Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you were to pick out a reel to put on a custom mhx rod which one would you choose? Bail or bailless either one

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a bailless reel for sure. It has more advantages over a bailed reel. It will be weird at first but once you get used to it, you will LOVE it.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Get a bailless reel for sure. It has more advantages over a bailed reel. It will be weird at first but once you get used to it, you will LOVE it.
Here we go again haha

I am kinda in your same spot about to have a rod built and I am kind torn between the saragosa 10000 or the Penn torque 7 I know they are a good bit difference in price but those are two I am looking at will most likely end up with the saragosa

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely would like a bailless setup up but what options are out there that won't kill the bank? I know abt converting a 704 into one but are there any other reels?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here we go again haha

I am kinda in your same spot about to have a rod built and I am kind torn between the saragosa 10000 or the Penn torque 7 I know they are a good bit difference in price but those are two I am looking at will most likely end up with the saragosa
both of those reels are extremely overkill for kings and cobia, especially the torque 7, youll wear yourself out in 15 minutes

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
both of those reels are extremely overkill for kings and cobia, especially the torque 7, youll wear yourself out in 15 minutes
Should have stated that they will be used for offshore fishing while not cobia fishing pretty often too but obviously not on the same rod have a couple jigging rods but not sure how those reels will wear me out in 15 minutes cobia fishing?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Should have stated that they will be used for offshore fishing while not cobia fishing pretty often too but obviously not on the same rod have a couple jigging rods but not sure how those reels will wear me out in 15 minutes cobia fishing?

the 15 minute comment was geared towards king fishing, constantly casting. I own both reels, the torque 7 is just a winch and the only time ive ever tested it is large grouper in skinny water, but I mean it is HEAVY, the saragosa is wobbly as all hell and I feel the drag is overstated. but I suppose if they are multiple use reels you can make it work...still thinking about jigging with a 7 for any amount of time makes my arm hurt. id opt for a stella

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
You can get a 302, 706, when the next latest and greatest video game system comes out a cheap van staal. You'll see a lot of 706's they're good reals and hold up fairly well with braided line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
If your fishing inshore and the pier and spinfisher will be just fine. No need to buy a $500-$1000 spinning reel to throw cigs off a dock.

Now if your going Grayton beach style cobia fishing, a van staal VM150, torque 5 or a newly put on sale VS150-200 would suit you well. But I don't see many skishers and ladder fishermen on here.

·
Registered
905 Posts
go with the 706z. wait till outcast has their sell in march. got one last year and could not be more happy with it.

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
I'll sit for pompano on the edge of the first bar. Haven't seen a cobe yet but you can count on seeing them in the draw just gotta put in your time. I use my vs100 for pomps and vs250 for cobes

I do not enjoy set rigs, I'm to impatient and get drunk a lot faster... Sightfishing is how I was raised so ladder fishing or beach walking is what I'll do.

This year I'll be throwing flies at pomps, but I'll always have a cobe stick with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
I've only seen people do that in destin and Grayton beach. Good use of a van staal. Still won't recommns one for pier use. Just too much money and there's other reels out there with smoother drags.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts