Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thank you all for your great support!!!

Our plan came together last week. I found some fish to the east during the Grassflats Classicand thought the fish wouldn't be too far off since the weather and tides were very similar. It worked, spots 2,3,4 never came into play. With the incoming tide and wind, it pushed a LOT of fish in a very tight area just outside of creek mouth along a drop off, 1.5ft-5ft. We had to play games with another boat to give us room to position ourselves in the right place and once we got there, we flat out wore them out. Powerpoled down we proceeded to catch our last 30 or so fish of the day. The bait of choice was.... yep a spoon, didn'treally matterwhat kind, I used two in particular, both Aqua Dream Spoons a new brand formerly Captain Mikes, solid black and gold colors, 1/4oz sizes. The only reason I didn't use one was because it broke after the 12 or so fish it hooked, hook broke off the blade... We caught 42 fish in total, 38 being slots, 2 over slot, 2 under. We left about 2 hrs earlier then usual do to the rough ride home. BAD ride home, worst I've seen in the bay without it being a huricanne. It resembled beingon a surf board trying to get outside when it's head high surf. We sat at the dock for about an hour waiting eagerly to weigh in. Really happy with the results of our fish and just as happy that we made it back in one piece. To put it into persepctive, the bay captsized one boat and the two anglershad to be rescued from the Coast Guard, "Deadliest Catch" Style. The tournament director told us that they are fine but my thoughts and prayers still go out to them.

Firsts that happened yesterday: catching over 40 fish in one day, bringing back a 14 + lb bag in a tournament, turning a 22 ft bay boat into a submarine, and best of all wiinning anIFA event.

Big thanks goes out to Jason Johnson, Brad K, my partner Curtis Gilbert, and to all that came out and supported us at the weigh-in. What a day...:)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jimmy good job. Games I don't call it games just fishing. We both were trying to accomplish the same goal, you guys prevailed and congradulations on that you did a great job. Now to touch on the games I do not feel I was playing games just trying to upgrade my small fish. But if thats what you think so be it. I could have not told you the rules about the trolling motor having to be in the stowed position to get the 50 yd rule. Once you put it up I moved out just as the rules state. I would like for you to know that I wasn't trying to ruin your fishing just to upgrade as you did. Congrats on that. I now know what to expect from you and Curtis in future events I will treat you as the enemy not as a friend. Thats cool though I am good with that. Anyways I am done beating a dead horse again congrats on the win and we will see you in June!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Flatspro (3/14/2010)Jimmy good job. Games I don't call it games just fishing. We both were trying to accomplish the same goal, you guys prevailed and congradulations on that you did a great job. Now to touch on the games I do not feel I was playing games just trying to upgrade my small fish. But if thats what you think so be it. I could have not told you the rules about the trolling motor having to be in the stowed position to get the 50 yd rule. Once you put it up I moved out just as the rules state. I would like for you to know that I wasn't trying to ruin your fishing just to upgrade as you did. Congrats on that. I now know what to expect from you and Curtis in future events I will treat you as the enemy not as a friend. Thats cool though I am good with that. Anyways I am done beating a dead horse again congrats on the win and we will see you in June!!!!!!!!!

:banghead

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
It would be my wish thatsomething so Cool,didn't come to this, but I guess I don't always get my wishes.

As far as Jimmy and I, We will treat all tournament competitors equally, with Respect, Honor and Courtesy we feel isdue to Fellow Sportsmen. We hope not tobe enemies or friends in tournament competition,as wewant fair competition, which would mean that we choose to follow and respect all rules as well as expect and wishothers competitors to do the same. We also feel that if we treat some competitors as "Friends" and others as "Enemies" we would be cheating every competitor that is not a "Friend" unfairly, so we will treat all competitors equally as fellow sportsmen ina faircompetition, as we both feel that is the only way we can look back and be true to ourselves and proud of anything that we mightaccomplish.

Jimmy and I had a conversation about ethics in tournament play before we ever fished together, and both of us feel that we would not truly win anything by not following the rules in competition, but we would short ourselves the"TrueThrill of Victory"and shortevery other fellow sportsmanfair competitionin the process if we didn't follow the rules. We can only wish that every other competitor will feel and follow the same idea and ethics.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Garbo (3/14/2010)It would be my wish thatsomething so Cool,didn't come to this, but I guess I don't always get my wishes.

As far as Jimmy and I, We will treat all tournament competitors equally, with Respect, Honor and Courtesy we feel isdue to Fellow Sportsmen. We hope not tobe enemies or friends in tournament competition,as wewant fair competition, which would mean that we choose to follow and respect all rules as well as expect and wishothers competitors to do the same. We also feel that if we treat some competitors as "Friends" and others as "Enemies" we would be cheating every competitor that is not a "Friend" unfairly, so we will treat all competitors equally as fellow sportsmen ina faircompetition, as we both feel that is the only way we can look back and be true to ourselves and proud of anything that we mightaccomplish.

Jimmy and I had a conversation about ethics in tournament play before we ever fished together, and both of us feel that we would not truly win anything by not following the rules in competition, but we would short ourselves the"TrueThrill of Victory"and shortevery other fellow sportsmanfair competitionin the process if we didn't follow the rules. We can only wish that every other competitor will feel and follow the same idea and ethics.
With you 100% Curtis!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Brant Peacher (3/14/2010)I think Jimmy and Curtis did a hell of a job and I think you are both great guys, but I have to agree with Chad on this.... Especially in a place as big as the pond... 100% of pro redfisherman would have leta friend/club member/local upgrade his fish. It happends every tournament....
Based on the rules that would have been unfair competitionto 32 other teams.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Brant Peacher (3/14/2010)I think Jimmy and Curtis did a hell of a job and I think you are both great guys, but I have to agree with Chad on this.... Especially in a place as big as the pond... 100% of pro redfisherman would have leta friend/club member/local upgrade his fish. It happends every tournament....

so if you werent happy with you had in the box you would let somebody pull in and upgrade while you are both trying to win?? If im sitting on fish and have the chance to upgrade what i have im sure as hell not moving and let somebody come catch the possiable winning pair from where im sitting...fun fishing yes tourny fishing hell no!!!! Im trying to win myself not let somebody catch my fish because they are a friend or fellow competitor...pull up and tell rick murphy or somebody like that that you wanna fish where they are because you need to upgrade and see what they say

·
Registered
954 Posts
fisheye48 (3/14/2010)
so if you werent happy with you had in the box you would let somebody pull in and upgrade while you are both trying to win?? If im sitting on fish and have the chance to upgrade what i have im sure as hell not moving and let somebody come catch the possiable winning pair from where im sitting...fun fishing yes tourny fishing hell no!!!! Im trying to win myself not let somebody catch my fish because they are a friend or fellow competitor...pull up and tell rick murphy or somebody like that that you wanna fish where they are because you need to upgrade and see what they say
I'm gonna quote Michael Vick.."I ain't got a dog in this fight but"..

See Fisheye.....You dont know what you talkin about!! Rick Murphy ans Scott Guthrie are friends of ours and we have shared spots!! Would he share one with you ...probrably not...But your not friends.

From what I've been told the two teams were playing leap frog all morning trying to locate fish..When Jimmy and Garbo hooked a good one...They asked Chad how far apart they had to be..Cuz someone did know the rule....Chad told them 50yds if someone was pinned off...thats when the trolling motor went up and power pole went down. So, Chad and Vince backed off....

I'm not sure what Garbo means about the other 32 teams....Teams pair up all the time!! It works great to bounce a school ofreds back and forth.

During last years Grass Flats we caught our fish there too. Fishing side by side with Fred and Bruce..15 yds apart..they said they were leaving(bastards up graded too! but good for them.) We called Tony B and Hall B to come in the pond..(Calling is legal in that tourny).

Were Jimmy and Garbo wrong....NO....but they sure werent right!

Congrats to a great win!! It feels good dont it!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Maybe its the competivness or whatever in me but in tournaments im in it to win it for me...if im on a good spot catching fish im not moving for my own mother....i entered to win not to help every team in the tournament...ive watched people catch fish on a spot i wanted to fish and gave them plenty of room and moved in when they moved out

·
Registered
798 Posts
chasin-tail (3/14/2010)
fisheye48 (3/14/2010)
I'm gonna quote Michael Vick.."I ain't got a dog in this fight but"..

See Fisheye.....You dont know what you talkin about!! Rick Murphy ans Scott Guthrie are friends of ours and we have shared spots!! Would he share one with you ...probrably not...But your not friends.

From what I've been told the two teams were playing leap frog all morning trying to locate fish..When Jimmy and Garbo hooked a good one...They asked Chad how far apart they had to be..Cuz someone did know the rule....Chad told them 50yds if someone was pinned off...thats when the trolling motor went up and power pole went down. So, Chad and Vince backed off....

I'm not sure what Garbo means about the other 32 teams....Teams pair up all the time!! It works great to bounce a school ofreds back and forth.

During last years Grass Flats we caught our fish there too. Fishing side by side with Fred and Bruce..15 yds apart..they said they were leaving(bastards up graded too! but good for them.) We called Tony B and Hall B to come in the pond..(Calling is legal in that tourny).

Were Jimmy and Garbo wrong....NO....but they sure werent right!

Congrats to a great win!! It feels good dont it!!
Hey George.

Couple key points:

-We were power-poled down the whole time. I asked Chad how far he's supposed to be because he came around us while we were poled down and he poled down to our port about 20 yrds apart from us and started casting for the most part right where we were and hooked up once or twice. Chad said there was no distance if a team has the trolling motor down, so I pulled it up... The pole was already down. After that Chad moved out of 50 yrds respectively. If there was an issue with that,I expected to settle it on the water right there, not here on the forum...I think the only reason why you are bringing upa phone call to Brad K (which was at the house all day...) and calling us enemies is because we didn't letChad upgrade on the fish that we were on.

-I agree it can benefit a team to work with another if a school is moving. These fish were not... They were funneled into an area about 50X 50ft. With us posted right next to them.

-We have never fished in a tournament of this magnitude and werereally trying very hard to protect this area. The way i see it, if we let Chad catch a fewof these fish, one being 26 and half inches when that's the one fish we need, we screwed ourselves, and cheated by helping another team.

-There was no reason to team up with Chad this day due to itnot being a school on the move.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts