Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHERE WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO TRY AND SHOOT A COBIA THIS SPRING? THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR SPEARFISHING AND A COBIA IS HIGH ON MY LIST OF WHAT I WANNA SHOOT. ARE THERE SOME WRECKS BETTER THAN OTHERS? OR WHERE SHOULD I START? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

·
Praedator
10,010 Posts
I always see cobia on wrecks after the spring run. For some reason I never see them on wrecks in the spring time. But I have seen them on shallow and deep wrecks. I have seen them on the bottom and cruising on my safety stop. I have seen them following sharks and following turtles. What I am trying to say is that I have not noticed a place that holds them better than any other place. I have only shot two cobia so far though. I have seen a bit more that I could not get a shot on though. One was following about a 7 foot bull shark. I tried to follow and get a shot. But it never got in range. The shark would have probably had dinner before I would have got him in anyway.:doh

Clay has a video of one cobia that I shot underwater. That one got away though.:doh

Just be prepared to hold on for a real rodeo ride. They are very hard to stone. And they will fight like a rodeo bull when shot. A small one whooped my butt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had some luck in the spring run anchoring on shallow wrecks. Its a little bit of a waiting game but there are other species to shoot. They are curios fish and will often come in close once to check you out. In my experience if you miss that window of opportunity they usually dont give you another.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts