Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we had some issue at my office. I'm almost positive it was a windows update. Mouse started freezing, computer hanging up etc.. I uninstalled all new updates and the problem got better but now 4 of the 5 computers keep crashing about every hour with a DCP Watchdog Violation error. Has this been happening to anyone else? And before I start getting information, I am a pretty advanced PC user, if i'm posting here, I have tried all the obvious stuff and i'm sure we don't have a virus.

Any guru's out there chime in or PM me, I will pay to get this problem fixed!!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Mine does the same thing...it seems like everytime I open my email, it triggers the symptoms....I have to force shutdown with the power button then reboot....I assumed it was my computer is not fast enough or not enough memory.....I need the fix also.....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does the same thing...it seems like everytime I open my email, it triggers the symptoms....I have to force shutdown with the power button then reboot....I assumed it was my computer is not fast enough or not enough memory.....I need the fix also.....
We were thinking it was some program triggering the problem at first but it appears to be random!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, 3 of the computers are less than a year old so it don't discriminate!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This happen to be one of the Win 10 update?
Yes, but what ever the update installed, it conflicted with Malware Bites. Malware is causing the problems because we are running it on all computers. I figured it out this morning!!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Did you update malwarebytes to fix this?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Reelsick fixed mine remotely just yesterday
The dude is awesome - takes it on as if it was his own.
He will take care of it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have not seen a win 10 update it a long time, maybe a fake update? they are out there

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have not seen a win 10 update it a long time, maybe a fake update? they are out there
Feature updates roll about every 6 months. 2004 came out now long ago. Typically they aren't forced until you are 3-4 behind or have software that specifically calls for a release.
1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, 2004 are the most recent releases. TONS of cummulative updates rolling inbetween these feature updates as well.

I've only deployed 2004 on a few machines. Most of my W10 I maintain in the wild are sitting on 1909 still. It's been fine going from 1909 to 2004. 1903 and 1909 were so closely related that I would think 1903 to 2004 would be fine as well. I would just be nervous jumping from 1809 or earlier up to 2004. I've had a 1809 blow up going to 1909 that required some minor repairs, so no telling if 2004 would end the same.

Can always download the Windows 10 media tool and try an inplace upgrade to 2004 depending on where you stand now, or burn the iso to a usb drive, boot the usb drive and run through a repair.

Or install Linux, which is my recommendation lol

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Windows completely lost me after Win 8. Windows has become a lumbering juggernaut, demanding more and more CPU and RAM resources, which in turn requires the latest hardware and constant updates. The last home PC we bought was an Intel I5 with 8MB RAM, and it runs like an Amish buggy with the new Windows. Microsoft would be hosed if the US government wasn't its biggest customer. If it weren't for needing MS Access, I'd do all my work on a Chromebook.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wrong yet again. We ran the Malware repair tool and things got better for a while and now the problem is back. It mostly happens when we are opening files with explorer.exe. Monday morning i'm going to start disconnecting pc's from the network to see if that's the cause!!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I was wrong yet again. We ran the Malware repair tool and things got better for a while and now the problem is back. It mostly happens when we are opening files with explorer.exe. Monday morning i'm going to start disconnecting pc's from the network to see if that's the cause!!
What do you rely on for antivirus locally? Using a firewall with packet inspection for network security? Malware scans/repairs will cover some of the issues, but can cause more harm than good for certain cases if you lack in other areas of security. You can end up needing to repair Windows with some cleanups.

What build number / feature pack are you running on right now? If its struggling after a cleanup and you are on say feature pack 1903 or 1909, go ahead and upgrade directly to 2004 and finish all the cumulative updates to see if things improve. A lot can be repaired easily with jumping up through the feature packs rather than getting into the weeds of manually repairing or throwing repair tools at it. I would also run through BIOS updates since there are a lot of chipset and cpu vulnerabilities being patched frequently these days.

For AV, Windows defender is ok for some stuff but lacks if you have something running rampant on your network.
I support kind of a mix of ESET, Cylance, and Carbon Black for AV and mostly no issues on any of those options. But they are also fairly tightly locked down behind solid firewall rules with packet inspection, DNS over TLS with DNS filtering, and IDS/IPS. Have to do what you can for Windows.....

Have specific software that requires Windows? Anything crazy licensed that requires jumping through activation hoops on reinstall? You can always go scorched earth and wipe and reinstall, which sometimes can be faster than attempting cleanup and repairs. That is especially true if it's AD/AzureAD domain connected and users have data stored elsewhere and not a huge software list or weird activation process. Hell if they are all the same or similar hardware and software list just reinstall one and build a master image to put on the others and deploy from there. 5 computers you are talking maybe 1/2 day.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i stopped using malwarebytes years ago because of this problem you script.
i didn't research any of the issues you posted but here is what i use and have experienced very few problems. if there is a problem, an operating system reinstall after all files are transferred will also doctor it up.
chrome, the browser i use, sometimes get attacked. delete it and reinstall. no explorer.exe.
superantispyware has sniffed out many issues especially sluggish response times but does nothing to a blue screen. (ouch) reinstall.
bottom line. i think chrome checked occasionally with superantispyware keeps me up and running.
jack

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you rely on for antivirus locally? Using a firewall with packet inspection for network security? Malware scans/repairs will cover some of the issues, but can cause more harm than good for certain cases if you lack in other areas of security. You can end up needing to repair Windows with some cleanups.

What build number / feature pack are you running on right now? If its struggling after a cleanup and you are on say feature pack 1903 or 1909, go ahead and upgrade directly to 2004 and finish all the cumulative updates to see if things improve. A lot can be repaired easily with jumping up through the feature packs rather than getting into the weeds of manually repairing or throwing repair tools at it. I would also run through BIOS updates since there are a lot of chipset and cpu vulnerabilities being patched frequently these days.

For AV, Windows defender is ok for some stuff but lacks if you have something running rampant on your network.
I support kind of a mix of ESET, Cylance, and Carbon Black for AV and mostly no issues on any of those options. But they are also fairly tightly locked down behind solid firewall rules with packet inspection, DNS over TLS with DNS filtering, and IDS/IPS. Have to do what you can for Windows.....

Have specific software that requires Windows? Anything crazy licensed that requires jumping through activation hoops on reinstall? You can always go scorched earth and wipe and reinstall, which sometimes can be faster than attempting cleanup and repairs. That is especially true if it's AD/AzureAD domain connected and users have data stored elsewhere and not a huge software list or weird activation process. Hell if they are all the same or similar hardware and software list just reinstall one and build a master image to put on the others and deploy from there. 5 computers you are talking maybe 1/2 day.
I think my pc is on 1909 build. I did in fact go scorched earth and reinstalled a fresh copy of 10. I use Carbonite so I keep everything backed up. I did a fresh install, then updates, then installed Malware and i'm having the same problems as the other pc's. We are getting the DPS watchdog violation error before it reboots. I have updated all HD drivers, graphic drivers, and everything I can think of.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you tried this?

If you look at my 1st post, I updated all the drivers. I have read every article on the net on how to fix it. My concern is that I now have 4 of them getting this error and rebooting. That's the odd part! If i'm posting for help, I have already spent days trying to fix it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts