Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've never had access to a boat during the cobia run until this coming up season. What's the best way to target them if you don't have a tower to get that birds eye view?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Ive cobia fished in my boat for a few years without a tower...caught one and seen a bunch more...we normally ride close to the bar and get 2 on the bow and one drivin...and if its calm enough you can stand on the leaningpost/seats.

·
Registered
624 Posts
that is how we fish for them in Va we anchor up. buy a 50lb flat of menhaden chum 2 tld25 on bottom w/cut baitcarolina riged same w 2 more 25s only w/ live eels and tld 15 on top baloon riged with live eel we kill them up there like that. probally would work well here as well.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Get yourself a 12' ladder and strap it too the bow too give ya that birds eye view. Just kiddin but not really. You'll see many crazy set-ups during the spring run and that's just one:banghead Chumming works very well but that all depends on the winds and currents so keep an eye on the weather forecast before heading out too give it a try. Other than that,fishing inside the bars they are very easily seen. Also keep a look out for sunfish and turtles.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
bonita dan (12/25/2007)Get yourself a 12' ladder and strap it too the bow too give ya that birds eye view. Just kiddin but not really.
I actually saw this very setup on a small boat out of Destin last year! No joke. :)

We don't have a tower - one of us will stand up on the sides or bow and look. Other times we anchor and fish for them onnearshore bottomwreckswith live bait. Chumming works too.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
reelfinatical (12/25/2007)
bonita dan (12/25/2007)Get yourself a 12' ladder and strap it too the bow too give ya that birds eye view. Just kiddin but not really.
I actually saw this very setup on a small boat out of Destin last year! No joke. :)

quote]

Weren'tme

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Looks perfectly safe to me,Brilliant!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many oldtimers, including my grandfather, dad, uncles, etc., used ladders/chumming just outside the pass with great success. Granted this was before all the boat traffic andinconsideratecaptains that we're plagued with now days. Obviously, it's only safe if you take the time to secure it properly and to secure yourself as well.

Gig

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Don't forget about them oil rigs too. This past late spring early summer we were king/snapper fishing and had a nice one come rolling by, just behind him a crew boat heading straight for the same rig, pretty much blowing our chances of hookin up with it, but owell them boys got money to be making.

·
Super Moderator
12,785 Posts
i caught one last year out of a 22' skiff off the poling platform so i guess anything is possible.... hell we saw 5 more too.:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
we have seen tons of cobes from my boat with no tower. i am usually driving and two of the guys will stand on each gunwale while holding on to the t-top. we haven't hooked up yet, but have thrown on quite a few.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts