Be better off getting it repaired and buying a Boyds stock to use and keep the wood one put up if it's that damaged.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Sounds like a thorough cleaning around the cracked area, acetone and/or denatured alcohol. Then air dry, use compressed dry air blast. I would use West System clear epoxy thinned about 25% with acetone. If you can twist or open the cracked area without more damage, open it up so the epoxy can penetrate. I use wax paper on the exposed surfaces until it dries. Clamps may be needed. Let dry overnight in a warm area.

Next day, clean with acetone, lightly sand w 400 grit, then oil or varnish.

I have done this on some of my 200 year old smoke poles. You can't find the cracks.

Hope this helps. PM or call me then come over if you don't have the materials.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
This may sound crazy, but look for a quality band instrument repairman. Occasionally wood clarinets will Crack and these guys are very skillfull in repairing very small and fragile wood instruments with lots of intricate moving parts. A gun stock would by gravy for these guys.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am terrible, always take the wood off and replace with a composite for field duty. So get the stock repaired and save it, while that is being repaired get a composite or another stock for it.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Have you contacted Browning about this matter?:thumbsup:

I have a Browning .300 mag and the stock is cracked, one crack is where the bolt m comes down and meets the stock and is about 2 inches long and there is a second crack on the other side of the stock where your thumb would be. I do not want to replace the stock just repair it if possible. The gun has been passed down and if it can't be repaired I will just keep it in the safe. Any recommendations for a good gunsmith that may be able to fix this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts