Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in trying my hand at getting a cobia on a fly this spring, but have no idea as to good flies to use.

I’ve heard they will hit an old sneaker if they are feeding hard, but I’m pretty sure a fly would be easier to throw than a shoe.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I Usually throw both squid and eel imitations at them. Last year I had good luck with the game changer pattern but it throws like a wet sock lol. They aren’t terribly picky so most bigger patterns will work on them. You definitely want a decent sized profile.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Take a look at some of the larger salmon flies. Most of them are like larger clousers and have a stinger hook which is attached by a wire leader to the back of the main hook. An articulated body would make it look more like an eel which cobia love !

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Both big squid patterns and big mylar tube flies worked for me. Half the time when I threw a rabbit strip eel, the strip would mess up...but when it didn't, damn it looked good in the water.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Make one that looks like a small blue crab about the size of a silver dollar or smaller....Most cobia I used to catch were full of crab.....

·
Fish assassin
144 Posts
Take a look at some of the larger salmon flies. Most of them are like larger clousers and have a stinger hook which is attached by a wire leader to the back of the main hook. An articulated body would make it look more like an eel which cobia love !

Generally on dacron or something like that, rather than wire.

The salmon flies we use in Alaska are mostly variations on articulated bunny leeches. Basically a strip of rabbit, a loop for a stinger hook, a palmered rabbit collar, some flash, and dumbell eyes. Simple as can be. Tie that in black and it'll look and act like a smaller eel.

Alternately, I imagine they'd eat an EP Baitfish type fly. Big profile and carries no water.

·
Fish assassin
144 Posts
Both big squid patterns and big mylar tube flies worked for me. Half the time when I threw a rabbit strip eel, the strip would mess up...but when it didn't, damn it looked good in the water.

Was the tail fouling under the hook point? Tie it with the hook on a loop of dacron. Then break off the hook you tied the fly on. Then there's no forward hook to foul on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts