Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lejet asked about crabbing a couple days ago. I responded that we had just put out traps and was going to check them Thursday. He was interested in what we might catch. Here are pix from running the traps yesterday afternoon.

I will let the pictures do the talking....

First trap

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
you can keep females as long as they dont have eggs...

those crabs look mighty tasty! i wish i woulda crabbed more this year. crab is one of my top favorites! thanks for posting

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pull back shell off break body in in half eat exposed meat,on the claws hit them with something hard butter knife works good for all the above.

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!MMMMMMMM! GOOD

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some answers to the questions asked...and a little more info.

We kept 70 crabs on that rip. Tomorrow we will run those traps again. We only keep the largest crabs. We keep very few females and none if she has eggs. We throw back a lot of big crabs...especially if they are "whiteys". You can tell by weight and if they have a perfectly clean shell that there is no meat inside. He has just shed his shell and is light Commercial guys keep everything that is legal because they are selling them by the pound. We eat or give away all our crabs and are just really doing it for the fun of it. We can be very picky and still keep way more crabs than we can eat. I just got through eating all the crabs I can stand for the second time off that bunch. I gave some to our housekeeper and another bunch went to a party my friends were having this afternoon. 70 crabs that size is a LOT of crabs. When we run those traps tomorrow we will have that many or more...I moved some traps to the most productive location. If you live down here on the coast and do not take advantage of all we have...you are missing out. We went shrimping two weeks ago and took a guy who had never been shrimping before. Both him and his wife now say that they had never really known that shrimp can taste that good. I could go buy shrimp and crabs but what would be the fun in that...and there is really nothing like fresh seafood that you caught yourself...

Ronnie

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked that boat up out of a yard in New Orleans after Katrina. A lady gave it to me to get it out of the way. It was a mess. I cut a 115 ? Suzuki off the back that was trashed and then went to work on it. Those rails in the back are there to help drag for shrimp. I added the top cause the sun kills ya after several hours shrimping. The bow rails are there for black fishing around the buoys. I have 5 different boats but that one gets more use than the rest. That boat would be great for floundering over in Florida. Most nights over here you have to run in too shallow of water for that big a boat. The water does not stay as clear over here. Too much muddy water coming down the rivers. I would flounder a lot more if I lived in Pensacola or east of there......

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Death From Above (10/3/2009)That looks like a kick ass flounder boat?
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.:doh Those rails might come in handy to lean against while fighting a big Triple tail but they would have to come off for the flounder. Either way its a hell of a setup. Wish I could come up on a deal like that.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice crabs, that sure brings back memories,when I was a teenager livingoutside of Galveston,Tx we would go down to the sea wall and catch crabs all night long man we had some fun, does were the good old days.:usaflag

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RM...

Those are Alabama crabs. I live on Magnolia River near Foley. Magnolia River empties into Weeks Bay on the Eastern shore of Mobile Bay. We have our traps out right now in Weeks Bay. We will be moving out to Mobile Bay with the crabs over the next week or so....The first message posted under this string was by Will. I think he was thinking we were over in Florida catching ya'lls crabs. Nope...these are true blue Alabama crabs. I just got through running the traps again. we culled down to 40 crabs this afternoon. They are all monster blue crabs. The pot is boiling right now and I will be eating crabs within the hour....Life is good...

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts