Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with a buddy of mine just outside Evergreen this morning and boy did we see some deer. Finally seen bucks chasing. There were bucks running does everywhere this morning. We let all of them walk, including a nice young eight that will be a fine buck next year. My buddy did kill a screwed up rack 5 point that weighed about 190 or so, and his neck was as big as a five gallon bucket. In total we saw 48 deer this morning. The rut is here and kicking up this way!!!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
48 deer in one morning, wow! That's good to hear, we'll be heading to Northern Conecuh Countytomorrow to hunt through Sunday night!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had about the same experience this morning in Conceuh County also. I saw five diffrent bucks before 7:50 am,been waiting on this all year. I had to get down and go to all things, jury duty. One was a small eight pointer, but I know Mr. Big is in there somewhere so I let them all walk.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
I must be hunting the wrong land. Nochasing over here near Brownsville...just outside of Evergreen. Both my dad's bucks stunk but it's hasn't busted wide open yet. They were just cruising through.My buddy saw3 this morn and thought he heard 2 of them tappin horns...I didn't see squat and my dad saw the back of his eye lids.. I think I'm just snake bit this year... Got 4 1/2 more days to get after it... Fixin to head back out in a few minutes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to bust the hide off this buck and then head out. I am going to hunt a field this afternoon. I still ain't seen a big one.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I always say that I wish they would tack on another 2 weeks to the season. I agree, the sign has picked up dramatically in conecuh county over the last few days. I saw at least a dozen deer on the side of HWY 137 coming home last night. I watched a dozen turkeys feed in a field for over an hour, then watched a herd of deer come in right at dark.

I wish I had just a few more days to hunt, but I got to work the rest of the time left this season. I did manage to shoot a few this year, which I certainly had to hunt hard to get.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hope the rut has kicked off in Butler County! Headed to thefather in laws place tommrow night. Be in the stand bright and early Fri! Last weekendof season! Time for some redfish on the half shell!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Ok I hope all the talk of movement means success for me this weekend. I'm headingout the door to Conecuh County now to hunt all afternoon today and then all day the rest of the days through Sunday night! Good luck to all this weekend, this is it for Bama this year!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Heading to Brownsville/Evergreen tomorrow afternoon to hunt Saturday and Sunday. I hope the activity keeps up!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only saw two does this morning. Both of them were acting skidish and the larger of the two was "working it". She had her tail flicking back and forth. No bucks seen.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm not doubting you but I just got back from hunting the Conecuh National Forest for the last two days and I didn't even see a deer. A guy camping next to me killed a basket eight and it's tarsals weren't black and stinking and it's neck wasn't swollen.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Geronimo (1/28/2010)I'm not doubting you but I just got back from hunting the Conecuh National Forest for the last two days and I didn't even see a deer. A guy camping next to me killed a basket eight and it's tarsals weren't black and stinking and it's neck wasn't swollen.
I shot a doe at Dad's house(in the middle of the Conecuh National Forest)on Tuesday. There were 6 deer in the field when I shot it. Dad saw a buck the day before in the same bunch of deer, but he decided not to come out on tuesday.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
It's dead as a hammer here in Brownsville. Very little scraping, very little rut activity. Not seeing any bucks behind does. Very slow... Gonna be February before it bust wide open.

Other than the poacher/tresspasser we caught this afternoon it has been slow the last 2 days. Classic story. Guy sitting up against a tree with fresh limbs he cut. His buddy, who happens to live up the road, tells him he can hunt in there. White paint and big timber change at property line.Very obvious! Plus they had ridden 4whlers all over the place too. Great neighbors we have. Oh yea...did I mention he wasn't even wearing orange. Just awesome.

We really need to get on the AL Game and Fish Commision about extending the season for a week or two. The rut just gets later and later every year.That along with all the baiting needs to be addressed. Either make it legal for everyoneor start enforcing the law. Put some more game wardens to work and get rid of all the sorry ones that don't do crap but draw a pay check now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The place that we hunted yesterday was on 84 behind the airport, and bucks were chasing does all morning. I hunted most of the day today and only saw the two does this morning. Pulled the card on my camera and had a ton of deer, all at nights still. Not sure what the difference is between my place and the one we hunted yesterday, but it is dead here. I am going to try and get back over there tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Dad shot a 5 point on wednesday evening. My sister-in-law went to the same stand and shot ANOTHER 5 point thursday evening.

Both conecuh county, near evergreen. Both deer were moving with a destination in mind, going somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts