Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
cool pics , right at dark, batchin it, you'll probably see three apening day, good luck. last year it rained all the first week, hope that is not the case this year, is everyone shooting what walks or do you still have meat left???????

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
Man..I hate to see that...I got some more pics of the 10pt, I posted on another thread a few weeks ago, this past week and he was still in velvet. I was hoping he would stay in velvet for later this week but I'm betting if those guys are losing it he is probably losing his as well. They usually do the week before. I have seen a couple that held on to their velvet on into bow season over the years but they have been very few and far between.

Cool pics...Maybe I'll have some like that when I get back up to ALlater this week.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is the only buck in the whole bunch that im gonna shoot. i have pics of 2 spikes, 2 three points, a 6 and this 8... i thought about shooting 6 or better on this land but the 6 that i have pics of is just not worth shootin.. im gonna let him get a lil bit bigger. hopefully he will be a nice 8 next year..but my girlfriend wants to shoot him and mount him this year so im tempted to let her do it.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea it would be her first but i think im too greedy!lol i wanna grow him bigger. ive taught her good though cause she understands that we gotta let them grow a lil bit, but she thinks that hes grown enough!!haha not alot of people know that the deer we hunt in the panhandle of FL are a dif subspecies of whitetail. most people think that the reason the deer are bigger in AL is because the land has better nutrients(the black belt), while that is true, its also cause they are a species of whitetail that are bigger with bigger racks.. in the panhandle of FL and extreme southern AL we hunt The Florida coastal whitetail,Odocoileus virginianus osceola....

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ScullsMcNasty (10/13/2008)yea it would be her first but i think im too greedy!lol i wanna grow him bigger. ive taught her good though cause she understands that we gotta let them grow a lil bit, but she thinks that hes grown enough!!haha not alot of people know that the deer we hunt in the panhandle of FL are a dif subspecies of whitetail. most people think that the reason the deer are bigger in AL is because the land has better nutrients(the black belt), while that is true, its also cause they are a species of whitetail that are bigger with bigger racks.. in the panhandle of FL and extreme southern AL we hunt The Florida coastal whitetail,Odocoileus virginianus osceola....
You are right, kind of. Restocking efforts have caused a melting effect of whitetail subspecies in this part of the country.

In thepre-columbian south easternUS, I doubt that the deer in the florida panhandle were that much genetically different than deer, say,just north of the present day Alabama or Georgia boundry. Historically there was a visible difference between coastal mangrove deer in the FL peninsula compared to the interior deer subspecies, but I am not sure that the separation applied this far into the northern gulf. Either way, restocking diluted these differences.I still agree our buckshave less genetic potential, as well as poorer nutrition than deer in the the black belt or many parts of georgia. I amjust saying the genetic picture is fuzzy.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P-cola_Native (10/13/2008)
ScullsMcNasty (10/13/2008)yea it would be her first but i think im too greedy!lol i wanna grow him bigger. ive taught her good though cause she understands that we gotta let them grow a lil bit, but she thinks that hes grown enough!!haha not alot of people know that the deer we hunt in the panhandle of FL are a dif subspecies of whitetail. most people think that the reason the deer are bigger in AL is because the land has better nutrients(the black belt), while that is true, its also cause they are a species of whitetail that are bigger with bigger racks.. in the panhandle of FL and extreme southern AL we hunt The Florida coastal whitetail,Odocoileus virginianus osceola....
You are right, kind of. Restocking efforts have caused a melting effect of whitetail subspecies in this part of the country.

In thepre-columbian south easternUS, I doubt that the deer in the florida panhandle were that much genetically different than deer, say,just north of the present day Alabama or Georgia boundry. Historically there was a visible difference between coastal mangrove deer in the FL peninsula compared to the interior deer subspecies, but I am not sure that the separation applied this far into the northern gulf. Either way, restocking diluted these differences.I still agree our buckshave less genetic potential, as well as poorer nutrition than deer in the the black belt or many part of georgia, just saying the genetic picture is fuzzy.
and you are right aswell, the deer have interbred enough that there isnt much of a line anymore.. but if you take a close look at alot of the deer that are in the panhandle youll notice that they have shorter thinner tines than their cousins to the north. i dont know if thats because they are a dif breed or just because they dont have as much nutrients but i like to believe they are dif. it makes me feel really good when i shoota good deer in FL!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I agree, heck any mature buck is a trophy in my book. I know what you mean about the thinner shorter rack too, we've always saida short tined deer had a "florida rack".

We had multiple leases in Hybert, AL between Camden and Monroeville that had three distinct genetic rack make ups. Some went staright up like a classic six (real tall and wide, but no length out front), another was ahigh tight rack that rapped around in front, and the other was what we called a "florida rack" (real wide, but short tines). We also got a lot ofmixs, which resulted in a deer with a crooked rack. There was also supposedly the random fallow gene mixed in due to an old fallow herd near miller's ferry. I don't know if fallows can breed with whitetails, but Death From Above killed one that looked like that.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Another reason Florida deer are smaller is something called "Bergman's Law" - as an animals range moves closer to the equator, it's bodymass becomes smaller. That's why Saskatchewan deer can weigh 350#, the deer in my backyard rarely make 150, and Keys Deer are less than100.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts