Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So happy to find this forum. I am coming from Arkansas to stay on Miramar Beach for 7 days. June 23-30th. I am and avid freshwater fisherman. Crappie,Bass, Catfish and Trout here in Arkansas. I hope to spends as much time as possible keeping a line wet during my visit. The only problem. I have no clue about salt fishing! I really want to catch a mess of speckled trout in the bay. Any advice on permits gear bait technique, where to go? Would be greatly appreciated. Also we are wanting to take an 8-12 hour guided trip on the Gulf. Any suggestions on guide services? What's best to go for this time of year? Snapper? Shark? Marlin? Cobia? I want them all! Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am in your same situation been down twice and as a bass fisherman the Zara spook and a Jerk bait of some sort always pay off for me , no clue on live bait taking my boat this year and hoping for some success. This board is awesome lots of good guys and from what I can tell it's not like bass fishing with non stop pro staffers and Egos may just move and switch to salt water!

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,242 Posts
A relative inexpensive way to learn and catch a few few fish is to spend a day on a party boat. You probably won't catch the largest fish in the gulf, but can learn quite a bit from some of the old salts. Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
328 Posts
crystal beach is crowded in spots and not in others. hoefully you are loucky enough to be in a place that is not so crowded.sand fleas will be easy to find on the beach. this will be your best bet as bait. i fish most every evening when am in tow. 2 hook rigs or carolina rig with 2 oz pyramid sinker. june grass can be horrible some days not so much others. fish early and late.i would shy away from cut bait as you will catch a ton of catfish and maybe some bluefish and lady fish. although ladyfish and bluefish can be fun to catch if you are just interested in something to pull. i would recommend renting a kayak and fishing overthe bar. i catch kings about 3/4 mile south of pompono joes every year at the time you are going to be there. just look for the bait schools.

i would not do anything over a 6 hour charter unless you are doing a rig trip. too much cost for too little return with the limits and seasons that are open.1500-2000 is way too much when Aj, snapper, gags are all closed.look into the grayton boats for charters will cost you about half what it will in destin and you will catch just as many fish on a 4 hour charter and your actual fishing time will be doubled because you will only ride about 15 minutes . Deadfishcharters, toodeadfish,not-a-dog, triggerhappy charters are all good ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Sea-r-cy- I am more interested in bank fishing the bay or possibly canoe. I will most definatley look into a party barge though. Is there anything to be caught from the beach side? Maybe at night? Also I will have 5 nieces on this trip that all expect uncle to show them how to catch crabs. Any suggestions? I have read a lot about chicken necks on a line as well as necks in a hoop net dropped from a pier. Are they worth the trouble?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ fishheadspin. Thanks for the advice! Ladyfish and bluefish? Looks like I need to do some more reading. I may set up some cut bait and take the kiddos out for some excitement.
Kings sound like fun though. What bait for kings? Live shrimp? I have seen alot of rigs that invlove 10-15lb test with 20lb leader. What are your thought on that?
Ill look into the 4-6 hour charters for sure. Looked at Graytons website. I like the small family ran business style.. Prob a more personable trip.
You said fish over the bar with a kayak. The bar? Sorry im not certain where that is. Your talking about the bay side correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts