Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not taking either side in this, just speaking my part on the rules. It isn't cheating the rest of the field for both boats to hammer those fish. All the rules say is that once the anglers allow one boat to fish, anyone is free to come on in and join them. This is done to prevent team fishing, but it happens all the time. That is how Ruskin was won last year, the two teams doing it got 1st and 2nd respectively. In Titusville, almost the entire top 10 were fishing the same area and bumping into each other, but everyone knew everyone else for the most part so no one cared. Not agreeing or disagreeing with how either team handled the situation, I have my opinion on it, but I'm not going to praise or insult anyone on either side of the argument. Big congrats to Jimmy and Curtis, you guys won, so don't give two s***s what anyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I understand both sides. Yes you want to protect your spot but you didnt know the rules and chad didnt have to tell you but he did and I think pulling your trolling motor up right when he said that was a little messed up on your part. And the phone call thing its not like it would make a difference its just one of those things thats in the rule book. COngrats on the win though

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Really? This is ridiculous. Some people will find anything to argue about. Congrats to the winners. Jimmy and Curtis did a helluva job.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
fisheye48 (3/14/2010)
Brant Peacher (3/14/2010)I think Jimmy and Curtis did a hell of a job and I think you are both great guys, but I have to agree with Chad on this.... Especially in a place as big as the pond... 100% of pro redfisherman would have leta friend/club member/local upgrade his fish. It happends every tournament....
so if you werent happy with you had in the box you would let somebody pull in and upgrade while you are both trying to win?? If im sitting on fish and have the chance to upgrade what i have im sure as hell not moving and let somebody come catch the possiable winning pair from where im sitting...fun fishing yes tourny fishing hell no!!!! Im trying to win myself not let somebody catch my fish because they are a friend or fellow competitor...pull up and tell rick murphy or somebody like that that you wanna fish where they are because you need to upgrade and see what they say
Rick Murphy works together with a number of other teams. When Chris, Matt, Chad, George, Eric, Sonny, Tadd Vandermark, Blair Wiggins, ect....Fished the FLW they all worked together with each other.

Matt and Chris have been on fish before and waved Tadd, Chad, and George in to get there two or vise versa. It's part of the game.

Also, Jimmy and Curtis have control over the fish because they found them. With that being said...they can tell chad...hey come on in here and get your two fish. Don't keep anything bigger than 26. And I know that chad would have respectively done that. You guys are acting like Jimmy and Curtis caught 4 fish all day. If my memory serves me right they caught 42....

I'm not taking anything away from Jimmy and Curtis. They did a fine job and congrats on a great win.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
chasin-tail (3/14/2010)

I'm gonna quote Michael Vick.."I ain't got a dog in this fight but"..

See Fisheye.....You dont know what you talkin about!! Rick Murphy ans Scott Guthrie are friends of ours and we have shared spots!! Would he share one with you ...probrably not...But your not friends.

From what I've been told the two teams were playing leap frog all morning trying to locate fish..When Jimmy and Garbo hooked a good one...They asked Chad how far apart they had to be..Cuz someone did know the rule....Chad told them 50yds if someone was pinned off...thats when the trolling motor went up and power pole went down. So, Chad and Vince backed off....

I'm not sure what Garbo means about the other 32 teams....Teams pair up all the time!! It works great to bounce a school ofreds back and forth.

During last years Grass Flats we caught our fish there too. Fishing side by side with Fred and Bruce..15 yds apart..they said they were leaving(bastards up graded too! but good for them.) We called Tony B and Hall B to come in the pond..(Calling is legal in that tourny).

Were Jimmy and Garbo wrong....NO....but they sure werent right!

Congrats to a great win!! It feels good dont it!!
Thanks for giving us the heads up during the last Grass Flats George and Chad! I thought that was pretty unselfish of you guys at the time. If I recall, there was about half the field fishing in there during the FLW champ. a few years ago. Seems like they all worked together pretty good. And it's not like Curtis/Jimmy located these fish out of the blue and had to protect them...those fish have been there since 1980...just a matter of what general area they're in and what or whether they're eating.

I personally would be a little bit more concerned about the phone call. The rules are rules, Chad/Vince didn't break any from what I can tell, but Curtis/Jimmy did. I don't care if it was an innocent little phone call...doesn't sound to me like there was an emergency as the rules state there should be if you make a phone call, and even then you are supposed to notify the tournament director that the phone call took place.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wharf Rat (3/15/2010)
chasin-tail (3/14/2010)

I'm gonna quote Michael Vick.."I ain't got a dog in this fight but"..

See Fisheye.....You dont know what you talkin about!! Rick Murphy ans Scott Guthrie are friends of ours and we have shared spots!! Would he share one with you ...probrably not...But your not friends.

From what I've been told the two teams were playing leap frog all morning trying to locate fish..When Jimmy and Garbo hooked a good one...They asked Chad how far apart they had to be..Cuz someone did know the rule....Chad told them 50yds if someone was pinned off...thats when the trolling motor went up and power pole went down. So, Chad and Vince backed off....

I'm not sure what Garbo means about the other 32 teams....Teams pair up all the time!! It works great to bounce a school ofreds back and forth.

During last years Grass Flats we caught our fish there too. Fishing side by side with Fred and Bruce..15 yds apart..they said they were leaving(bastards up graded too! but good for them.) We called Tony B and Hall B to come in the pond..(Calling is legal in that tourny).

Were Jimmy and Garbo wrong....NO....but they sure werent right!

Congrats to a great win!! It feels good dont it!!
Thanks for giving us the heads up during the last Grass Flats George and Chad! I thought that was pretty unselfish of you guys at the time. If I recall, there was about half the field fishing in there during the FLW champ. a few years ago. Seems like they all worked together pretty good. And it's not like Curtis/Jimmy located these fish out of the blue and had to protect them...those fish have been there since 1980...just a matter of what general area they're in and what or whether they're eating.

I personally would be a little bit more concerned about the phone call. The rules are rules, Chad/Vince didn't break any from what I can tell, but Curtis/Jimmy did. I don't care if it was an innocent little phone call...doesn't sound to me like there was an emergency as the rules state there should be if you make a phone call, and even then you are supposed to notify the tournament director that the phone call took place.
The only question I have is this.............If y'all are so damn upset about the phone call (which you quite obviously can't do anything about, since it was cleared with tournament officials BEFORE lines in), then why didn't one of you boys file a protest? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a bunch of whiny kids, jealous because they didn't win.

There was article on Kingfish Connection by Marcus Kennedy awhile back about defensive fishing, maybe I should post that on here for some of y'all to read. Try trolling in a 23 to 36 foot boat with 6 lines out behind you, anywhere from 10 to 100 yards out. I've fished tournaments where there may be 50 boats around one rig. The Officials for our tournies aren't thoughtful enough to write any sort of rules as to maintaining distances, etc., so we deal with it. You do what you gotta do. When you're fishing for money, you do what you've gotta do to win it. I'm sorry, but if we find an area with ALOT of fish, we may get on the radio and call a friend to tell 'em what area the fish are in, but I'm damn sure not gonna let 'em come and fish right on top of me - I mean, there's "helping" a friend out, and there's "HELPING" a friend out, and when there's a tournament win involved, I'm not gonna "HELP" anybody out that much!!

Bottom line - doesn't sound to me like Curtis and Jimmy did a darn thing that was wrong, illegal, outtaline,unsportsmanlike, etc. Sounds like they did a helluva job in some nasty azz weather, and took home the bacon!!Again......WAY TO GO GUYS!!!!!!!:clap:bowdown:clap

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Jamielu (3/15/2010)

The only question I have is this.............If y'all are so damn upset about the phone call (which you quite obviously can't do anything about, since it was cleared with tournament officials BEFORE lines in), then why didn't one of you boys file a protest? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a bunch of whiny kids, jealous because they didn't win.

There was article on Kingfish Connection by Marcus Kennedy awhile back about defensive fishing, maybe I should post that on here for some of y'all to read. Try trolling in a 23 to 36 foot boat with 6 lines out behind you, anywhere from 10 to 100 yards out. I've fished tournaments where there may be 50 boats around one rig. The Officials for our tournies aren't thoughtful enough to write any sort of rules as to maintaining distances, etc., so we deal with it. You do what you gotta do. When you're fishing for money, you do what you've gotta do to win it. I'm sorry, but if we find an area with ALOT of fish, we may get on the radio and call a friend to tell 'em what area the fish are in, but I'm damn sure not gonna let 'em come and fish right on top of me - I mean, there's "helping" a friend out, and there's "HELPING" a friend out, and when there's a tournament win involved, I'm not gonna "HELP" anybody out that much!!

Bottom line - doesn't sound to me like Curtis and Jimmy did a darn thing that was wrong, illegal, outtaline,unsportsmanlike, etc. Sounds like they did a helluva job in some nasty azz weather, and took home the bacon!!Again......WAY TO GO GUYS!!!!!!!:clap:bowdown:clap
I didn't fish the tournament, so I have no reason to whine. I just know what the rules say and I know how strict the IFA is on following those rules. Nobody would have ever known about the phone call if it hadn't been posted on the forum(and eventually edited out)from the person they talked to. You can only file a protest within 15minutes of the last check-in. I also never said that Jimmy/Curtis were required to let Chad/Vince in on the fish nor were they breaking any rules by keeping the fish to themselves. I just think it's ironic that the same people that get on here and preach about what a family the ECRC and PFF is(which Chad is a member of both) would block another "friend" out, even after said "friend" had given them a little refresher on the rules to their benefit.

If those kingfish tournaments you are fishing did have rules, I'm guessing you would do your best to read up on them and follow them??

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
Wharf Rat (3/15/2010)
Jamielu (3/15/2010)

I didn't fish the tournament, so I have no reason to whine. I just know what the rules say and I know how strict the IFA is on following those rules. Nobody would have ever known about the phone call if it hadn't been posted on the forum(and eventually edited out)from the person they talked to. You can only file a protest within 15minutes of the last check-in. I also never said that Jimmy/Curtis were required to let Chad/Vince in on the fish nor were they breaking any rules by keeping the fish to themselves. I just think it's ironic that the same people that get on here and preach about what a family the ECRC and PFF is(which Chad is a member of both) would block another "friend" out, even after said "friend" had given them a little refresher on the rules to their benefit.

<U>If those kingfish tournaments you are fishing did have rules, I'm guessing you would do your best to read up on them and follow them??
</U>

<U>What an idiotic response underlined above...</U>

<U></U>

From reading all of this it sounds like someone (or ones, since it dosen't seem to matter a rat's ass whether you were actually part of this tournament or not)is a little chapped since they did not win. <U>I know Curtis and I feel quite certain in saying this</U>...he is probably the most ethical and law abiding fisherman I have ever had the pleasure to meet. What some have eluded to here on this thread almost amounts to slander. With that said....some of you need to stop acting like a cry :baby

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That is one of those spots where you are going to have to deal with other boats its like fishing the Russian freighter everyine knows about it. I dont think what people find wrong is that you were protecting your fish, it is that you were unaware of the rules and chad was nice enough to tell you even though he could have not said anything and then you pulled your trolling motor up to push him away. If he had come in and it had already been out of the water I dont think there would be any big deal about it

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wharf Rat, in discussing the rules for the IFA tournament, you were the one that pointed out that it looked as if Jimmy and Curtis had broken the rules with their "innocent little phone call". In Curtis's post, it looked to me as if he had explained the family situation to the tourney officials when they registered. If it was cleared with officials, there shouldn't be an issue. Besides that, if Brad was the one that called to relay the info on Curtis's mother-in-law, I think I'm safe in assuming that Brad was at home (or on land, anyway), so was there any question that he was actually"aiding" Curtis and Jimmy in any way pertaining to fishing?

As far as the ECRC and the PFF all being family, and helping each other out - yeah, that's what we all usually do. I believe in helping each other out, but like I said before, when it comes to tournament fishing, where do you draw the line on "helping someone out"? Sounds like Chad was in the right area, but Curtis and Jimmy beat him to the hole. I wasn't there, I don't know, but I'm just thinkin' that if I got to the honey hole first, and I know I've gotta chance to win it, well, it's like Fisheye said, I'm in it to win for myself, not help every other team in the tournament win it. I guess we all have a different idea of how much we want to help our friends win it.This wasn't some little mom and poptournament where theywere fishing for a coupla hundred dollars and a coupleof fishing reels. With the kind of money that was at stake in this tournament, you fish hard, and you fish fair, but you fish for YOUR TEAM!!Reading Jimmy's post, it also it alsosounds like Jimmy and Curtis left the spot early and got to the scales with quite a while to wait, which leads me to assume that that left Chad or anyone elsea good bit of time to move into"the" spot and upgradetheir fish. Guess if they hadreally wanted to be rude, they coulda sat on that spot 'til the last minute so that no one else could get to it at all, huh?

And Yes, I went to the IFA site and read the rules, and yes, it was polite of Chad to refresh them on the rules about having the trolling motor down while being anchored.However, I think if it had been me (and I'm not certainly not claiming to be the expert know it all, because I'm definitely not!) and I had showed up to the spot where Jimmy and Curtis were "anchored", I would have given them the 50 yards required by the rules - the fact that the trolling motor was down (with the power pole being down as well), well,the trolling motorobviously wasn't being used to maneuver the boat. So why take advantage of the fact that the trolling motor was down? Technicality, I guess.What a great excuse to nothonor the 50 yard rule....in my opinion (my opinion! that's all it is, and ain't worth a whole bunch to some), it was pretty unsportsmanlike to use the trolling motor being down to void that rule. In Jimmy's first post, he made the comment about the "games".......no names were mentioned, and I'm sure it would have stayed that way if Chad hadn't come on and posted what he did. If he hadn't done that, most of us on here woulda been none the wiser about who was involved.In Jimmy's post, hewas never rude or ugly about it, and when I first read it, I wasn't sure if it was a recreational fisher, or another tournament boat, but Jimmy's tone in his post gave absolutely no reason to believe that there was ever any real issue.

I sure hate that Splittine's post to congratulate Jimmy and Curtis had to end up in yet ANOTHER soap opera like so many other posts on here. Everyone's got there ideas about how much you should 'help' your friends, unfortunately those are all opinions, and they all vary widely. The thing about the phone call - well, if it was cleared with the tournament officials, then it was cleared, not much more to say about that. And the power pole/anchor - trolling motorthing, guess that one will be left up to interpretation (back to that opinion thing).

Oh, and to answer your question Wharf Rat, when I fish a kingfish tournament, I do usually take the time to read over and familiarize myself with the rules. As far as I know, I've never knowinglybroken one, but I will say that I know PLENTY of people who fish those tournaments that are very familiar with them too, but will take every opportunity that they can to twist, bend, stretch, manipulate and bend over backwards to do some things they they know are questionable, but just didn't quite "BREAK" the rule, if they think it will benefit them. Guess if everyone would follow the rules with a sportsmanlike attitude, it would all be a little easier, huh?

Sorry 'bout the rant, but like I said, just my opinion (or .02, whichever's worth more!):blush:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I think a little better communication on both teams part about the situation would have resolved this on the water...just from what ive heard and been told...one thought the other would respect the others spot and now this all happened....hopefully both teams will understand one another and learn from this and move on to the next tournament and do good and help keep the IFA coming back and flourish in this area

·
Registered
479 Posts
fisheye48 (3/15/2010)I think a little better communication on both teams part about the situation would have resolved this on the water...just from what ive heard and been told...one thought the other would respect the others spot and now this all happened....hopefully both teams will understand one another and learn from this and move on to the next tournament and do good and help keep the IFA coming back and flourish in this area
Very well said. There was one other thing that Chad said that really bothered me - directed at Jimmy, he said that now that he knew what to expect, in future events, he would treat them as the enemy. Just came across as sounding really, really sour. Why not treat them like what they are (as well as all of the others out there that you're fishing against) - your COMPETITORS!!!!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Everybody that either supports Jimmy and Curtis or me and Vince thank you all for your comments. The tournament is over and again they did a good job winning and congrats. This is my last post on this matter I have said all I have to say to Jimmy through pm's I did not bring this to the public forum. So let it rest it is what it is and it is done. People just have different views and thats ok I now know who I will help out and you guys know who you are.We will see everyone in Panama City in June for the next event. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Guy's,

I apologize to everyone for my mistake in making a post that turned into 2 pages of crap! I was just excited after Curtis called me and said that all conditions with his family were good and to step down from stand-by. I meant no harm to two of my favorite fisherman and I sure as hell did not mean to start a name calling match that spanned the Gulf Coast. I hate drama and it's eating me alive to feel 100% responsible for this nonsense.

I wish we could all put aside our differences and opinons and let this whole little ordeal go away! Hell, there are tons more redfish tourney's this year left for everyone to prove them selves in. We all make mistakes and we better ourselves as peole and as anglers by learning from those mistakes. Hell I know I've made enough mistakes for all of us to learn from. So please, lets let sleeping dog's lie, meet up at Flounders tonight for the aweome seminar that Hot Spots is putting on for us and drink some damn BEER!!! I'll buy the first pitcher.

P.S.... I hear they have a pretty dang good guest speaker for tonight!!!!!!

Once again I want to apologize to everyone involved in this drama especially my two brothers Jimmy and Curtis..... (sorry I suck guys)

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
<P align=center>YOU GUYS NEED TO KISS AND MAKE UP<P align=center>
<P align=center><P align=center>A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS!<P align=center>

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I'm glad that some local anglers went out and had fun fishing a tournament. It's a bonus that some did really well on top of having a great time on the water. As with most other things in life there is a learning curve involved for all the anglers in tournaments. The way I see it, people had fun and learned some new stuff along the way. Great job to all involved!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Flatspro (3/15/2010)I did not bring this to the public forum.
Best that I can recall w/o looking back is that Jimmy never mentioned names.....You did......

Just saying, watch whatcha say on an open forum....It might bite ya in the butt.....

Congrats to Jimmy and Curtis......Fine job!!!!!!!

George

·
Registered
210 Posts
First off I want to start by saying congrats on a huge win. Alot of us have been trying to get a big win and not won and you two do it on your first try. I can only imagine the thrill you must have experienced after the scales closed.

Second, I did not fish this tourney with my brother because my wife is pregnant with our second child and is do any day. I did pay my half of everything and asked a good friend of mine to fish as my alternate in this tournament. He was able to fish for free on my dime. Because of that I have first hand knowledge about this alternate situation.

Here is were some confusion may have started on this thread.Some people think that the IFA approvedfor Curtisto have aalternate which is absolutely possible. The problem is they approve alternates as long as they are on the boat at checkout, under no circumstances would they allow a partner to get off a boat during tourney hours andthen be replaced by another. Thats were I think some people think the phone call is shady.

As for the incident with Chad and Vince that sucks for both teams. This situation could easily happen again in a couple of months in the P.C. IFA Tourney. Hopefully it will work itself out by then.

Once again congratulations on a big bag and win. Some people keep saying that is a big weight considering the conditions but that bag would finish on the podium in any tourney in this area.

Also, I am not a member of the ECRC but it is great to see so many teams from that club show up to fish. Hopefully more teams will show up in P.C. and O.B., But there is always that group of people that says their going to fish and never show up.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts