Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Ahh yes, Hydrocynus goliath. These guys can approach 100#s in weight. There are three to five species in the genus. Some such as H. brevis only get about 18". I owned the second largest, H. vittatus which get about 50lbs.

I also owned their South American cousin, Hydrolycus armatus!!

Below is a picture of my armatus when he was a baby and what he will look like in a couple more years!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
ScullsMcNasty (10/24/2009)Holy Cow JD! i cant believe you let that thing hang out in your house.. mean lookin sucker for sure

They were juveniles. The vittatus unfortanetly busted the top of the tank and jumped out and died. :doh

The armatus now lives in Columbus, Ohio in a custom 800 gallon fish tank. He is approaching 2ft now. He is also the only H. armatus in the world in captivity that I know of that will eat from your hand. He tagged me though when he was about a foot long and with fangs near half an inch. I was feeding him silversides and opened the tank lid. Holding the fish by the tail with my thumb and forefinger just above the water, I looked over at my wife cause she asked me something. About that time the fish came out of the water and sunk his fangs into each finger straight to the bone! Of course being probably the only person in the world bit by one of these rare fish in captivity, I had to take a pic!

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
Yepper those are some cool fish.....I DVR and watch "Hooked" on the National Geographic Channel all the time and it has had that fish a few times....:letsdrink

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
JD7.62 (10/24/2009)Ahh yes, Hydrocynus goliath. These guys can approach 100#s in weight. There are three to five species in the genus. Some such as H. brevis only get about 18". I owned the second largest, H. vittatus which get about 50lbs.

So what do you do when they outgrow your tank? Have a fish fry? :poke

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Orion45 (10/24/2009)
JD7.62 (10/24/2009)Ahh yes, Hydrocynus goliath. These guys can approach 100#s in weight. There are three to five species in the genus. Some such as H. brevis only get about 18". I owned the second largest, H. vittatus which get about 50lbs.

So what do you do when they outgrow your tank? Have a fish fry? :poke

I dont think they would taste very good! But I use to have BIG fish tanks and have friends with fish tanks in the 2K gallon plus range.

Honestly only the smallest Hydrocynus sp can be kept in anything under 5,000 gallons. H. vittatus and H. goliath are not only BIG but they are very powerful and fast swimmers, think trying to keep a wahoo in an aquarium. On the other hand, Hydrolycus armatus, though they can get 50+lbs seem to "know" their tank and do not dart about and hit the glass. They are rather content in an aquarium and are a much better fish to keep because of that. An adult armatus could be keept in a tank as small as 10'Lx3'Hx5'W which is about 1100 gallons...very doable for a dedicated hobbyist. Besides...ALL african tiger fish are illegal in Florida. :boo

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
JD7.62 (10/24/2009)
I dont think they would taste very good! But I use to have BIG fish tanks and have friends with fish tanks in the 2K gallon plus range.

Honestly only the smallest Hydrocynus sp can be kept in anything under 5,000 gallons. H. vittatus and H. goliath are not only BIG but they are very powerful and fast swimmers, think trying to keep a wahoo in an aquarium. On the other hand, Hydrolycus armatus, though they can get 50+lbs seem to "know" their tank and do not dart about and hit the glass. They are rather content in an aquarium and are a much better fish to keep because of that. An adult armatus could be keept in a tank as small as 10'Lx3'Hx5'W which is about 1100 gallons...very doable for a dedicated hobbyist. Besides...ALL african tiger fish are illegal in Florida. :boo
Very interesting. Thanks

By the way, I can see why they are illegal in Florida. I would hate to see them get loose in our waterways.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
JD7.62 (10/24/2009)
ScullsMcNasty (10/24/2009)Holy Cow JD! i cant believe you let that thing hang out in your house.. mean lookin sucker for sure
They were juveniles. The vittatus unfortanetly busted the top of the tank and jumped out and died. :doh

The armatus now lives in Columbus, Ohio in a custom 800 gallon fish tank. He is approaching 2ft now. He is also the only H. armatus in the world in captivity that I know of that will eat from your hand. He tagged me though when he was about a foot long and with fangs near half an inch. I was feeding him silversides and opened the tank lid. Holding the fish by the tail with my thumb and forefinger just above the water, I looked over at my wife cause she asked me something. About that time the fish came out of the water and sunk his fangs into each finger straight to the bone! Of course being probably the only person in the world bit by one of these rare fish in captivity, I had to take a pic!

Hey JD, lets see some more rare tropicals.:takephoto

1 - 15 of 15 Posts