Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I live in Houston TX and do a lot of BTB fishing all over the Texas coast mostly targeting kings, ling and snapper. I am thinking about making a road trip to the Pensacola/Nevarre/Fort Walton area Wed 7/9 and staying until Sunday 7/13. The only thing I am concerned about is the weather forecast for thunderstorms this week. I was hoping you guys could help me out if this is a typical pattern this time of year and you just need to keep your head on a swivel for squalls popping up or is the forecast looking like a deal breaker?

Also, if possible I would love to meet up with some of you guys and do some BTB fishing and share battle stories

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep the weather pattern is hit and miss for july and aug. It will settle a little come sept. If you are on a boat with radar you will be able to stay dry with a thunder shower coming through every now and then. A front coming and you are going to get wet and spend a little time with white knuckles. Forecast now for Saturday is around 30%. We will be offshore and hope to have 1 foot or less (ha ha) and be able to see the thunder bumpers coming from the west in time to avoid them. Come on over the snake kingfish bite is off the charts. Red snapper are waiting for some one to drop a bait a few big mingos are being caught close to shore and if you spend some time at night the grays are biting also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response purple haze, I'm just bringing my yak so no radar other than cell phone. I'm still kind of on the fence due to the thunderstorm forecast but may still head down later tonight or early tomorrow morning. I assume you meant you guys were going out on Saturday from the kayaks? If I make it down any way I can meet-up and launch with you guys? Also, down here for kings I typically troll ribbonfish on wire leaders or troll lures. You guys use ribbons ever or only cigars? For snapper I drop carolina type rig with fluoro leader with cut bait on circle hook, sound about right? (any particular kind of cut bait work better in your waters?) Also, what are the chances of getting into a sail or hoo this time of yr?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I live in Houston TX and do a lot of BTB fishing all over the Texas coast mostly targeting kings, ling and snapper. I am thinking about making a road trip to the Pensacola/Nevarre/Fort Walton area Wed 7/9 and staying until Sunday 7/13. The only thing I am concerned about is the weather forecast for thunderstorms this week. I was hoping you guys could help me out if this is a typical pattern this time of year and you just need to keep your head on a swivel for squalls popping up or is the forecast looking like a deal breaker?

Also, if possible I would love to meet up with some of you guys and do some BTB fishing and share battle stories
you may want to re-think your travel plans and hit port o'conner :)
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texan-breaks-records-with-humongous-catch-in-Gulf-5590768.php#photo-6537141

1 - 4 of 4 Posts