Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should have posted this in off topic....
Anyone know of a place to get my first aid and CPR that is Coast Guard certified? Although I am a paramedic, I still don't have a "first aid" card. I was told by seaschool in Panama City that there is probably a dive shop here in Pensacola that would do it. Getting my six pack so I can teach sailing lessons.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
AHA BLS (American Heart Association- Basic Life Support) is widely regarded as the gold standard for CPR provider certification. You are issued a card that is good for two years from the date of issue. If you want to go above and beyond as a private captain, you should seriously consider becoming PEARS certified, which is essentially a simplified version of PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support), or a CPR course for kids.

Irish Blessing, I'm sure you know most of this already as a paramedic, but it never hurts to have this info out there for the general public. Never know when somebody might code right next to you in Walmart!

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Yeh afaik all CPR courses even the ones taught by ECEMS are AHA certified and should be accepted by all companies (even the USCG). Its been a while since i took an AHA or ARC CPR since my company offers their own CPR course but when i took one through AHA it didnt teach any First aid, just CPR and AED training with a lil scene assessment.

Also im surprised you still hold a Paramedics license w/o a valid CPR card. As an EMT-B i have to hold mine or else my license will lapse.

Back on course i would verify that ARC or AHA (American Red Cross//American Heart Association) would suffice as said before theyre the Gold standard when it comes to CPR.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
There's a place on pine forest rd the does them every couple weeks. I think it's the fire training network or something or something like that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AHA BLS (American Heart Association- Basic Life Support) is widely regarded as the gold standard for CPR provider certification. You are issued a card that is good for two years from the date of issue. If you want to go above and beyond as a private captain, you should seriously consider becoming PEARS certified, which is essentially a simplified version of PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support), or a CPR course for kids.

Irish Blessing, I'm sure you know most of this already as a paramedic, but it never hurts to have this info out there for the general public. Never know when somebody might code right next to you in Walmart!
Prince you are right about the Walmart

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

CPR training should be a requirement to graduate High School. I never learned it until I became a first responder at work in my 30's. A week after I was certified, I kept someone alive that suffered an electrocution and he made it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Make sure it is American Red Cross certified. Coast guard only accepts certain courses so be sure to check with the national maritime center 1800iasknmc. I have been working offshore for a while now and you have to have a current CPR first aid that is recognized by them every time you upgrade. I have taken classes in the past that they don't accept and they told me to be safe always take an American Red Cross CPR first aid certified class.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I would expect more captains to have answered your question. When messing wirh the USCG veer on the safe side or your lic. Could be held up for months while you are going through the right hoops.

I took mine at sea school in Bayou La Batrie. American Red cross is the key. I had 3 coasties in the class because the USCG wouldn't recognize their own training.

Its all a money game.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CPR training should be a requirement to graduate High School. I never learned it until I became a first responder at work in my 30's. A week after I was certified, I kept someone alive that suffered an electrocution and he made it.
That is awesome! They should also teach in high school a little first aid and some basic medical knowledge about how the "health system" works and what really is an emergency.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after a few phone calls and a couple of hours on the internet I got my answer. I will have to take the first aid class and the CPR course. My CPR card is an advanced level CPR and will not work. I was trying to save $100 plus dollars but oh well. I don't mind a little knowledge. Thank yall for your help.

Tony

1 - 17 of 17 Posts