Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to cut out our annual Keys trip and replace it with fly fishing trips to Colorado. As it stands now we will be flying in the 8th of July. I have heard good things about Silverthorne, CO and Vail. If anyone can point me in a direction of a goodcenteral location to fish from it would be awesome. As it stands now we don't know where we are staying. I have a great connection with Marriott so it might be where ever one of those are.I have heard the blue river goes off in July and it's onlt 10 miles from Vail. Also I want to do a few guided trips so a name of a guide would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Lots of good streams around the Pagosa Springs area. I don't know a whole lot about the trout fishing, although we have caught a few in the San Juan River there in town whenwe go up every year for elk season. Call these guys, they are very helpful:

<a href="http://www.skiandbowrack.com/">http://www.skiandbowrack.com/</a>

There is also a US Forrest Service officein town if you need maps and other information. There are several hotels but no Marriott.There arelots of campgrounds though.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Does this mean i can get that gate combo from ya!! Just kidding, i can't help with the Colorado trip, never been there. Too far from salt water!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Bullshark, check out this link.

<a href="http://www.coloradofishing.net/ft_whiteriver.htm">http://www.coloradofishing.net/ft_whiteriver.htm</a>

I hunt between Rifle and Meeker and the White river runs between them. I have not fished it but have talked to dozens of folks that have and to a person, they say it is a tremendous area. It may be further than you want to go as it's past the western slope. With this site you can glean some pretty good info on other areas as well. Hope it helps some.

Mark

·
Praedator
10,186 Posts
James, we try to head out to Breckenridge every other year or so. We love it out there. I have a family member that is a financial exec for Vail resorts. So we get a good deal when we take our skiing vacation out there. But I have never been there in the summer time. My cousin that lives there is real big into the outdoor sports like rafting, and fishing on the rivers over that way. I'll see what he has to say.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The Blue is good....and out of Basalt....the Frying pan below Ruedi resavoir..... there is a good fly shop or 2 right there in Basalt that may be able to help with a guide. well worth the drive from Silverthorne.... a few real good pools right at the dam and below.....catch and release for 2 miles below the dam.....and I have seen some monsters in there, during the winter ski trips:D.....it dumps into the roaring fork river that can be good too

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Basalt&state=CO&country=US&latitude=39.3689&longitude=-107.032204&geocode=CITY

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LITECATCH (12/05/2010)Does this mean i can get that gate combo from ya!! Just kidding, i can't help with the Colorado trip, never been there. Too far from salt water!! Good luck!!
Trav will be with me in Coloradoso unles his mother is down there that would be a good week to sneak on that island. But mama likes to go quite a bit. Put in at the marina with the naked indian chicks painted on the walls and its a 2 minute boat ride. My buddies have been killing the snook and tarpon in Miami over the last week or so and my uncle has been catching a bunch of Dolphin and AJ's between Homestead and Largo.

Jon hook it up!!!!!! Right now my sister in law can get us into the Vail Marriott for $100 a night which I think is a great price. How isSC going?

I have heard good things about the blue river and the pools you are talking about near the dam and that is 1 place we intend to hit. I read the White river is ok but can be hard to fish.

Thanks for all the help I will spend some time tomorrow going through the links. Porter/Devildog showed me the fly rod today hes building for meand i'm ready to go NOW!!!!! By the way it's wrapped in UM green and orange so it ghetto pimp.

A problem i'm running into is rental cars. A 2 door small car is $700 for 7 days over there. Does anyone know a site that offers better deals. $700 is absolutly crazy for a civic.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Best to you, hope you enjoy it as much as I have my two times there. Did most of my fishing around West Yellowstone. We only camped on those trips where I could fish.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bullshark,

New here....I was checking into the forum for the first time to get an idea of what the fishing's like around Orange Beach now. We'll be there in June for a week. Don't know if you're in the pensacola area?

I live in COand used to guide in Vail and fished all the rivers around there a lot. The caddis will just be starting to come off good when you get there. #18 & #20 elk hair dryswork great with a #22 midge pattern dropper.

Don't know if you have a boat but maybe we could help each other out?

I assume you're renting out of DIA? The way to get a much cheaper rate on rental car is to take a taxi to an off-site rental agency, about $40. Don't mention you came from DIA and your rate will be almost half for the same car. Definitely worth it for a week.

Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts