Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kenneth
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone target cobia from the kayak? Anyone relatively successful? Since it's hard to sight fish them on a kayak, especially on rougher days, is there a good drifting/trolling set up that works. I thought about controlled drifting/slow trolling with an eel free lined, or maybe a halved blue crab. I'd really like to catch one this year, and I could charter a boat but I'd be much more proud of the catch if I could do it in a kayak. I've also heard they're a handful to handle in the boat, will a fish bat take care of one pretty well?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Does anyone target cobia from the kayak? Anyone relatively successful? Since it's hard to sight fish them on a kayak, especially on rougher days, is there a good drifting/trolling set up that works. I thought about controlled drifting/slow trolling with an eel free lined, or maybe a halved blue crab. I'd really like to catch one this year, and I could charter a boat but I'd be much more proud of the catch if I could do it in a kayak. I've also heard they're a handful to handle in the boat, will a fish bat take care of one pretty well?
We all do, lol just some more successfully than others! Check out previous threads in this subject.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
First fish I ever caught on my yak was a 36" Cobia. I was trolling a pinfish for Kings. And it was in the fall, no less.

They're not as big a deal to handle in the yak as a big king or small shark.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
First fish I ever caught on my yak was a 36" Cobia. I was trolling a pinfish for Kings. And it was in the fall, no less.

They're not as big a deal to handle in the yak as a big king or small shark.
Id MUCH rather have a 30lb king in my yak than a 30lb cobia! After nearly getting my rear end beat by a 60+ lb cobia in my kayak only for it to flop out and break off I learned my lesson. Dont bring one on board unless you know for SURE its dead!

As for targeting there are ways in the yak other than sight fishing. They arent always free swimming.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Id like to add, that big fish was caught on the troll and frankly most yak cobia are caught on the troll.

I wouldnt troll an eel though, that gets EXPENSIVE with mackerel around!

I know of one guy that likes to anchor and chum for them. Well until that monster mako showed up in his chum slick! Remember cobia season IS mako season, if you havnt come up on a big mako in a yak, yeah, have fun with that.

Me and Ginzu got on a solid 9-10ft mako last year that circled us and did mock charges at us for about 5 minutes. It was the only time Ive ever actually been scared of a wild animal in my life.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't mean to ask a possible stupid question as I usually gaff them and one up them into a fish box on my boat. How about shooting them with a pistol? I know they go nuts on boats can't imagine a yak. Do u guys just beat them with a bat??

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I haven't targeted them in a while from the yak but you certainly can to a degree. I used to drift and chum for them as well as troll. Me and a friend of mine used to go often and we caught 11 in one trip. My biggest was 52lbs. You're going to get a lot of interference with Macks and sharks. That's just part of it.

Always keep a jig, topwater, etc tied on to throw at them. They will often come up to the kayak to check it out. Wear them out THOROUGHLY!!! I will back the drag off and let them tire longer. Don't bring them into the yak immediately after gaffing/spearing, as that is asking to have your ass whooped. I usually peg them to the side of the yak and beat them with my fish bat/gaff.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Id like to add, that big fish was caught on the troll and frankly most yak cobia are caught on the troll.

I wouldnt troll an eel though, that gets EXPENSIVE with mackerel around!

I know of one guy that likes to anchor and chum for them. Well until that monster mako showed up in his chum slick! Remember cobia season IS mako season, if you havnt come up on a big mako in a yak, yeah, have fun with that.

Me and Ginzu got on a solid 9-10ft mako last year that circled us and did mock charges at us for about 5 minutes. It was the only time Ive ever actually been scared of a wild animal in my life.
I was wondering about Ginzu. Haven't seen many posts lately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts