Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you need to check the traps? Bait? How deep? Anyone got a few to sell?

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
When I ran traps, we checked in every 24 hours. And was prepared to add bait
In 6 to 10 feet.

A lot of commercial crabbers like to put their traps right outside of the channel.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We catch more big male crabs in and around brackish creeks. Edges of oyster bars and around rocks or rubble are good too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Make sure when you buy traps that the crimps are ss. Otherwise you will be replacing the crimps before you know it. Big box stores= carbon steel crimps. I get mine from Brunson Net in Foley. He's been in business since dirt was discovered (second generation). Get the 2'x2'x2' trap.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just about every crabber I've ever known likes pogies (gulf menhaden) for bait. You can use any kind of fish from hardheads to ladyfish but oily and bloody is best.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Seems like I read on here recently that traps now have to have a section of steel mesh so if they get lost, the plain steel section will rust out and not trap fish.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That or a section of jute twine, 3 escape rings, gotta have your info attached to the trap and a 6 inch buoy with an R on it. They also want your Social Security #, a major credit card and a $10,000 cash deposit.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just about right! I have applied for and received my permit from the FWC for 5 traps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts