Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my first yak trip to p-cola this summer and struck out. I am going to come back down to visit my brother soon. I figured it was to cold to fish out front but it looks like you guys havent slowed down. Are yall just freezing through it??? If not what are a you wearing. Wet suits under your clothes???? how are you guys staying warm???? I'm thinking the water is cold enough to shrivel you up like a ken doll. :yes::yes:

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
I try to stay dry that's the first thing. Some guys have some good but rather expensive goretex pants and jackets. I wear thermals under my jeans when its really cold and some military issue goretex pants. I rolled in the surf launching in 60 degree water last year, but still went out and spent the day surprisingly comfortable, though wet.

Gloves, gaiters, knit caps, can all be lifesavers when its really cold.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Layers. I wear some thermal base layers, fleece or sweatshirt tops and have some fleece bottoms - all under water/wind resistant outerwear, like fishing pants, jackets, etc. It does not have to be expensive stuff, but I try to avoid cotton. Cotton doesn't insulate that well and won't dry very quickly. I don't think many folks use wetsuits. They insulate best when wet and will not keep out the wind. Not ideal.

·
Registered
947 Posts
There is some great stuff at NRS, but it can be pricey. But Santa brought me a pair of dry pants and a splash top from there a couple of years ago and that stuff works great in the winter. Waterproof, breathable and roomy enough to layer underneath. Everything they make is quality and geared for the paddler... http://www.nrsweb.com/

The new technical clothing - fleece, polypropelene, etc. - like Nike and Under Armor works well. Academy has the Magellan brand which is inexpensive and works great. Anything that sheds water and dries fast is your friend.

I keep a lightweight set of raingear stashed in the hull all the time for serious rain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replays men. I think I know how to gear up for the cold now. There is also a great video demo in the gckfa site for any one else interested in this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
lol im too used to this being florida, i just pick the days when its nice like yesterday and go and just be careful not to get too wet and be back before it gets too cold, scoping out good launching areas in the winter seems to be key so far. oh and scupper plugs are your friend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts