Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im wanting to get into cobia fishing from my kayak. do you guys have have any tips or tricks for me? never done it before so any help will go a long way.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I have learned to keep a flat line out. Just a leader tied to your main line with no weight. Hook a pinfish on and cast him out. I have caught many ling this way while bottom fishing. In a yak always keep a flat line out. As for sight fishing for them a good pair of sunglasses is the best tool. Always keep a line baited so if you see a ling you can throw right there. I am not big on jigs or artificials. I was raised on live bait and it has always worked for me. You never know where they will be. One day you wont see any and the next you might see them one after another.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
Yes. My experience is coming from our trips offshore in the V20. But the principle is the same. The flatline usually produces excitement onboard and I do not think it will be any different on a kayak

·
Registered
870 Posts
To the OP, I don't think there is really a whole lot special you can do for them outside of keeping a throw bait/ lure ready and keeping your eyes out. As said, keep a free lined bait out if you are bottom fishing. Most are caught sight fishing and sight fishing from a kayak is not the easiest.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
Your bait goes where it wants to go but they usually stay at the surface. When bottom fishing most do not think to fish the top. Y'all will call bs but I caught a 97lb Amberjack on a freelined snapper head on wire leader. We were trying to catch Cudas that were cutting fish off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
kayak kobe

I am determined to get one too, freelined blue crabs and pins last year. Sea state always an issue in April...end up surfing more than fishing. My big question is what to do when you catch one? Walk it in or devise a lip hook with snap link on a rope?

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
That is a good question. It would be tiring trying to paddle or pedal in with the fish in the water. I imagine the best choice is to whack it on the head with a fish bat and put it in the yak. We brought a few green ling into the boat and its no fun. I always ended up on the outboard while everybody else was on the cuddy. If you hook one on a yak be ready to clean the deck off and head in. They can tear some stuff up. Y'all got me ready to get in on the action when it gets here. Depending on your hull you could possibly put him inside the storage area. How did you do free lining?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use a head shot with a Hawaiian spear gaff to dispatch them, but only after they're worn down. I'm talking about kings here, I haven't caught a cobia yet. It's on my "to do" list.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use a safety pin gaff. Up thru the gills and locked. Then he is not going anywhere. I can lift his head out of the water until dead or out cold then into the fish bag. You could do the same with a normal gaff but he could shake off.

·
Mines Bigger
2,645 Posts
if you stick a cobia or expect it to die fast from being out of the water you're in for a suprise. Knocking it out is the way to go, buy a small metal bat and hit it in the head as hard as you can. Wouldn't want to wrestle a big one out of a kayak untill it was limp that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Small squirt bottle of cheap vodka and spray up in the gills. Over in a sec...
That's a great idea.

The problem is getting them under control. I lost one last year because I had no gaff. Tried to flip it up in the yak. That didn't work. Then I tried lipping it. That hurt like a mother! He ended up pulling the hook after having it yak side for at least five minutes.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I like to anchor up close to the sandbar and put out a chum slick. A live bait on top and one on bottom. Ling love some chum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts