Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought back 5 blackfin tuna form the rigs and have never cooked this fish. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I like to roll it in seesame seed and searin sesame oil.

Claydoo sears his in some kind of oriental paste.

·
Registered
60 Posts
we caught 3 at the edge Saturday and just quit because we were tired. I cut them just under the pec fin and bleed them in the fish box with lots of ice and then fillet them. Seared some that night with olive oil and sesame seeds for @ 20 seconds on each side and loaded them with pepper....dropped them in some soy sauce and wasabi......oh lord!!!!!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Never ate them fillet'd. I will have to try one. Cut into steaks, the ones I have cooked have been good.

QUESTION? , was the fillet like a YFT or is thier a blood line in it? I know I will see when I do it but was just wondering.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We fillet them after bleeding and icing of course. You need to cut the blood line out of the fish before cooking. Make sure the fillets are about 1 1/2" thick. Not too thick or it will be hard to get them rare enough and too thin they will cook all the way through very quickly. I like garlic, salt, course pepper, lemonand grill for about 2-3 min on each side. That will leave it still med-rare. I do want to try something new with it if we catch another and go the oriental style flavoring w/ wassabe, I love that stuff!!

4,058 Posts
just like you would a yellowfin. season to taste. instead of putting mine flat-side down on a hto skillet, i actually (my fillets are roughly triangular) cook them on each side of the triangle for just a couple seconds. makes for a beautiful medallion filet raw as hell on the inside yet seared on the outside. make sure to put a bit of olive oil in the skillet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know if this time of year would be the best for this recipe, but it is GREAT on a hot summer evening. I like to fillet the BFT, and rub some spices into the meat. I then take a small bowl and mix up a slurry of orange juice and brown sugar. Dab some of the slurry onto the meat with a brush and slap the fillets on the grill. Baste it with the slurry everytime you flip it. Cooking time depends on the size, but it won't take long.

Enjoy

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
The BFT has a blood line down the center of the filet, just skin out the fileet, cut it lengthwise down the blood line and trim it all off, and your left with 2 "loins" although of course much smaller than a YFT loin. Slice that puppy into mini 1 1/2" or so steaks, and yummy!

Its always better to cut across the grain, not with, andthe meat will be much tenderer that way, and fall apart in your mouth.

I rub "Hokan" brand (spelling?) shezuan paste on them liberally, comes in a lil jar, its thick, not a sause. Let it sit half hour or longer and get yer cast iron skillet blazin hot with a touch of oil, and sear!!!! Then slice in thin strips!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
BY THE WAY!! I OFFICIALLY OFFER MY SELF TO RIDE ALONG ON YOUR RIG TRIP WITH MY TUNA GUN IN THE PICTURE AND WILL GLADLY JUMP IN AND SPEAR THE YFT IF THEY ARE NOT BITING!!!! IT IS 4 BANDS WITH A BREAK AWAY LINE TO ATACH TO FLOATS, OR THE BOAT, AND I SHOOT, YOU WRANGLE THAT BEAST UP!!!!!

YFT BABY!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You guys are disgusting me! Blackfin are not good to eat at all!

They taste terrible and are full of mercury, give them to me and I will do you a favor and dispose of them. :) :)

Like everyone said man just remove the bloodlines and seare on a hot skillet and dip into a mixture of soy sauce and wassabi!:letsdrink

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
The Blue Hoo (11/19/2007)just like you would a yellowfin. season to taste. instead of putting mine flat-side down on a hto skillet, i actually (my fillets are roughly triangular) cook them on each side of the triangle for just a couple seconds. makes for a beautiful medallion filet raw as hell on the inside yet seared on the outside. make sure to put a bit of olive oil in the skillet.
Dang, that sounds good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ok, so two Saturday's ago we got a BFT. I tried blackening some last Sun, very tasty but I slightly over cooked it. After reading this post the other day I decided to thaw some. Tonight, I stopped by the big blue dollar store and picked up some Wasabi (looked for some of Clay's stuff but couldn't find any). Came home seasoned with a little ground black pepper, garlic powder, Tony's, and basil. Got the Olive oil heating and started the rice. Threw in skillet and seared. Below is what itlooked like, all I can say is WOW. Added a little Soy, and Wasabi. Dang, tried the wossey and although not bad the soy and wasabi was awesome. BFT although maybe not YFT is down right tasty.

After about 5 min.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Haa haa Duckhunter! I love the empty plate pic!

My wife gets that paste at Winn DIxie. In the ethnic section by chinese, mexican, and oriental.

If rarer meat doesnt bother you, try doin it a lil rarer than that, it is that much more tenderer. Is that a real word? tenderer?

Now I'm hungry

·
eating tasty
3,803 Posts
I just ate one, seared in olive oil and spices... MMMMM I am so addicted now! I HAVE TO CATCH MORE! Anybody need an extra to the rigs or edge, give me a shout!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Josh...whorin yerself out like that...should be ashamed...:)

By the way, duckhunter, heres a pic of kinda how rare.

That aint bft, though, its Redneckious Tuna, also known as Jack crevalle. Don't knock it till you try it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts