Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of these have shown up behind a neighbors fence recently. Most likely due to major clearing for a highway project. Looks like a copperhead to me.
A few moccasins have been displaced as well.
Twig Terrestrial plant Plant Grass Terrestrial animal
Twig Terrestrial plant Plant Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Super Moderator
29,464 Posts
Noper its a moc.....here is the diff from my personal pics

Snake Ecoregion Reptile Scaled reptile Organism

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the first picture the pattern appears to be alternating from side to side while the subsequent pictures of the Cottonmouths the color patterns appear to be aligned, is the alternating pattern because it is a Juvenile, and the pattern aligns as it matures?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The way I tell them apart is hershey's kisses = copperhead, digital camo bands and/or an evil looking robber mask = cottonmouth, a stupid look on their face = harmless water snake

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
In the first picture the pattern appears to be alternating from side to side while the subsequent pictures of the Cottonmouths the color patterns appear to be aligned, is the alternating pattern because it is a Juvenile, and the pattern aligns as it matures?
If you're talking about the two pictures in the post just above yours, he was showing the difference between the mocassin and the copperhead... top one is the cottonmouth, bottom one copperhead. But I may have misunderstood your question.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Hour glass shape is the Copperhead bottom photo. The shape narrows over the spine. Beautiful snake but I leave these bad boys alone. My cousin was bitten by one and her hand did not look human.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you're talking about the two pictures in the post just above yours, he was showing the difference between the mocassin and the copperhead... top one is the cottonmouth, bottom one copperhead. But I may have misunderstood your question.
I was just referring to the differences between the pictures of the mature cottomouths and the OP’s picture of what I assume is an immature cottonmouth. I have seen a fair amount of mature ones, just not any that were immature, and I was surprised that the pattern on the immature one appears to alternate in comparison to the adults.

·
Bearded Brotula
13,841 Posts
I was just referring to the differences between the pictures of the mature cottomouths and the OP’s picture of what I assume is an immature cottonmouth. I have seen a fair amount of mature ones, just not any that were immature, and I was surprised that the pattern on the immature one appears to alternate in comparison to the adults.
I see what you're talking about and haven't noticed if that is something that happens in all or just happenstance on that particular snake. I'll probably start looking more in the future.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Oh ok I understand your question now, makes sense. My bad. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I see what you're talking about and haven't noticed if that is something that happens in all or just happenstance on that particular snake. I'll probably start looking more in the future.
I have no doubt that your I.d. is correct, it just made me curious, because it was different, and I don’t think I have ever come across an immature one before to even know there was a difference in the pattern. The one thing I do remember, is the cottonmouth is the only snake I ever had come after me when I got a little to close, it’ll make you pucker up!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,568 Posts
Cottonmouths have a wide dark band at/across their eyes, young or old.

Copperheads, young or old does not share that trait.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh ok I understand your question now, makes sense. My bad. ;)
No worries! It wouldn’t be the first time that I typed something that made sense to me, but the turned out to be complete gibberish, especially when autocorrect thinks it is fixing words for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts