Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
WWW.Fishing

There was a time when average people didn't have go fast boats and deep pockets and needed/wanted and some still do. Not much/all snapper go's to canada. Allot stays in local restaurants.

ps: you win the Bi$^% award:looser

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
www.fishing (4/20/2009)
John B. (4/20/2009)
www.fishing (4/20/2009)
John B. (4/20/2009)
www.fishing (4/20/2009)
John B. (4/20/2009)
Freespool (4/20/2009)To the people who are complaining about the commercail guys being able to fish year round, It does not matter when they are allowed to fish becasue they get a quota for the whole year. They can catch as many per trip until the quota is filled. Alot of guys are already done with their snapper for the year.
exactly, commercial fishermen are very strictlyregulated and their trip tickets/quotas are watched very carefully.

commercial fishermen are NOT the enemy

Every time you make a comment i wonder who have you been hanging around.WTF
commercial snapper regs this year are basically like having an apple tree in your back yard and the guvment telling you you cant pick the apples till the ones paying the lobyist dollars gets there share.
But you might say well thats different its your property you can do what you want.Than another one of my points.People that sell beef Corn or any other market for profit have to BUY THE LAND,PLANT THE SEEDS AND RAISE THE SHIT.THEY JUST DONT GET TO GO OUT AND TAKE IT TO SELL.Its the same principle.If everyone in this country had to catch there own seafood it would be so much better off.If the canadians want fish tell em to dig lakes and raise nasty ass catfish.I AM SO SICK OF THE REGULATIONS IN FAVOR OF THE COMMERCIAL GUYS OR THE ONES THAT ACTUALLY GET OUT THERE TO CATCH IT HAVE TO SHARE IT WITH THE GUYS THAT ARE JUST TAKING TO PROFIT.Its ass backwards.If there jobs are based on taking fish that makes the regulations so tough for the GUYS THAT LIVE HERE that cant go out and catch a decent catch.JUST SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY.The world is shrinking and they are in the wrong business.One day there will be no commercial fishing at all and its gonna be tough shit on them guys.Imagine people that live in DENVER wont be able to get decent fish.They will be eating captian Gordans Catfish sticks or some farm raised Junk fish in a swamp in Vietnam.
maybe everyone should have to stucco their own house while we're at it, and make our own fishing reels, and catch our own bait instead of giving the bait boat $, and pull our boats to the ramp(that we will have to build) by horse and carrige...

not trying to start anything, i'm just sayin.
Its a sevice that doent take away or affect anyone else so your comparing apples to grapes.THERE IS NO OTHER PRODUCT THAT AFFECTS ANYONE ELSE AS MUCH AS FISHING.When the stevens act was passed commercial fisherman should have been the first to go.Its the truth.Why would our government even consider into taking a recreational guys limits and fish away so the fish can be harvested and mailed to canada .Its called the dollar and the only way you can justify it is because it puts dollars in your pockets.In the meantime i have to wait till JUNE to go out and catch 2 lousy ass snapper a day when the guy in Canada gets to eat the shit year round.ITS BS
you could always go cobia fishing :poke

you can eat snapper year round too, joe patties in right up the way...
I dont even like snapper im just saying.I hate even catching them but i really do feel for the guys that do like to catch them.I even support the charter guys that take people out.At least those people have the balls to go out and at leas
t catch the fish.But a commercial fisherman to me is just taking what they can take as long as the government allows just so they can make that money knowing that the guys that get out there to catch the stuff are suffering in the process.
A few posts up you said you like to eat red snapper? Make up your mind

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
www.fishing (4/20/2009)
I dont even like snapper im just saying.I hate even catching them but i really do feel for the guys that do like to catch them.I even support the charter guys that take people out.At least those people have the balls to go out and at leas
t catch the fish.But a commercial fisherman to me is just taking what they can take as long as the government allows just so they can make that money knowing that the guys that get out there to catch the stuff are suffering in the process.
wouldn't that be the same as a charterboat making money by taking people to catch ARS on public spots???

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yah I don't see the problem wit hthe commercial guys. We should all be mad at the lawmakers and environmentalists. There is no shortage when you can drop a Bandit to the freaking swivel in 180ft of water and have a snapper on all 20 hooks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
it boils down to someone in govt is making money on the situation. Its just like gas, we have enough natural resources to fuel our country for hundreds of years yet we rely on importing oil and it inflates the cost!! we export all of our resources so the middle man ( our govt) profits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
www.fishing. First off i dont believe that you have been red snapper fishing lately! there are more snapper than i have ever seen in the gulf of mexico! there are more snapper than my dad, who has been commercial fishing in the gulf for over 30 years has seen! if any thing is a problem its the snapper! ya in a few years there will be no other fish because the snapper will swarm on every wreck and clean it of any other fish! FREESPOOL didnt make up his las statement. Every commercial trip my dad ran were farther out then every monkey boat can run. Talking bout when you round up on a spot 30 miles off shore and there are snapper chewing the bottom paint off the boat and you catch 3,200 pounds in a few hours! there is no shortage.most of the commercial boats the run out of places like allen williams do nothing but snapper fish so they have huge fish boxes, they dont fish public stuff!!! they run offshore were they can anchor on spots and stay out for days at a time. snapper permit are federal so they cant fish in state waters anyway!!! and all the rec. boats don;t want to waste the money to run ofshore and our most likely fishing in state waters!! and what about YOU www.fishing when you go red snapper fishing let me guess you catch two snappers call it a day and go home....NEGATIVE you fish and fish and fishand fish untill you have a decent grade!!! well i dont care if you pet your snapper kiss yoursnapper and even vent your snapper. when they are on their way back down to the three barges they get eaten by a dolphin almost everytime. i just dont see why we must bash anyone? we need to be worried about the cobia i stay stop the harvest for 5 years and no more sale of the fish.. yah like that will ever happen. to many people worried about the most abudant fish in pensacola... were talking thicker than white trout!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
In one thread everyone says snapper are so think that they are about to take over the gulf and run off the other species of bottom fish and then in this thread the commercial fishermen are catching all of them.

I agree the regs are screwed up and I include myself as a recreational snapper fishermen. I also fish commercial and can see the guys with fed permits and IFQ's aren't the problem. It's the environmentalists that pushed this screwed up congressional act. It was THEIR money that got the snapper fishery shut down (grouper, AJ, trigger, and everything else is next).

The IFQ's screwed alot of guys with 200lb permits, and reduced the catch on bigger boats. They have/are establishing IFQ's for grouper, trigger, and AJ's which will cut down the take of those. Everyone is facing tighter restrictions.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
I said it a long time ago that this is what should happen!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I'm just glad my son is old enough enough to fish now, at least this year "my boat's quota" will increase to 4. For commercial fisherman to even compare themselves to recreational fisherman is B.S. Most ofus recreational fisherman have to work a 40+ hour week. We don't have the privilidge of going out any day of the week to get our "quota". No, now we get about7 weekends over the hottest months of the year to go out and try to catch enough Red Snapper to fll the freezer for the other10 months of the year. The whole time commercial fisherman continue to fish whenever they want up until they reach their quota. If the damn season is closed for recreational fisherman itshould be closed for commercial fisherman.Force the commercial fisherman to get his quota during the same short season that the recreational fisherman get. Don't tell me it's not about money, it's all aboutthe money.:banghead:hoppingmad

·
Registered
441 Posts
The root of the problem with this issue is the NMFS used flawed data in making their decisions. An independent group needs to come in to the gulf (Texas to Key West), gather data from commercial, charter, and public fisherman in a scientific, unbiased way through logs, quotas, dives, and even public fisherman catch data ( if we want to bitch about the problem, then we should be willing to fill out detailed catch logs for a period of 2 years to ensure that an accurate account of fish stocks and populations are gathered) the data should be compiled, analyzed, and checked for accuracy. Reliability and validity should be assessed to ensure that the same thing that happened with the last survey doesn't happen again before this data is made available. Clearly reassessment is the only way to fix any of the problems in the GOM. Data should be broken down by region to make decisions. Just because we don't have snook here doesn't mean they're endangered, know what I mean?Same thing applies to snapper. Just because they're not catching very many in Tampa doesn't mean they're endangered everywhere. Going back to square one is the only way to fix the problem. Everyone bitched about not being able to really find grouper in the shallows this year (except for recess, that guy is F'ing unbelievable!!) I think it's because the snapper population, by not being fished to a lower level, ate up all the bait on the shallower rigs, preventing the grouper from coming in and spawning. Is this going to affect future grouper stocks? Who knows! But the fact is, these fish are so overpopulated in this area that they are starving themselves and at the same time wiping out entire reef populations. Without some sort of predator to keep things in balance, it's only going to get worse.

Bob

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I can see this post is going nowhere but down. The only thing I have to say is that our government does not get involved in ANYTHING without screwing it up for everyone. Bar none. Don't even get me started. The government could not find their way out of a paper sack with instructions written on the inside of it.

Just to give the illusion of fairness, the commercial guys should also be required to catch their snapper in the same time period as we do as recreational fishermen.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
John B. (20/04/2009)not many commercial guys fish public stuff. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it is alot less than what people think.
I think it happens more than you think. I have only been offshore 3 times this year. Every time I have been out there i have seen a commecial boat on a public number. 2 out of 3 times it has been the Jim-N-I fishing the antares. I did not get the name of the other boat.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts