I use a 7/0 Mustad Demon Circle hook.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
6/0-7/0 Mutu Light Circle

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would be afraid to bend a mutu light. Ive used the SSW circle hookand caught fish but i would much rather have a treble where no matter what direction he is heading you can light him up.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Freespool (2/23/2010)I would be afraid to bend a mutu light. Ive used the SSW circle hookand caught fish but i would much rather have a treble where no matter what direction he is heading you can light him up.
I used to think the same about the mutu lite's but it is now my go to hook for almost everything. Its particularly my favorite for live baiting and chunking yellowfin and I've caughtmany triple digit fishonthem using up to 30lbs of drag and haven't straightened one yet.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Usually just a 6-8 inch grub or plastic eel trailer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to think the same about the mutu lite's but it is now my go to hook for almost everything. Its particularly my favorite for live baiting and chunking yellowfin and I've caughtmany triple digit fishonthem using up to 30lbs of drag and haven't straightened one yet.

Tunapopper,

I am a little surprised by your response. I used to use Owner mutu lite's for almost everything (especially live bait) and have stopped after having bent hooks on 40ish pound AJ's while using relatively light reels set with less than 20lbs drag. I really liked those hooks but just don't trust them anymore. I have caught 150+ tarpon with them but always on very light tackle. Now that I am fishing heavier stuff I have just about eliminated them from my tackle supply. I am looking forward to some tuna trips this spring and can see how those hooks would be great for chunking but I would be really nervous about a 50lb plus tuna turning it into a toothpick. Do you use the Owner hooks or some other brand?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts