Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea so i got stopped yesterday and they gave me a ticket for my numbers on the boat being to close together.. ex. FL85562 instead of FL 78423 anybody heard of that i did'nt know such a thing is a there a reason?:banghead

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I've never heard of that one.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Man whatever happened to a warning. I believe I'd have to tell that guy to go pound sand. Up his arse that is. :moon

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
this is off Florida website..

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/vslfacts.html#8<P class=sectionr><A name=8></A>Numbering

The Florida registration number issued to a vessel is permanent and remains with the vessel as long as it is operated or stored in this state, even though its ownership may change.

The registration number issued to an undocumented vessel is to be painted or permanently attached to both sides of the bow (forward half) of the vessel and must be in block letters and numerals at least three inches high. The registration number must read from left to right, must contrast in color with the hull and be maintained in legible condition.

The prefix and suffix must be separated from the numerals by a space equal to the width of the digits, i.e., FL 0001 AB.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay guys i figured out the law when he gave me the ticket im just wondering why he gave me a citation for it instead of warning. i had everything else but just no spacing. maybe its because im a 19 yr. kid??? he said i might have the chance to take a picture of the modified numbers and get it revoked...maybe?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd re-work your numbers take a pic and see if they will void it. Tell them it was an honest mistake. Who knows!

·
Registered
261 Posts
YES! Me and a buddy were in the keys on his jet ski we pulled down there. He was ticketed for his numbers being difficult to read b/c they were colored. The kicker is- these were state issued stickers. WTF?

And that there my friend is why we get so pissed off at them. Couldn't they give you a warning? What an asshat! In my opionion, fines should only be issued if it is a danger to the public or marine life. You'd think there'd be plenty of violators to pick on, but I rarely hear those stories. geez- my respect for LEO's goes down another notch.

By the way- is this offense arguable. If there are any FL Statutes that define the distance between lettering, I'd like to know about it. I'd hate to get pulled over only to find out, my whistle isn't loud enough.

The biggest gang I know is called the Government.

·
Registered
261 Posts
bluffman2 (12/7/2007)this is off Florida website..

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/vslfacts.html#8<P class=sectionr><A name=8></A>Numbering

The Florida registration number issued to a vessel is permanent and remains with the vessel as long as it is operated or stored in this state, even though its ownership may change.

The registration number issued to an undocumented vessel is to be painted or permanently attached to both sides of the bow (forward half) of the vessel and must be in block letters and numerals at least three inches high. The registration number must read from left to right, must contrast in color with the hull and be maintained in legible condition.

The prefix and suffix must be separated from the numerals by a space equal to the width of the digits, i.e., FL 0001 AB.

Yep- there it is. You're a lawbreaker and you should be punished! Now go throw back 30 undersized snapper, boy!

·
little ol me !
582 Posts
I think it is important to remember that it is the responsibility of the citizen to obey the laws that pretain to what ever activity it is that he or she is doing.

If you are a boat owner, then know how to properly display the registration numbers. The FL legislature passed the laws, and the penalties, and then told the Marine Patrol, Coast Guard, State Trooper, Deputy Sherrifs, or whomever to enforce the laws.

If you don't properly display your numbers, or dim your headlights, or display a front plate, or drive even 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, whether or not you are coming down a hill towing a load, then you as the operator of the vehicle / vessel are responsible for whatever enforcement action a LEO decides to take. Don't blame the LEO for being a dick, the owner / operator is the one that goofed up.

Now, having said all that, LEO's are given some descretion in their enforcement options, to some extent at any rate. If I were a LEO of some sort I would have probably opted for some kind of warning. I have lived in states that have repair orders, in that you would be issued a ticket with a financial penalty, but, if within certain amount of time, you brought in proof that you had fixed what ever deficiency was noted, then you were good to go, no more ticket. I think a repair order would have probably been the most appropriate action for the registration number mix up.

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
I had my uncle (who is in the CG) correct me when I got my first boat a few years ago. The previous owner of the boat had placed the numbers without spaces and my uncle informed me that they do write tickets for that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
bigfishrookie (12/7/2007)YES! Me and a buddy were in the keys on his jet ski we pulled down there. He was ticketed for his numbers being difficult to read b/c they were colored. The kicker is- these were state issued stickers. WTF?

And that there my friend is why we get so pissed off at them. Couldn't they give you a warning? What an asshat! In my opionion, fines should only be issued if it is a danger to the public or marine life. You'd think there'd be plenty of violators to pick on, but I rarely hear those stories. geez- my respect for LEO's goes down another notch.

By the way- is this offense arguable. If there are any FL Statutes that define the distance between lettering, I'd like to know about it. I'd hate to get pulled over only to find out, my whistle isn't loud enough.

The biggest gang I know is called the Government.
You ever thought it may be your attitude that is the problem and not the government or law enforcment?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry for your luck! Ya know, I spent 6 years as an LEO and the only traffic citations I issued(other than written warnings) were forcriminal charges, ie. fleeing/eluding, DWLS, POP. Seemed there were always other more pressing, REAL crimes out there! If I did pull someone over for haulin' ass, if they were polite andhad a job(usually why they were speeding), I gave 'em a warning. Seemed to do the same job as a ticket! It just sucks that a coastie could not find anything better to do with the training and resources provided by our taxes! I bet if he had warned you and told you the nature ofthe offense, the numbers would've been fixed before the boat hit the water again! And to advise you to take a pic of the correction and move to have the citation, "revoked"...how chickenshit is that?! "I'm gonna waste the time and money to write this ticket so you can waste the time and money to erase this ticket." What a joke!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
:clap now thats an LEO worth having around, somebody thats not gonna bust your balls and write you a ticket b/c the light above the license plate is out. I think the CG has their dick heads too.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i was about to go fix the problem but it's rainy but hope to god that they will revoke this citation.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
billyk (12/7/2007)I think it is important to remember that it is the responsibility of the citizen to obey the laws that pretain to what ever activity it is that he or she is doing.

If you are a boat owner, then know how to properly display the registration numbers. The FL legislature passed the laws, and the penalties, and then told the Marine Patrol, Coast Guard, State Trooper, Deputy Sherrifs, or whomever to enforce the laws.

If you don't properly display your numbers, or dim your headlights, or display a front plate, or drive even 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, whether or not you are coming down a hill towing a load, then you as the operator of the vehicle / vessel are responsible for whatever enforcement action a LEO decides to take. Don't blame the LEO for being a dick, the owner / operator is the one that goofed up.

Now, having said all that, LEO's are given some descretion in their enforcement options, to some extent at any rate. If I were a LEO of some sort I would have probably opted for some kind of warning. I have lived in states that have repair orders, in that you would be issued a ticket with a financial penalty, but, if within certain amount of time, you brought in proof that you had fixed what ever deficiency was noted, then you were good to go, no more ticket. I think a repair order would have probably been the most appropriate action for the registration number mix up.

What he said!! :clap

·
Registered
993 Posts
BADBOY69 (12/7/2007)Sorry for your luck! Ya know, I spent 6 years as an LEO and the only traffic citations I issued(other than written warnings) were forcriminal charges, ie. fleeing/eluding, DWLS, POP. Seemed there were always other more pressing, REAL crimes out there! If I did pull someone over for haulin' ass, if they were polite andhad a job(usually why they were speeding), I gave 'em a warning. Seemed to do the same job as a ticket! It just sucks that a coastie could not find anything better to do with the training and resources provided by our taxes! I bet if he had warned you and told you the nature ofthe offense, the numbers would've been fixed before the boat hit the water again! And to advise you to take a pic of the correction and move to have the citation, "revoked"...how chickenshit is that?! "I'm gonna waste the time and money to write this ticket so you can waste the time and money to erase this ticket." What a joke!
:clap Finally someone with somecommon sense.While this leo is writing a ticket for spacing violations,some joker is filleting oversized redfish at the park or some drunk redneck is waking everyone in a no wake zone.:banghead

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You cant do anything for him. He's screwed!! Its entered in the Dept of Homeland Security data base. Because your a numbers violator, you will forever, from here on out, be searched in airport security check points, and probably be denied entrance back into the United States should you ever leave. Right now the IRS is probably going over your complete financial history, and Customs and Immigration is inside that unmarked van outside your house. The black helicopter circiling over your house if full of FBI and ATF agents, cause most numbers violators own weapons. But thats the least of your problems, cause you homes GPS position has been passed to a USN submarine and it has also targeted you house with a trident missal. Numbers violators are the scourge to society. It always starts off with boat numbering and goes to car registrations and license plates and who knows where it stops. The Govt is getting tough on you guys and gals. Its about time. Hilliary has made it the cornerstone of her campaign and has a govt run reward program (cabinet position too!!) for turning you all in. We need to get you people off the streets!! The World will be safer for the children when your all behind bars................................

One down and 10million to go

Rock on

BillD

BTW....in my 23 year in the CG I never wrote a violation for such crap!! It should be a warning, unless they have changed the CG4100 form. On anothe note though, I notice about 25% of the boats are numbered wrong......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts