Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the boat, bought some medium saltwater spinning tackle for bay and smaller Gulf species. Now, if I want to troll for kings or perhaps for larger snapper and some grouper, I will need to buy some conventional tackle...will these conventional outfits get me started? If I am approaching this wrong let me know.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/penn-113h-114h-senator-reel-slammer-rod-combo

I will be probably staying within 20 miles of Destin with my Key West 219.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
That is a good price for that combo. Almost all charter boats use the Penn 113H for their go to reels.

That combo will do it all for you.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
That is a good price for that combo. Almost all charter boats use the Penn 113H for their go to reels.

That combo will do it all for you.
I have a question about the Penns. There was a post a few years back that was about newer Penn reels not being as durable as the old ones. Since you work on reels have you found that the case? Or, are there some models of the brand that you would not suggest?

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
I have a question about the Penns. There was a post a few years back that was about newer Penn reels not being as durable as the old ones. Since you work on reels have you found that the case? Or, are there some models of the brand that you would not suggest?

There is only one problem with the H2 China reels. The stainless steel they use is inferior. The gear sleeve gets rusted to the bridge pin. It takes a long while for it to happen but I see it a lot. All it takes is regular maintenance to stop this.

Other than that they are just as good.

Other Penn models that are definitely good are the Fathom star and lever drag reels. Hardly ever a problem.

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a good setup for the price as well, I use a penn spinning reel for kings with 30lb braid/mono. Throw a yaz vibe on there with about 2 feet of steel mono and you should hit some kings for sure especially trolling near the sea buoy. I have caught 5 this year ok 2 trips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts