Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching a hunting show this morning all about coyotes and the deer population. They say in some areas coyotes took as many as 50% of the white tail fawns.

They recommend you target coyotes part of the year. This helps your deer population.

This article is not part of the show, just somthing I found on line.

http://www.365whitetail.com/predators-coyotes-and-whitetail-fawn-recruitment/

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
We had pictures of 110" bucks in Bay Minette all summer along with dozens of does. All of the sudden 2 weeks ago we stopped getting pictures. 2 days later a pack of coyotes show up and have shown up on camera for a few weeks straight. We are gonna go try to target them next week.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I will ruin a deer hunt to kill a coyote.
All day everyday!! :thumbsup:

I read a study, if I remember correctly it was done by Steve Ditchikoff, conducted in southern AL and it had like an 80% mortality rate of fawns by coyotes.

I do think it was an urban study but 80% is insane!

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried, with very limited success targeting them when not deer or turkey hunting. I have my cheapo electronic caller on a wire and a vibrating rabbit. I need to work harder, setting up early in the morning or late afternoons.

I'm hardly getting any fawns on camera this year and fewer deer.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I love to poof a yote. We set up on a field at the treeline, electronic caller about 40 yards in the field. Wind in our face, guy with a rifle on the field. BUT, put a guy with a shotgun about 10 yards into the woods. #5 turkey loads are fine. Most of the time the yote will circle around through the woods to get downwind. The shotgunner gets most of the shots. Have dusted them up to 80 yards away stone cold dead with #5 3 in mags, 12 gauge.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have shot at coyotes in a plot w/ does grazing and have missed and killed , but the does never ran , either before or after the shot....Point I'm trying to make is that it didn't "ruin" the hunt,although subjectively you could argue that I didn't see a buck afterwards, so maybe I did....Worth it though. We spend a fair amount paying a trapper to thin the 'yotes and other predators in the off season....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Best way to thin out the coyotes? ALWAYS use a doe scent drag. If you have coyotes, you'll pick a few off every season that will follow that drag right to the base of your tree. I agree it doesn't mess up a hunt. I've blown them in half and see deer not a few minutes later as long as they didn't go yelping like crazy like they do when you nail them with a bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts