Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the surf is perfect for thursday morning from early morning til around noon to 1 pm for launch and return. I'm thinking PortoFino small parking lot just before the really big one going east. Great place to launch there because the way the surf breaks. Makes for easy launch and return. They have been catching Cobia on Pcp, Oip and PP. So the Cobia would be just as available at Porto as anywhere. I can only fish in the morning and have to go to work at some point in the early part of the day. Looking for company. Any takers? Maybe the first kayak caught Cobia of the year?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ScullsMcNasty (3/30/2010)how are you planning on fishing for them.. you just gonna chum? i might be able to fish midday but i dont know how early
Planned on just trolling from west to east and then back to the west along the outer bar. Dragging some topwater and midwater lures, spiked with scent or a little taste of something. Wind 5 to 8 mph out of the SE at some point in the morning. Tide coming in all morning also. Full moon, ideal conditions for possible action. Someone is going to catch the first one off a kayak and it won't happen unless they get out there and try. Temps are rising and the cobia look like they are going to be showing up more and more. You have to take your opportunities when available and when some others are around so you are not fishing alone out there.

You could anchor or drift in a chum line. Or throw out some fads. Balloon fish with a live bait.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Farmer (3/30/2010)I am a maybe! Cobia would be great but what else is a possibility? Pompano? Too early for kings?
Not sure on what else there could be. If there is no surf, maybe not much for pompano. I was just going to hit it and if not productive, in a few hours go on down to pickens and go after some sheephead. If you show up Farmer, will help you get your yak over the wall. Not all that hard actually where I do it at.

The lot to put in at is the one you put in at the first time you ever showed up at Portofino. I just figured to go ahead and give it shot. Big if and maybe on what could happen. But just gonna try anyway. Didn't read on Tex's blog on what to do, to catch the first possible cobia of the season from a yak?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Bonsaifishrman (3/30/2010)
Farmer (3/30/2010)I am a maybe! Cobia would be great but what else is a possibility? Pompano? Too early for kings?
Not sure on what else there could be. If there is no surf, maybe not much for pompano. I was just going to hit it and if not productive, in a few hours go on down to pickens and go after some sheephead. If you show up Farmer, will help you get your yak over the wall. Not all that hard actually where I do it at.

The lot to put in at is the one you put in at the first time you ever showed up at Portofino. I just figured to go ahead and give it shot. Big if and maybe on what could happen. But just gonna try anyway. Didn't read on Tex's blog on what to do, to catch the first possible cobia of the season from a yak?
Yea I dont know what to do...Ive never caught one from a yak in April. I was seriously debating skipping work Thursday morning to try over in Destin. Thursday is def. a great oppurtunity with calm surf tide and moon. If only the bait was on the beach it would be perfect to troll livies while keeping your eyes peeled on the bar. If the weather was more forgiving I wouldnt have to go on the boat and pier so much. About 2 weeks from now until early May will be primetime!But your odds Thursday will be the best since June 2009 for sure!Also I wouldnt give up after a few hours if it looks good. You are only fishing for one fish to make the trip so at any moment your season could be made...the more time out there the better your chances. Good Luck!:letsparty Post a report!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Tex for the input. I was thinking of threading a short cigar length7 strand though a last years cigar minnow to a single treble right out the butt. Tie it straight to the line. No leader, just a cig. This way it is light weight and stays high on the water and has smell. Or use some Bee Cigs from Wallymart. They just got a load of fresh stuff in. They look fresh actually. Think this could be the swimming bait with smell. No skirt, just a swivel and 7 strand. If there are some bluefish or an early spanish, I can take the hit from one of them and possible bring it in without loss of tackle. The water is looking pretty clear from the beach cam Iam using.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
No real prep work needed. Take a J hook and hook em through the eye socket then i put a stinger treble hooker about 2/3 of the way down his back. Eel skin is rediculously tough so theres no real reason for concern on tearing out the hooks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good for slinging at a cobia, but not necessarily for trolling. I just can envision an eel wanting to lay out flat for a kayak speed type trolling and not twist up my line in a matter of minutes. I am trying to figure out how to use strips of orange appeal to do the same thing. 6:13 am and a trout has my name on it, so am off to a the nearest bayou to see if it will cooperate.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I'll be at Navarre tomorrow around 10-ish :letsparty ... after COBIA and that is all !! ... see you guys out there :letsdrink

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not driving down that far. Cobia are moving and not necessarily stacking up. I will go down there later for kings because they do tend to stack up around there along with some other species as attested by last years catch. Just looking to hooking a first migrant passing through.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Bonsaifishrman (3/31/2010)Not driving down that far. Cobia are moving and not necessarily stacking up. I will go down there later for kings because they do tend to stack up around there along with some other species as attested by last years catch. Just looking to hooking a first migrant passing through.
I KNOW they aren't stacking up there , BUT , there IS a Pier there (2) , which IS a structure that ALL Fish will be attracted to ... plus the Pier ISN'T Open yet , so no hassles with folks ON the Pier ... lastly , I have caught MANY Cobia off Navarre in the past , worth the extra few minutes to me , and the water is SO clear there :letsparty ... report to follow :letsdrink

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone kayak fishing for cobia Friday or Saturday?

I'll be at my place near Perdido Key for the weekend and was looking for someone to tag along with if the offshore conditions are right.

Any cobia sightings in the Johnson Beach area? If I can't find anyone to hook up with, I'm going to try that area if the conditions permit.

Thanks,

Chris (Where Y'ak?)

[email protected]

Chris Holmes

New Orleans, La

Member Hobie Fishing Team

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pourman1 (3/31/2010)
Bonsaifishrman (3/31/2010)Not driving down that far. Cobia are moving and not necessarily stacking up. I will go down there later for kings because they do tend to stack up around there along with some other species as attested by last years catch. Just looking to hooking a first migrant passing through.
I KNOW they aren't stacking up there , BUT , there IS a Pier there (2) , which IS a structure that ALL Fish will be attracted to ... plus the Pier ISN'T Open yet , so no hassles with folks ON the Pier ... lastly , I have caught MANY Cobia off Navarre in the past , worth the extra few minutes to me , and the water is SO clear there :letsparty ... report to follow :letsdrink
water vis is definately better over there

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Pourman1 (3/31/2010)
My vote would be Navarre as well. That place is the fishiest place on the panhandle in the morning before the boat traffic. Pourman have you got a cobia off of a yak in cobia season? Would love to hear how you got him!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts