Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p nodeIndex="1">From Fox News:</p><p nodeIndex="1">ROBERT, La. -- With BP finally gaining some control over the amount of oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico, scientists are increasingly worried that huge plumes of crude already spilled could get caught in a current that would carry the mess all the way to the Florida Keys and beyond, damaging coral reefs and killing wildlife.</p><p nodeIndex="2">Scientists said the oil will move into the so-called loop current soon if it hasn't already, though they could not say exactly when or how much there would be. Once it is in the loop, it could take 10 days or longer to reach the Keys.</p><p nodeIndex="3">"It's only a question of when," said Peter Ortner, a University of Miami oceanographer.</p><p nodeIndex="4">The U.S. Coast Guard reported that 20 tar balls were found off Key West on Monday, but said a lab analysis would have to determine their origin. The Florida Park Service during a shoreline survey found the balls that were about 3-to-8 inches in diameter.</p><p nodeIndex="5">In the month since an offshore drilling platform exploded, killing 11 workers, BP has struggled to stop the leak, trying in vain to activate emergency valves and lowering a 100-ton box that got clogged with icy crystals. Over the weekend, the oil company finally succeeded in using a stopper-and-tube combination to siphon some of the gushing oil into a tanker, but millions of gallons are already in the Gulf.</p><p nodeIndex="6">The loop current is a ribbon of warm water that begins in the Gulf of Mexico and wraps around Florida. Some scientists project the current will draw the crude through the Keys and then up Florida's Atlantic Coast, where the oil might avoid the beaches of Miami and Fort Lauderdale but could wash up around Palm Beach.</p><p nodeIndex="7">Many scientists expect the oil to get no farther north than Cape Canaveral, midway up the coast, before it is carried out to sea and becomes more and more diluted.</p><p nodeIndex="8">The pollution could endanger Florida's shoreline mangroves, seagrass beds and the third-longest barrier reef in the world, the 221-mile-long Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, which helps draw millions of snorkelers, fishermen and other tourists whose dollars are vital to the state's economy.</p><p nodeIndex="9">Pollutants can smother and kill corals -- living creatures that excrete a hard exterior skeleton -- or can hinder their ability to reproduce and grow. That, in turn, could harm thousands of species of exotic and colorful fish and other marine life that live in and around reefs.</p><p nodeIndex="10">In other developments:</p><p nodeIndex="11">-- Chris Oynes, who oversees offshore drilling programs at the federal Minerals Management Service, will retire at the end of the month, becoming the Interior Department's first casualty of the disaster. Oynes has been criticized as too cozy with the oil industry.</p><p nodeIndex="12">-- The White House will establish a presidential commission to investigate the spill, according to an administration official speaking of condition of anonymity.</p><p nodeIndex="13">-- California Sen. Barbara Boxer and other Democrats are calling on the Justice Department to open a criminal investigation.</p><p nodeIndex="14">-- BP said it has spent $500 million on the spill so far.</p><p nodeIndex="15">-- The oil company said it will never again try to produce oil from the well, though it did not rule out drilling elsewhere in the reservoir. "The right thing to do is permanently plug this well, and that's what we will do," said Doug Suttles, BP chief operating officer.</p><p nodeIndex="16">William Hogarth, dean of the University of South Florida's College of Marine Science, said one computer model showed oil had already entered the loop current, while a second model showed the oil was three miles from it. Mike Sole, Florida's environmental protection secretary, said the edge could still be two to 18 miles away.</p><p nodeIndex="17">BP said it is having some success with a mile-long tube that is funneling a little more than 42,000 gallons of crude a day from the well into a tanker ship. That would be about a fifth of the 210,000 gallons the company estimated is gushing out each day, though scientists who have studied video of the leak say it could be much bigger.</p><p nodeIndex="18">Crews will slowly increase how much they are collecting over the next few days. They need to move slowly to prevent the formation of the ice-like crystals that doomed the effort to lower a big concrete-and-steel box over the blown-out well.</p><p nodeIndex="19">BP initially said it hoped the system would capture most of the leaking oil, but Suttles said Monday that officials would be pleased if the tube eventually sucks up half of it.</p><p nodeIndex="20">The siphoning is not a permanent solution. BP is preparing to shoot a mixture known as drilling mud into the well later this week in a procedure called a "top-kill" that would take several weeks but, if successful, would stop the flow altogether. Two relief wells are also being drilled to pump cement into the well to close it, but that will take months.</p><p nodeIndex="21">Chemicals being sprayed underwater are helping to disperse the oil and keep it from washing ashore in great quantities, but researchers said that in recent days they have discovered miles-long underwater plumes of oil that could poison or suffocate sea life across the food chain, with damage that could last for a decade or more.</p><p nodeIndex="22">The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday that the researchers' announcement of the oil plumes was premature and that further tests are needed to confirm that the plumes detected were indeed caused by the blowout.</p>

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that the media is over-reacting to the effect of oil in the loop current. More dilution is a good thing and is probably better for the overall health of the gulf. Although I am sure that those in South Florida will be horrified at the sight of a tar ball, the dilution effect of spreading the oil over more water should not allow any real environmental damage down there.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Dooms day crap again. If the loop current catches it and takes it around the keys it will stay in the Gulf stream current that runs anywhere from 15 to 40 miles offshore of Key West. Now if we have a hurricane that hits when the oil is off the Keys it could blow some into the shallow reefs That is whatever is left that the sun and seas hasn't burned off. Around Pensacola the normal East to West currents should keep the spill away from us. I was out diving last Friday and the East current on the three barges was swift almost too much to swim against.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It is astonishing to think that educated folks can look at the photos and videos of the oil then talk about how the government has blown it out of proportion. this is as bad as it has ever been in the gulf. I do not see how the oil reaching the gulf stream is a good thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh no no no, this is a great thing for it to spread into the loop current. It will diluteso even more of the eco system is exposed to it. Just ask sealark. It makes the tuna faster and more tasty. He knows all of it,,,Why he is a certified marine biologist from the university of WTF. He can tell you first hand because he dove the loop current the other day and all the fish were having a party in it. BP has hired him for the Research and PR team. They should leave the well flowing,,, its beneficial right sealark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
And everybody knows, if you can't see it,, it can be bad. Like this idiot. 'It wasn't like oil you can see"

And Charlie Henry, a scientific adviser from NOAA, said descriptions of "layers of oil" beneath the Gulf were "totally untrue."

"They were able to detect what we think is hydrocarbons in the water column. It was stated as oil, but it wasn't like oil you could see," Henry told reporters Monday afternoon

No,, it must be some other magical mixture they have found. I bet its Omega 3 fatty acids. We should go bottel it.

Cuse everybody knows full well, ,,,what you don't know can't hurt ya.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Everyone with a brain knows that the oil spill in the gulf is not a good thing. Precious lives have been lost (God Bless their souls) and marine life is endangered. BP certainly appears to have been negligent.My only question is why is our government and the press blowing this thingway out of proportion. To listen to the news and our government representitives you would think that the ocean has been damaged permanently and that it can never recover. Did anyone think to call Captain Planet or Chicken Little? Through all the hysteria I keep wondering what might be the hidden agenda. The current administration is no friendof Recreational fishing. The news media is causing a lot of real (not imagined) damage to the charter fleets by spreading this hysteria and the government is intent on making very large areas of the Gulf into no fishing zones. This was already being done before the oil spill just not to the extent it is now. Makes you wonder.

Bill1000

·
Registered
8 Posts
bill1000 (19/05/2010)Everyone with a brain knows that the oil spill in the gulf is not a good thing. Precious lives have been lost (God Bless their souls) and marine life is endangered. BP certainly appears to have been negligent.My only question is why is our government and the press blowing this thingway out of proportion. To listen to the news and our government representitives you would think that the ocean has been damaged permanently and that it can never recover. Did anyone think to call Captain Planet or Chicken Little? Through all the hysteria I keep wondering what might be the hidden agenda. The current administration is no friendof Recreational fishing. The news media is causing a lot of real (not imagined) damage to the charter fleets by spreading this hysteria and the government is intent on making very large areas of the Gulf into no fishing zones. This was already being done before the oil spill just not to the extent it is now. Makes you wonder.

Bill1000
Agreed, I don't think that anyone is saying that this isn't a big problem. If those people exist, I haven't seen or heard them.

The media and the people that give in to their crap are killing people that are no where near any affected areas.

What people don't understandare the self healingpowers of the gulf and surrounding land. Sure, it's bad, but why don't we hear about the 50+ ships(most of them oil tankers) that were sunk in the gulf during 1942 and 1943 during WWII? There were thick layers of oil all over the coast and in the waters that was left unattended to for years, and guess what...we survived. Amazing right?

This is a big problem, but please stop over reacting.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I guess I could break out my calculator again and try to demonstrate with cold hard arithmetic how absurd it is to try put forth the proposition that a body of water the size of the GOM could bespoiled to any lasting extent by a 6", 8", 21" or whatever inch pipe blowing out crude oil, brine, and natural gas at what ever flow rate you choose to believe. The fact is that for most people, if they saw someone peeing intoan olympic size pool it wouldn't matter how many facts or calculations about volume, dilution/attenuation, clorine levels or whateveryou presentedthem with, they would still see the entire 660,000 gallons as one big pool of piss.

From Wikipedia:

"The gulf basin is approximately 615,000 mi² (1.6 million km²). At its deepest it is 14,383 ft (4,384 m). The basin contains a volume of roughly <span style="text-decoration: underline;">660 quadrillion gallons."

So I guess that's now660,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of BP piss. I sure hope it don't make it out into the Atlantic....

·
Registered
34 Posts
<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage>I guess I could break out my calculator again and try to demonstrate with cold hard arithmetic how absurd it is to try put forth the proposition that a body of water the size of the GOM could bespoiled to any lasting extent by a 6", 8", 21" or whatever inch pipe blowing out crude oil, brine, and natural gas at what ever flow rate you choose to believe. The fact is that for most people, if they saw someone peeing intoan olympic size pool it wouldn't matter how many facts or calculations about volume, dilution/attenuation, clorine levels or whateveryou presentedthem with, they would still see the entire 660,000 gallons as one big pool of piss.

From Wikipedia:

"The gulf basin is approximately 615,000 mi² (1.6 million km²). At its deepest it is 14,383 ft (4,384 m). The basin contains a volume of roughly <span style="text-decoration: underline;">660 quadrillion gallons."

Yes its alive,, Idiots like you still have not evolved norbeen been eliminated from the human genetic pool. Tell me retard when exactly is your cut off of the poison. And if you use the stupid example of the ships sunk in 42,,,,hello there were no giant fishing fleets or records to document that affect. Friggin retards. the more you speak the more you reveal how slow your brain cell function. Please don't have children and put out a bad product for mistakes to continue. Break out that Calculator??Hey half mokey boy, I'm suprised your able to mimic how to use one. Hey mabe if You got in that olympic pool and let me pee directly in your mouthyou might get it. Maybe not. Cuse if you have a really big mouth it won't matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No its good,,, alanbarak and sealark the worlds greatest knowit alls of idiocrocsy have it well in hand. There are hundreds and thousandsof miles of marsh along tex,la,ms,al,fl to absorb it. Its cool. That wildlife all needs to perish to make their gene pools stronger. Its called forced evolution. They just invented it and are bringing their recent findings to bp for a new spin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another moron,

APE7205----"Agreed, I don't think that anyone is saying that this isn't a big problem. If those people exist (Hello sealark the idiot and his brother alanbarak), I haven't seen or heard them.

The media and the people that give in to their crap are killing people that are no where near any affected areas."

No lets wait till its on our front porch. Because if its not on your neighbors porch and you can catch fish today its cool. Then bitch 2 yrs from now when everything is crap. Oh wait it was ok for things to heal from 1942 till WHEN,,,NO RECORDS. NO fishery to document??? Oh yes thats a real good analogy.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Come on Sammy, you can do better than that....if you can't offer any scientificfactsto support your position at least you could offer some personal attacksbeyond the high school level. Practice over the weekend, I'll be back on Monday to grade your response.:moon

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
you know this OMG crap is getting old.....of the 24 dreadful tar balls found in the Keys and tested this week, they failed to point out, normally 600+ are found in the Keys annually and sent off for testing.......wonder if those may have been from the DH as well

I vividly remember being out on Pensacola Beach when I was about 6 or 7 and on several occasions during our week vacation, while playing, stepping on a tar ball and my mother chewing me up onside and down the other because she had to go get lighter fluid to clean it off my feet before we could go back into our hotel.........this was in the late 60's...........gotta loveDoom's Day media blast's, it sells and they're selling it to everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Grade???You couldn't grade a seaslug taking a dump. Oh wait maybe you could,,, I digress maybe you sealark couldif itate enough oil and had the runs. Yes you could gradethat I believe. Yes whip out your calculator and tellus the total volume and give it a grade for oily consistency and conversion to organic matter,,, oh master of all ocean biology, copious compendium of sea creatures and all things of marine life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gotta love this play it down today attitude because we havn't figured it out yet. Thenlatter it will be OH well nobody DREAMED of thatback then. Gosh We surely thought alaska would have recoverd, it wasn't us it was something else. It was a natural movement of the breeding and spawning grounds.

BP brought front sight focus to the issue with the callous remarks and actions just like many of you are with your "its not that bad, quit with the Chicken lil, OMG dooms day" remarks. Tired of the bad news,,,well, the really bad news is it ain't going away cuse you turn off the news. Its bad and quit listening to the BP spin. I'm really suprised that alot of folks that I thought were marine knowledgeable and aware are acting like this is OK. Dispersants,, Are you really so fing stupid to think that is ok? I guess in retrospect thats why these companies are so wealthy, the public at large is so gullable and really desires to look the otherway. man on the street dying, look the other way,,,woman getting raped in the alley,,,look the other way, kid getting beat in the store, look the other way.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
brnbser (20/05/2010)you know this OMG crap is getting old.....of the 24 dreadful tar balls found in the Keys and tested this week, they failed to point out, normally 600+ are found in the Keys annually and sent off for testing.......wonder if those may have been from the DH as well

I vividly remember being out on Pensacola Beach when I was about 6 or 7 and on several occasions during our week vacation, while playing, stepping on a tar ball and my mother chewing me up onside and down the other because she had to go get lighter fluid to clean it off my feet before we could go back into our hotel.........this was in the late 60's...........gotta loveDoom's Day media blast's, it sells and they're selling it to everyone.
Scott,

I remember the tar balls on the beaches as from when I was little and I wasn't born until 72 so it must have been in the late 70's early 80's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts