Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pay about $80.00 a month for a "high speed" internet service alone .($136.00 per month without HBO). Which is usually slow or totally absent, like it is today. Being sunday, they are closed, so I switched to my iPhones hot spot which seems faster than the COX_____s. So my girl is alway on her tablet, and I need to keep my email address for business purposes.
The question is will we be able to survive without this pitiful service? Can i pay the suckers for my email address only? Can we both live off our own separate iphone hotspots?
thanks

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So tried resetting your router and modem? I've had Cox his 19years and nothing comes close in my opinion. Any lights on your router?

sent from my LG G2 VS980 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that seemed to have worked for now....They are advertising the fact that they just doubled our speeds. So why would i pay for a higher level of speed now? I should be able to half my internet costs, and get HBO with my savings...right? Still a duplication of my the iphone service???

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I've had issues with mediacom and uverse in the past. Both services did their install with refurbished modems. The tech that came out spotted it quickly (two different techs, two different companies). I bought a nice modem (Belkin) when I was using mediacom. It increased the speed even more (this was after they installed a new modem from their inventory).

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
How old is your modem and router, may be time for an update, I have AT&T DSL now and hate it with a purple passion, the best internet provider I ever had was Cox.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Unless your doing some high tech gaming you probably dont need the "high speed" internet. We have the cheap basic internet from cox. Costs bout 40 a month. We can stream movies and music all day long on the roku while using tablets and have no lag or hiccups at all. They tried telling us we would need high speed but I said no.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Just get a phablet ( Samsung Note or iPhone 6+) and use cellular signals. Funny, I have Cox in Destin and they were always better than Mediacom at home in Milton but seems just the opposite now-a-days. But like DLo said - check, reset your router or have Cox put in a newer one...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
With Cox you should have a Docis3 modem now. If urs is a 2 take it in and swap it out or if they are coming out get one and let the provision it.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I have basic Cox Cable. Also had router problems and Cox came out and fixed a connection on the outside of the house. We decided that high speed wasn't that much better so we went back to basic at about $60/mth.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
With Cox you should have a Docis3 modem now. If urs is a 2 take it in and swap it out or if they are coming out get one and let the provision it.

Yes. Much cheaper to buy DOCIS 3 modem on Amazon or elsewhere than from cox. Just call them with the new modem info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you are using their equipment, purchase your own modem and send their's back. My assumption is that you are renting the modem from them for probably $5 a month. You should be able to get a DOCSIS3 modem for about $70. Check their website and they should have a list of approved modems. If you are doing VOIP with them, you need to be sure the modem also supports the phone service. Here is the link to the COX approved modems. (I've use Motorola for years)

http://www.cox.com/residential/supp...icleId={b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000}

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you have Cox Phone service, the modem is free. Guess I'll be buying one though, cause I'm gonna cancell my phone since they raised prices again.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you want a land line, try Ooma. I've used it for about 3 years now and it works well. There is a up-front cost but I'd not heard good things about some of the cheaper options. The only thing you are billed monthly for on Ooma is the FCC or some kind of federal tax. Usually about $3.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Cox wants to keep your business. I call them every couple of years and complain about the price, threaten to go with sat or u-verse. They will offer you some kind of deal to stay with them. Usually not cheaper, but will give you more stuff. I got an extra HD box and a land line last time I negotiated. $10 bucks less each month and price guaranteed for 2 years.
The basic internet service is fast enough for the average home owner.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you think there is an issue with the speed there are a couple of things you can do. First, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what your actual speed is. I'd suggest doing it multiple times throughout the day and record the results. If the speed is a lot lower than what you expect, disconnect your pc from your router and plug directly into the modem. You need to be hard-wired into the modem, wireless will not work. Run the speed test again. If the results are much higher, you have a problem with your router. If you've called Cox and complained, they've probably already put you through this exercise. If you get good results without going through your router, you're wasting your time calling Cox unless you are also paying them to support your router. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I was with Cox Cable several years ago when I lived in Pensacola. I've had their email address for about 6 years before our move to Pace in 2012. I didn't have any problems with their internet speeds or cable.

Since moving to Pace, I have kept my email address with no issues from them...

Medicom over here is horrible... The worst... But I'm stuck with them for cable internet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in the "boonies" by cable standards. I have mediacom and they have been barely better than dsl in the past. Since I bought my motorola surfboard router & they finally sent a signal to reprogram it, my download speeds are in the neighborhood of 22-30 mbps. Not bad since it was only about 3 mbps. before............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts