Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just informed that a big well known trophy club in south alabama that routinely kills huge bucks, is feeding their deer corn and cotton seed mixed, for their supplemental feed, they say cotton seed is very high in protein and the deer love them, have any of you guys tried this? any pros and cons would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
29,280 Posts
I know they like to browse on the fresh green growth of a cotton plant, but not sure bout seed??? I don't know bout the $$$ but I believe the seed is purty high $$$ so just call a co-op and ask em.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i have a friend that has acotton field over by blackwater. he lets me hunt it during archery season i have taken several does and very nice six point form the field. but he also grows sweet taters he kills bunches of nice deer off that field every year. he sells his reject taters for a very good price let me tell ya deer love em. i think he was selling them for 50 or 60 bucks for a truck bed full, probably close to 1000 pounds. i know you were asking about cotton seed but those taters are a very good supplement for deer to.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the guy that told me about them said that they are 125.00 per ton and have very high protein

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
We routinely feed a cotton seedmixto cattle for the protein. Not sure if it translates to deer but I can't imagin why it wouldn't.

449 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ken, 2 years ago the club next to us fed them nothing but cotten seeds, he said they loved them. Can you buy them year round in jay?

Mac

·
Registered
28 Posts
The quick answer to your question is yes deer love cotton seed and it is high in protein content, however there are some other answers to this question concerning how much of this protein is actually absorbed by the deer that eat it. I will tell you whatI have been told by several biologists, protein pellet manufacturers and deer breeders. Cotton seed is one of the 2 main protein components in deer pellets, the other being soybeans. Some pellets contain soybean protein, some cotton seed protein, some a combo of the 2. There are a few important aspects concerning cotton seed and protein, although high in protein and attractive to deer, by itself cotton seed protein has very low absorbtion/digestion rates in deer.The addition ofcotton seed protein to deer pelletsand the heating of the seed/meal during the production processgreatly increses the absorbtion/digestion rates in deer. I did not get to involved in the science of this,I just understood that as long as the seed/meal was heated most of the protein would be utilized by the deer and that was fine with me.I guess this is just my 2 cents, whatever you do i would ask qualified folks to help you in your decision. Just because deer seem to "love" certain feeds does not mean it is what is best for them. Deer love corn, but how much good does it do them in certain times of the year? Another aspect of this is there are some ingredients in deer feed that promote a healthy digestive system in deer that "feed"beans, coton seed, corn can't provide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts