Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last I heard was Red snapper season was going to be shortened next year. Normally the dates were from April 21 to Oct 31. Then I read somewhere on the Forum that it would be cut to June 1 to Aug 31 in 2008,which was discouraging news to me. I just looked at the site for the World Champion Red Snapper Tourament in Orange Beach and the dates showed the tournament starting in April the 4 instead of the 21 of April. Are we going to have a longer Red Snapper season than previous years? attached is the site with dates. Tony can't attach web site . search internet for World Championship Red Snapper Tourament Orange Beach Al CLICK ON THIER HOME PAGE AND LOOK AT THE DATES

·
Registered
93 Posts
Honestly, I don't know how anybody can stay straight on every single regulation there is for fishing. I have folks coming up to me at work, because they know that I fish and ask how do I keep it all straight? To be honest I don't spend all the time that I use to on the computer and therefore, I can't keep it all straight. I don't know when red snapper season ends or begins anymore, I don't know what the snook season is, I think I know what the size limits are, but I'm not sure. Grouper the same. They're changing every six months to a year, how the hell can anybody keep everything straight? If you're an avid fisherman/person and not on the computer every day (like I use to be) you can't keep it straight.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,177 Posts
June 1 to Sept. 30, 122 days. Limit 2 per person.

Isn't that great for the Destin Rodeo (Oct1-Oct 31) No red snapper catagory next year.:sick

Maybe the State of Florida will open during October.:bowdown

Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is that written in stone? Is Florida going to adopt the federal regs now with snapper? They never did before. Before the state opened on April 15 and closed on Oct 31. When federal red grouper was closed, florida state regs were open.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know what the proposed changes are whalersailor, but only because I check the forum about once a week now. I use to be (as you well know) on here every day or on another fishing forum every day and could keep up with everything. How is somebody that either doesn't have a computer or does have a computer and doesn't know about great websites like this suppose to keep everything straight?

Like I said, it's not just about snapper, it's grouper, snook (which I fish for down here), and a few others.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too! :mmmbeer But the whole problem is the feds and the state can't get their heads together, either the feds change or the state does every three months. Before you couldn't pinch the tail, now you can, but they change the size limits because of the tail pinch. Somebody better make up their damn mind and make it a law. I'm surprised every fisherman that has been pulled over hasn't been given a ticket of some sort.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zekes is still having it called the red snapper world chaimpionship but this year is a little different than others dew to the regs. As I understand it , it will be on other speices like cobia, grouper, aj ,ect. sorrta like rodeo style , then I think they are having a snapper division starting in june. They are trying to keep things happining in the spring even though the snapper regs have changed. Thats just what I have heard...I think they are still working out the kinks and have not shown it on there web site yet.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Roger that , People are still going to fish, and Orange beach is trying to keep it fun plus trying to help the local econ. buy promoting fishing.....Still dont have all the details on the tourney, but Im sure it will be advertised soon.....

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Spork (12/24/2007)So therefore pressure will be put on other species due to snapper being closed?
CAPT. PAUL REDMAN (10/23/2007) <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">16 inch size limit<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">2 fish bag limit<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">June 1- September 30 season (122days)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Say good-bye to Cobia and King's they will be severly targeted

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
It'll be finalized Feb. 7 in Panama City.

Wanna go.

The RFRA is gonna raise hell at that one.

Just a short rant: Texas has the balls to stand up and have a year-round season with 4-fish limit. Why can't Florida? We draw four times as much money from the fishing economics. We have more registered boat owners and fishermen then any other place on the planet.

I'm not saying "Our way or the highway" but I have hours of video footage taken the week or two after snapper season closed and trust me, there is not a shortage of those hungry bastards. They even tried to eat the camera a few times.

When divers -- on public wrecks mind you -- have to push red snapper out of the way to shoot at other fish, there's no worries in my mind about the health of THAT fishery.

End rant now.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Just a short rant: Texas has the balls to stand up and have a year-round season with 4-fish limit. Why can't Florida? We draw four times as much money from the fishing economics. We have more registered boat owners and fishermen then any other place on the planet.

Excellent point JoeZ. I may get flamed for stating this, but the only thing I can come up with for this stupid decision, and added to the fact that the FWC is planning to allow commercial fishermen to take smaller (I think proposed 13") snapper could only mean they're being influenced by the commercial fishery. Smells fishy to me....pun intended!!!

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Yeah, the FWC commissioners, the decision makers, are mostly commercial-friendly.

I think, don't quote me, but I think the woman on the board owns a fish market or fleet down south and got busted for one of her captains going all kinds of pirate or something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the people care they would show support for their sport by going to Panama City and protest on Feb 7 th. Give them more info and a contact. This might get more people there Than showedon Thursday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts