1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Wow, nice haul. Look like some biguns

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I caught some monster blue crabs in the cast net the other day throwing at mullet. Had to release every one of them. All females with sponge.

Reactions: Corpsman

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We’ve been seeing them in good numbers and sizes. I waited for the lower end of the tide, and netted them during daylight. I may get my older boys to go this weekend and try for an actual limit. It’s been years since we’ve hauled a limit!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
10 gallons

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were 29 crabs in that picture, and that wasn’t even 5 gallons. I had two friends go all night the other night and they got 128. That wasn’t quite a 2 man limit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What is your technique, just walk around and scoop them up?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I do not keep females either, keep the population going. Crabs were everywhere when I was a kid now I don't see that many at all. Too many folks keeping females and not knowing the difference.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Nice haul. :thumbsup:

If they don't have eggs, I assume they are identifying as male and they go in the bucket. On a typical night out flounder gigging I see them by the hundreds around any type of structure or in the grass beds. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Nice haul.

If they don't have eggs, I assume they are identifying as male and they go in the bucket. On a typical night out flounder gigging I see them by the hundreds around any type of structure or in the grass beds. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.
Nah if they dont have eggs, look at the claws. Nail polish is female

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,974 Posts
I do not keep females either, keep the population going. Crabs were everywhere when I was a kid now I don't see that many at all. Too many folks keeping females and not knowing the difference.
Florida Regulations Gulf and Atlantic State Waters
Blue crabs
Size Limit: None

Daily Bag Limit: 10 gallons whole per harvester per day

Harvest of egg-bearing crabs prohibited

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
used to get them from the "crab lady" in milton 20 years ago. They used to have their own boat and would have baby squid if you called them at the right time. Prices were good too. They were older so I don't think they are still doing it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts