Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Possible only cause there was a lot of time between the owners video and report of it being stolen. Isnt there something about posting salvage property?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
I believe if he would have written his phone number on it with , salvage rights. And imeately call the Coast Guard and report it. The original owner when located if he wanted the boat back would be required to pay a salvage fee.
If the owner was looking for the boat he should of to be legal if possible. Put his phone number on it.
What the kid done was wrong. You notice I said I believe. The laws could have changed in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I believe if he would have written his phone number on it with , salvage rights. And imeately call the Coast Guard and report it. The original owner when located if he wanted the boat back would be required to pay a salvage fee.
If the owner was looking for the boat he should of to be legal if possible. Put his phone number on it.
What the kid done was wrong. You notice I said I believe. The laws could have changed in the last 30 years.
I just looked it up. No salvage laws in Florida. Vessel can only change ownership through title. Prevents people from sneaking to a dock, throwing off the lines and then claiming salvage rights when they "recover" the boat down current.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
What I stated was for an abandoned boat. Take the lines off the pier and you are a thief. By salvaging an abandoned boat the salvor is preventing further damage and polution.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
First off face and neck tattoos are a pretty good indication of bad decision making. Second, it would be hard to convince a court you were looking after the boat’s best interest by stealing a boat out of a pond 2 weeks after the hurricane.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just looked it up. No salvage laws in Florida. Vessel can only change ownership through title. Prevents people from sneaking to a dock, throwing off the lines and then claiming salvage rights when they "recover" the boat down current.
Your statement is technically correct but the next sentence on the FWC website is: "A person who finds an abandoned vessel and who wants to make claim to it must comply with Section 705.103, Florida Statutes." which states: "Title to lost or abandoned property is hereby vested in the finder upon the expiration of the 90-day custodial time period specified in s. 705.103(2)(b), provided the notice requirements of s. 705.103 have been met, unless the rightful owner or a lienholder claims the property within that time." So there is a way. I saw the procedure work about two years ago.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
I actually salvaged 2 boats A shrimp boat sunk in the land cut. Another one with a dead body in it at the theo bars bridge. Long time ago.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I’d like to hear the dead body story.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Boat sunk got a call. Patched hole pumped out the boat coroner removed body towed it to Runans shipyard. We heard drugs were involved and foul play also. Don't know or care none of my business.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I have that boat now fixing it they busted the control box off the boat added a spot light and when we met with the fwc officer they were using this boat to steal props and other things from boats in the ward basin area. There is video of them on multiple docks

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
We found a Hobie 16 foot catamaran sailing unmanned in Pensacola Bay some years ago…… I got on it and started sailing in the direction of Key sailing on Pensacola Beach ( I thought it was one of theirs)..... about 30 minutes into the trip, a mad owner in a powerboat took over for me and headed towards his own Pensacola Beach address…… I always wondered if he believed that I was bringing it back up wind to try to find the owner......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts