Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have only owned 400's before so do not know what 580's look like on the water but i have talked to several people about them and some have said that they would rather have a pair of 400's than 580's. By looking at the difference in price it seems the 580's would be better.

What's some of you guys opinions?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
get a pair of guidelines!!! they are the same quality as costas at half the price and 10X better customer service....i have let people do a side by side with costa 580's and my guidelines and they like the guidelines better

·
Registered
533 Posts
if you are sight fishing, do not buy anything but a pair of 580's. I'll put any brand of glasses up against them. For general use, the 400's are very adequate and are great. I have a pair of 580's for cobia season, but rarely take them offshore as I do not want to get them scratched up. For the rest of the year I wear 400's and they are great glasses. Amber or Vermillion 580's are great for cobia. I am actually partial to non-mirrored for cobia fishing.

·
Super Moderator
20,444 Posts
fisheye48 (3/18/2010)get a pair of guidelines!!! they are the same quality as costas at half the price and 10X better customer service....i have let people do a side by side with costa 580's and my guidelines and they like the guidelines better
After wearing a pair of Guidelines Ill never send another $ to Costa. Plus Costa's warranty sucks compared to Guidelines.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've used costa del mar for many years now and they are great........BUT. Lately the prices have been going constantly up, and their customer service sucks. I will tell you later if their customer service has improved ;i have an issue with costa right now that i am hopeful their managers will resolve. i will keep you posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pair of both, but i notice after being o the water all day, the 580' is much better. They don't let as mush light through the lens, seems like

your eyes are aren't near as stressed from sun. Both are good, unless your sight fishing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally prefer the 580's over the other Costas, especially if you are sight fishing, which I do quite a bit of (cobia). But other folks do just fine without them. I need all the help I can get!!

WayneO

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
screw Costa Del Mar. Buy a pair of guidelines and you dont have to worry. I have owned 580s 400s and guidelines. The guidelines are equivelant to the 580s at half the price and their customer service is leaps and bounds over Costa Del Mar.Had a friend have some 580s and they started to delaminate. He sent them back and Costa stated it was due to being in the salwater enviroment too much. WTF, that is what they are made for. Ended up costing 120.00 to replace the lense. There ismany peoplethat havehad the same experience with Costa Del Mar customer service myself included.

Youcan get the guidelines at hot spot B&T. Great group of guysto do buisness with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got some 580's that I love, def. the best pair of glasses I've owned, never tried the guidlines though. Got the 580's for $160 at eyedoctor.com, an optometrist up in wisconsin that has an online biz and sells sunglasses direct from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have had both in the blue lens and both were good. But for off shore fishing the blue 580 are so much better, and clearer. They are a little heavier, but they are worth it to me. Never had to deal with customer service, so i cant comment there.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I went to their web site. Does anyone have the Bimini with the blue lenses? I might try a pair of those.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
LITECATCH (3/21/2010)I went to their web site. Does anyone have the Bimini with the blue lenses? I might try a pair of those.

are you talking about the guidelines scott?? if so outcast and hotspots sell the guidelines

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Sorry about that, yes the guidlines. I have Costa's now.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
LITECATCH (3/21/2010)Sorry about that, yes the guidlines. I have Costa's now.

yeah outcast and hotspots have them...i am still very impressed with my guidelines, so much i sold the 3 pair of costas i had...i have a pair of the bimini's but in a amber lens if you would like to try them them and see what you think about them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts