Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've asked a couple questions about cobia fishing before but I wanted to put it in one thread so if any other beginners have the same questions they might be able to find it easier. Anyways, I started off fishing for reds in the bayou and soon moved to fishing for them in the bay, then moved to fishing for bigger game in the Gulf such as kingfish and mahi mahi. In the few years that I've been fishing in the gulf I've sightfished cobia a couple times before, but this year I wanted to get a bit more serious about it and purchase some tackle specifically for cobia. With the Outcast sale coming up I want to know what type of rod should I get? I have a 706 and was looking to put that on a cobia rod but don't know what to look for in one. I want to try and get something over the counter like one of the Outcast tournament series rods because custom rods seem way too pricy and I'm not sure what I want. Next, where should I be looking for cobia? I've always seen them 5-10 miles off the beach during the spring and summer but all the videos I've seen people are only a couple hundred yards from the beach. Anyways I'd just like as much help as possible to start off cobia fishing. I'm not asking for spots or anything just some tips for a beginner. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Oh, dear. What if an alcoholic never took his first drink....?

You will need a rod with more backbone than your typical king rod. For boat fishing, an 8 footer will be about right. 25 pound mono or 50 pound braid. Your favorite color jig is perfect. Eventually, you will want a 1/0, 4X strong treble hook rigged as a stinger hook. You will want this after you lose the biggest cobia you've ever hooked and lost.

Have live bait and have a variety; eels, mullet, mingos, catfish, etc.

Get high! Yeah, that too. Get a tower with controls if possible. If you get a tower, rig something on it to get you another foot higher. Amber-lensed polarized sunglasses. Dark underside on the bill of your cap.
Search anywhere from ankle-deep water (I'm serious) to a mile offshore. Go slow headed east and faster going west (6+mph).

Well, that pretty much covers everything (ahem).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, dear. What if an alcoholic never took his first drink....?

You will need a rod with more backbone than your typical king rod. For boat fishing, an 8 footer will be about right. 25 pound mono or 50 pound braid. Your favorite color jig is perfect. Eventually, you will want a 1/0, 4X strong treble hook rigged as a stinger hook. You will want this after you lose the biggest cobia you've ever hooked and lost.

Have live bait and have a variety; eels, mullet, mingos, catfish, etc.

Get high! Yeah, that too. Get a tower with controls if possible. If you get a tower, rig something on it to get you another foot higher. Amber-lensed polarized sunglasses. Dark underside on the bill of your cap.
Search anywhere from ankle-deep water (I'm serious) to a mile offshore. Go slow headed east and faster going west (6+mph).

Well, that pretty much covers everything (ahem).
Thanks a lot for all that information. I talked with the guys at Outcast and they won't have any of their cobia rods till the end of this month so some of them won't be on sale. My friend loves his outcast rod so when they get them I'll probably pick one up. We're getting a new boat soon and hopefully can get a cobia tower on it by next year. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Removable Crow's nest...yes. It's no longer worth having a tower with controls just for Cobia. Don't forget to look around the entrance bouys and the Mass. Cobia like structure to take a break.

I was watching a video of guys Cobia fishing the outer Banks the other day. They were seeing fish, but had very few hits. They were jerking the jigs with a sideways jerk. You want to use an up and down motion while working the jig. I'll often put one of the 6" curly tails on the jig to add more appealing motion to the jig, especially if the Cobia goes deep, because even sinking, that curly tail is doing it's thing.

A south Florida trick in shallow water. If you see a big stingray on the bottom, toss a jig close to it. Cobia will literally piggyback big stingrays and blend in with the ray.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removable Crow's nest...yes. It's no longer worth having a tower with controls just for Cobia. Don't forget to look around the entrance bouys and the Mass. Cobia like structure to take a break.

I was watching a video of guys Cobia fishing the outer Banks the other day. They were seeing fish, but had very few hits. They were jerking the jigs with a sideways jerk. You want to use an up and down motion while working the jig. I'll often put one of the 6" curly tails on the jig to add more appealing motion to the jig, especially if the Cobia goes deep, because even sinking, that curly tail is doing it's thing.

A south Florida trick in shallow water. If you see a big stingray on the bottom, toss a jig close to it. Cobia will literally piggyback big stingrays and blend in with the ray.
Where would I get a removable crows nest? I saw a video of someone talking about cobia jigs and theres had a curly tail on it but I couldn't find the jig. I've heard lots about the ding a ling jig and I know Frank Helton is dead but does his son still make jigs, if so where could I get them?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Where would I get a removable crows nest? I saw a video of someone talking about cobia jigs and theres had a curly tail on it but I couldn't find the jig. I've heard lots about the ding a ling jig and I know Frank Helton is dead but does his son still make jigs, if so where could I get them?
Any place that can fabricate a tower can Fab a Crow's nest. Every tackle shop right now has Cobia jigs in stock. The curley tails are an add on...I got mine off eBay.

Jig color is individual taste.

Reactions: SurfRidr

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any place that can fabricate a tower can Fab a Crow's nest. Every tackle shop right now has Cobia jigs in stock. The curley tails are an add on...I got mine off eBay.

Jig color is individual taste.
Yeah Im hoping Outcast will have some at their sale. I might not be able to get there until 3 or 4 thursday so hopefully they dont sell out.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Adding scent to a lure will increase its effectiveness. We were having a lot of follows without a take and eventually the cobia would see the boat and spook. I had some kind of bass fishing scent in my tackle bag and squirted it on my lure. Next cobia fell in behind my lure, got a whiff of something edible, and hammered my lure. Lots of others did the same.

While I'm on followers, if you see a tubber, don't throw an artificial because she might follow it to the boat without taking. Feed her a live bait. the live bait will work its magic out there instead of bringing her to the boat to spook.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i have zero advise on how to catch a cobia, but when you do catch one, search Wades smoked tuna dip in the recipie section! Substitute cobia for the tuna! and yes I bought mine at joe pattis! Lol

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Adding scent to a lure will increase its effectiveness. We were having a lot of follows without a take and eventually the cobia would see the boat and spook. I had some kind of bass fishing scent in my tackle bag and squirted it on my lure. Next cobia fell in behind my lure, got a whiff of something edible, and hammered my lure. Lots of others did the same.

While I'm on followers, if you see a tubber, don't throw an artificial because she might follow it to the boat without taking. Feed her a live bait. the live bait will work its magic out there instead of bringing her to the boat to spook.
Pier rats will add a squid head on the jig hook a lot of times.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
{quote]Removable Crow's nest...yes. It's no longer worth having a tower with controls just for Cobia.[/quote]

I would Totally disagree with this....Why?

Because a "Removable" unit will not have controls..... What are you going to do with all the controls?
If your talking just a Belly band for someone to look from? Then that is removable.....BUT...In my eyes it's useless....You have to have controls so who ever is steering has the same line of sight as the fisherman and can position the boat correctly. Steering from below....usually results in run over and or spooked fish.

No a full folding crows nest with controls is Not cheap...It's the price of admission.

Steering from above....Is also much easier to see when around docks and easier to load on the trailer.

One more thing about Cobia fishing....You have to put in the time.....A LOT of time! Chapstick is a must that people don't think about.....You go from bundled up to stripped down to shorts and T shirt.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Question, what about installing autopilot and controling from a tablet from above?

Reactions: HueJass

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
{quote]Removable Crow's nest...yes. It's no longer worth having a tower with controls just for Cobia.
I would Totally disagree with this....Why?

Because a "Removable" unit will not have controls..... What are you going to do with all the controls?
If your talking just a Belly band for someone to look from? Then that is removable.....BUT...In my eyes it's useless....You have to have controls so who ever is steering has the same line of sight as the fisherman and can position the boat correctly. Steering from below....usually results in run over and or spooked fish.

No a full folding crows nest with controls is Not cheap...It's the price of admission.

Steering from above....Is also much easier to see when around docks and easier to load on the trailer.

One more thing about Cobia fishing....You have to put in the time.....A LOT of time! Chapstick is a must that people don't think about.....You go from bundled up to stripped down to shorts and T shirt.
[/QUOTE]
We fished successfully for years with just a crow's nest for years...no controls. Unless the boat is going to be used extensively offshore for other species, it's not worth the price of a full tower with controls for chasing what few cobia there are anymore. It's not hard to direct the guy on the helm from the platform.

·
Registered
385 Posts
nobody has talked about what to do AFTER you hook a big cobia...1. be prepared for a fight. I "accidentally" hooked a 60lb cobia on trout gear (20lb test) and with an inexperienced angler on board. Needless to say, we were two strikes behind, not to mention a cheap gaff which was shaped more like an "L" than a "J" on the hook end. We lost it after an hour fight and 5 times at the gaff.
2. live bait...I always have a piggy perch or other live bait rigged and in the livewell in case mr. cobia comes beside the boat. They're very curious, so if you're fishing for snapper or other bottom fish, you'll see them come investigate a lot of times. 3. have a bat ready when you get them to the boat to quickly subdue them. A big cobia can break tackle and put a hurting on you if you're not careful. 3b. have a crewmember have the fishbox ready to open when you get them into the boat. This lessons the chance that the cobia will beat you and your tackle up. 4. take pictures AFTER he's thoroughly subdued...again, see 3b.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Search anywhere from ankle-deep water.

This is absolutely true. We caught one once less than five feet from where the waves were breaking onto the beach. It was a fairly calm day.

I hope they come back strong some day. Sight fishing Cobia is one of my favorite days on the water. Nothing like it.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,305 Posts
First a tower without controls is a pain. Yes you can see them but you have to yell down to the person below on which way to go. Look at my avatar. It doesn’t work well on a bigger boat. My boat now has a hard top with a tower for 3 people with controls. The tower is made to fold down. The controls are electronic.

With the lack of Cobia over the last few years we quit looking for them.

Go east as far as you can at daylight them look slowly going back west with your sun at your back. If there are a lot of boats head out deep and fish the wrecks.

You don‘t need a $300.00 rod. Outcast used to have a foam gripped rod for much less. You can get a rod at the big box stores that are just as good. Get what you can afford and have a great time. You will find them in the strangest places. My friend caught one 30 miles out last winter.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Search anywhere from ankle-deep water.

This is absolutely true. We caught one once less than five feet from where the waves were breaking onto the beach. It was a fairly calm day.

I hope they come back strong some day. Sight fishing Cobia is one of my favorite days on the water. Nothing like it.
Back when Steve had the wooden Pier just east of the present one, it started lightning, so we all head d to the shack ( bad for my waistline and wallet because old Ben had just finished making his GOAT shishkabobs) when the lightning quit, we started back out. There were 3 nice Cobia moving in and out, right where the waves break on the beach itself. The young guys sprinted out to the end, grabbed their ling rods and sprinted back. I walked out to the end and picked up my ling rod and started looking from the tee inwards.

While the young guys were staring up and down the beach right at shoreline, all 3 cobes popped out from under the tee. Caught the smallest one...38 pounds.

When Hwy 98 at Destin used to run right down the beach, we used to ease down the shoulder, one guy in the back of the truck hanging on to the roll bar and spot Cobia running right on the beach. Stop the truck, grab the rods out of the back, run down to the beach and throw at them.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
First a tower without controls is a pain. Yes you can see them but you have to yell down to the person below on which way to go. Look at my avatar. It doesn’t work well on a bigger boat. My boat now has a hard top with a tower for 3 people with controls. The tower is made to fold down. The controls are electronic.

With the lack of Cobia over the last few years we quit looking for them.

Go east as far as you can at daylight them look slowly going back west with your sun at your back. If there are a lot of boats head out deep and fish the wrecks.

You don‘t need a $300.00 rod. Outcast used to have a foam gripped rod for much less. You can get a rod at the big box stores that are just as good. Get what you can afford and have a great time. You will find them in the strangest places. My friend caught one 30 miles out last winter.
Keith, with the Cobia numbers being as low as they are now, would you spend all that extra money to rig a boat with a full tower just to chase a handful of Cobia? Hell, a drone can be used to spot them now, without adding weight to the boat or worrying if you are going to clear the overhead at gas stations or bridges.

I suggested the OP check BassPro or HalfHitch. Both carry excellent Cobia rods under their name for $129.

Reactions: HueJass

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,305 Posts
I have a drone too and will be selling it.

My comment on the tower was a general statement. Not really meant for him. Towers now are made to fold down just like mine. We use it now blue water trolling.

The rods you recommended are just right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts