Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the unreasonably cold weather, we are having, going to cause the migration to start later than normal?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I couldn't disagree more...it is all about water temperature. It will be a late start to the season - still sticking with March 19. However, cold winters stack the fish up to the south and so they may come through in large waves in April....April could be a great month this year for numbers of fish seen and caught.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cobias dont have a calender to check.. They are strictly following the warm water.. You wont see them in our waters until it hits 62..

All we need is warm sunny days and south winds!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
When you see the dogwood trees bloom with white flowers around pensacola you can get serious about cobia fishing.try it -you'll like it.

mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
yep.. keep an eye out on those dogwoods.. Also the pollen is starting to fall.. Another good sign of things to come..

Hope we all have a great cobia season!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
atlantacapt (2/25/2010)I couldn't disagree more...it is all about water temperature. It will be a late start to the season - still sticking with March 19. However, cold winters stack the fish up to the south and so they may come through in large waves in April....April could be a great month this year for numbers of fish seen and caught.

+1 on that Atlantacapt. This has been my thinking as well with the colder cold fronts we have had this year. We had similar conditions back in the early 90's If I remember right and they came in (at least in Destin) a little later in march and in pods of dozens all at once! I'm ready...come on 64 degrees.

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
The water temp, The pecan trees buding, and the Dogwood trees blooming means the cobes are running.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ben Fairey has forgotten about more cobia than most of us will ever catch, I would be inclined to believe him! But, does anyone really know? That's why they call it fishin'!

·
Registered
13 Posts
can't get any better advice than that, watch the dogwoods and watch for the wind to come out of the southeast, pushes them up on the beach nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts