Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Remove top vent and open bottom vent. Run temp up to 650-700. Have steaks seasoned and at room temp ready to go. Place steaks on grill. Close lid. Cook for one minute. Open and flip. Close and cook for another min. Close bottom vent and put kill cap on top and cook for two more minutes. Remove and let stand on warm plate for 10 minutes the eat. (for rare/med rare)

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a winner. Time to light it up. Will post pix of after the cook. Wife said to cook just one since they are so big. LOL
Whyme

·
Constitution Conservative
2,579 Posts
There is no Time, there is only Internal Temp.
A good instant read digital thermometer is my best friend at the smoker/grill and in the kitchen, I use a Lavatools 'Javelin" a good budget priced tool.
My Thermworks 'Smoke' dual probe thermometer is also indispensable, monitors both cooking and meat temps.

Pull the steak when it is 3'-5' below the target temp.

Rare - 120'-125'
Med Rare - 130'-135'
Medium - 140'-145'
Med Well - 150'-155'
Well -160'

Now cooking methods for steaks is a whole other topic.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,026 Posts
Watcha gonna do with the other steak? Coulda been breakfast.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Remove top vent and open bottom vent. Run temp up to 650-700. Have steaks seasoned and at room temp ready to go. Place steaks on grill. Close lid. Cook for one minute. Open and flip. Close and cook for another min. Close bottom vent and put kill cap on top and cook for two more minutes. Remove and let stand on warm plate for 10 minutes the eat. (for rare/med rare)
Perfect recipe there, just be careful opening the lid, especially after closing the vents. The influx of air will make it flare up. Burp, burp, burp again, or you'll lose your arm hair. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Perfect recipe there, just be careful opening the lid, especially after closing the vents. The influx of air will make it flare up. Burp, burp, burp again, or you'll lose your arm hair. Ask me how I know.
Hey eyebrows are optional when you grill on the BGE. I watched a fella get his BGE 900 deg then close the lid, then he went to put the steaks on and just popped the top. Looked like a major volcano eruption. I just got "hey don't...." out of my mouth. Well, he was bald mostly. He is all the way now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We reverse sear the big Cowboy cut rib eyes. Cook them low and slow until the desired temperature pull out to let rest. Crank up the grill as high as it'll go once it reaches max temperature place the steak over indirect heat shutting off a burner or two if required for 5 or so minutes till steak has a good sear. The steak comes out perfect every time.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will say the steaks were very delicious. As for the other steak it was vacuum sealed and waiting for this Saturday.
Whyme

·
Super Moderator
7,097 Posts
We reverse sear the big Cowboy cut rib eyes. Cook them low and slow until the desired temperature pull out to let rest. Crank up the grill as high as it'll go once it reaches max temperature place the steak over indirect heat shutting off a burner or two if required for 5 or so minutes till steak has a good sear. The steak comes out perfect every time.
Burner? What the hell is a burner?

I cook em the same way....over lump charcoal.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts